What to do?

AlohaPride

We really want to see the Sled Dogs, but on our 14 day trip next Summer the ONLY ship option to see the dogs is in Juneau. We are also stopping in: Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Sitka, and Victoria. Are there any private tour companies and sled dog places in any of the other ports of call I have listed?

We have three children who will be 6, 5, and 3 at the time we sail. I'd love some other suggestions for excursions and things that shouldn't be missed in any of these ports. So far, there aren't any excursions in Sitka we'd be interested in doing with the cruise line.

Edited by AlohaPride

Yes, renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels is very doable on this itinerary. We've actually done it twice;)! You can also stop at the Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla on the way - very inexpensive dog cart rides there, wonderful museum and an additional opportunity to cuddle puppies! Martin's tour is really amazing - the first time we went, it was just DH and I along w/one other couple - talk about personal attention! Martin is personable, engaging and so enthusiastic. He adores children and treats his dogs like family - you and your kids would have a terrific time doing this tour! Cuddling the puppies at Martin's is so much fun, you can carry them around with you on the tour and while watching his presentation at the demo Iditarod checkpoint he has set up. Take photos of each other wearing Martin's coat and standing on the back of his sled. Watch the dogs train in their "hamster wheel" and enjoy watching the dogs jump up and down, barking in excitement when Martin gets the harness out and chooses a team to pull the sled around the dirt trail. They all seem to be shouting "Pick Me! Pick Me!" Note that cart rides are not available at Martin's kennel, however as I previously mentioned, the Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla does provide cartrides - with Reddington dogs no less!:D

The drive out to Big Lake (thru Wasilla) to Martin's kennel is very easy with lots of places to stop along the way. We rented a car from Enterprise, disembarked the ship in Anchorage, took a taxi to the 5th Ave. (I think) location and were off on our travels within a half hour. We stopped at the Eagle River Nature Center for a hike on the way back and had a really nice time. For the cost of a rental car (I believe it was $66.00 for the day in 2010 and $72.00 for the day in 2011), we had an amazing experience for our long port day in Anchorage (7AM-11PM).

As an FYI, I believe there is an 'Iditaride Experience' show run by the Seavey family right in Anchorage, google it to be sure - but that would be another option for your kids to get their dog fix for the trip!

Yes frugal, there is a cost for the kennel tour. Just checked the website and it was $38pp (adults) this year. Still a bargain for the personalized tour we got. Spending almost two hours with an Iditarod musher and hearing about life on the trail was interesting and exciting - glad we had the opportunity to do it - twice!

Yes, renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels is very doable on this itinerary. We've actually done it twice;)! You can also stop at the Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla on the way - very inexpensive dog cart rides there, wonderful museum and an additional opportunity to cuddle puppies! Martin's tour is really amazing - the first time we went, it was just DH and I along w/one other couple - talk about personal attention! Martin is personable, engaging and so enthusiastic. He adores children and treats his dogs like family - you and your kids would have a terrific time doing this tour! Cuddling the puppies at Martin's is so much fun, you can carry them around with you on the tour and while watching his presentation at the demo Iditarod checkpoint he has set up. Take photos of each other wearing Martin's coat and standing on the back of his sled. Watch the dogs train in their "hamster wheel" and enjoy watching the dogs jump up and down, barking in excitement when Martin gets the harness out and chooses a team to pull the sled around the dirt trail. They all seem to be shouting "Pick Me! Pick Me!" Note that cart rides are not available at Martin's kennel, however as I previously mentioned, the Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla does provide cartrides - with Reddington dogs no less!:D

The drive out to Big Lake (thru Wasilla) to Martin's kennel is very easy with lots of places to stop along the way. We rented a car from Enterprise, disembarked the ship in Anchorage, took a taxi to the 5th Ave. (I think) location and were off on our travels within a half hour. We stopped at the Eagle River Nature Center for a hike on the way back and had a really nice time. For the cost of a rental car (I believe it was $66.00 for the day in 2010 and $72.00 for the day in 2011), we had an amazing experience for our long port day in Anchorage (7AM-11PM).

As an FYI, I believe there is an 'Iditaride Experience' show run by the Seavey family right in Anchorage, google it to be sure - but that would be another option for your kids to get their dog fix for the trip!

The Seavey's haven't run the Iditaride Experience in Anchorage for the past two summer seasons.

We really want to see the Sled Dogs, but on our 14 day trip next Summer the ONLY ship option to see the dogs is in Juneau. We are also stopping in: Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Sitka, and Victoria. Are there any private tour companies and sled dog places in any of the other ports of call I have listed?

We have three children who will be 6, 5, and 3 at the time we sail. I'd love some other suggestions for excursions and things that shouldn't be missed in any of these ports. So far, there aren't any excursions in Sitka we'd be interested in doing with the cruise line.

We went ahead an booked the sled dogs in Juneau (along with the Mt. Roberts Tram).

I'm looking for suggestions for Homer, Kodiak, and Anchorage. I think we've narrowed down what we want to do in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka (unless anyone has any tips on getting to both the raptor center AND Fortress of the Bear without having to book through the cruise).

We went ahead an booked the sled dogs in Juneau (along with the Mt. Roberts Tram).

I'm looking for suggestions for Homer, Kodiak, and Anchorage. I think we've narrowed down what we want to do in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka (unless anyone has any tips on getting to both the raptor center AND Fortress of the Bear without having to book through the cruise).

For Anchorage this is a good day for a car rental with the long port time. Plenty to see and do, take a look at http://www.anchorage.net also, the Arm, MatSu area.

If you are going to the Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage, I would recommend the sled dog ride there over the one at the Iditorad HQ. We did them at both places last summer and it was twice as long at the Heritage Center. They had many more dogs to look at and a bunch of puppies as well. Cost was the same, $10 pp.

That 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam is wonderful. We have done it 2 times. We were going to do it again next year -- but have had to cancel it.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe there will be other options closer to next season?

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Looking for things to do in Homer and Kodiak now. I originally wanted to do the Russian Tea tour with the cruise line, but couldn't talk my husband into over $500 to book for our family LOL Sooooo. . .

Homer and Kodiak. Okay, GO!

Aloha Pride - please check out our Roll Call for the May 18, 2014 sailing of the Amsterdam where I outlined a bunch of suggestions for Homer.

For Kodiak, would highly recommend Dake from MemoryMakers. Personalized, 6 passenger van - $75pp for a 3 hour (I think) tour. He will take you to all the highlighted stops on Kodiak - Ft. Abercrombie (with many trails lined w/salmon berry bushes ripe for the plucking!), the mountain with the wind towers for stunning views of the harbor, the aqaurium, the harbor area to search for any 'Deadliest Catch' boats that may be in port or to search for the sealions near the pier, and out the road to search for bears fishing in the streams. If there is any specific site you would like to see or activity you'd like to participate in, he will personally tailor your tour to meet those specifications. Dake is a delightful, quirky guy with a real love for his town. Something your family would certainly enjoy.

Order the Kodiak Visitor's Guide - they have awesome driving tours listed, and rental cars in this port are inexpensive and certainly worthwhile.

Good luck in your mission!

AP you may want to rethink pre-booking Mt Roberts. It is very easy to do on your own and if the weather is not clear not much reason to go. FYI check out the Toursavers or Northern lights coupon books For all of your cities. It will save some on the museum tours.

FYI the pier in ANC is pretty restricted to cabs and HAL buses but the free HAL bus takes you to Eagan Center Downtown and runs often so do your planning based on travel from there. Not to far from fishing/viewing in Ship Creek but you may be to early.

Sightcrr