Amazon 2013 Silver Cloud

brimary

Approaching departure date silver box arrived.Have re read the Excellent thread from last November Amazon cruise which has been wonderful preparation thanks to all who contributed to that thread.One question re the meeting of the waters.There seem to be excursions from nearly every port visited ,which is the best one to witness this phenominum?Or in fact can it be witnessed from the Cloud at any particular place?

It can be witnessed from the ship. We saw it in several places, but I think my favorite was the excursion out of Manaus. The best shore excursion for us was the jungle hike with the survivalist.

Have a wonderful trip and stay cool!

Good morning BriMary - Hope you are both well and no doubt getting excited over your Amazon Adventure - its a wonderful trip and we wish you a superb time and safe journey. Hope to catch up with you in 2014. We have resolved our Wind ' Group ' issue and are now relocating to the Cloud in Sept - maybe see you aboard.? - meanwhile have fun.

Not certain what your itinerary is, but if it includes visits to one or more small villages can I suggest you take things - crayons, colouring books, maybe a few sweets etc. - for children. Our experience was that when a cruise ship called a stilted village with 15 homes produced a throng of 50 children from neighbouring villages. They could all say "dollar, dollar" but seemed equally happy with gifts. And be prepared for half a dozen of them to "adopt" you while you tour the village! It's actually quite charming.

Not certain what your itinerary is, but if it includes visits to one or more small villages can I suggest you take things - crayons, colouring books, maybe a few sweets etc. - for children. Our experience was that when a cruise ship called a stilted village with 15 homes produced a throng of 50 children from neighbouring villages. They could all say "dollar, dollar" but seemed equally happy with gifts. And be prepared for half a dozen of them to "adopt" you while you tour the village! It's actually quite charming.

Had not thought of that. Will do ....thanks.

A quick suggestion. While there were so many wonderful moments on our Amazon cruise, there are three which really stood out.

Since you'll be on the small Cloud, as were we, you will have a fantastic passage thru The Brevis Narrows. For hours you will be on this winding tributary and life along the way will be right up close. Little churches, houses, shops,people waving and shouting,dogs wagging. You'll never forget those few hours.

The other memorable moments were during the couple of hours we spent tied up overnight in Manaus. When everyone was at dinner we sat alone in the bar watching crowds of people loading the colorful river boats. These boats are just about the only method of transportation for people and goods, so the pier is hyper active pretty much all the time and especially at night. People bring what looked like all their belongings including their hammocks in which to sleep.. Native dress, chickens squawking in baskets, babies howling and toddlers running around mischievously ...sometimes so close to the edge of the piers that we were gasping. The parents hardly noticed!

Another really fun thing to do is to go piraña fishing. It was offered as an excursion which we took for a laugh. We laughed a lot! As I remember only one or two were actually caught but there were hundreds of bites, lost bait and hooks. Great fun!

You'll have an unforgettable trip. We are hoping to go again. Please let us know how you enjoy your adventure. I'd love to know about your favorite experiences.

CruisinPashmina..many thanks for your helpful suggestions which have encouraged the excitement buds to flow.Will make appropriate notes and do a brief review of our cruise when we return prior to christmas.

So glad you are going on the Cloud. I hear the ships will be switching around soon and the Whisper or the Shadowcwillbe in that part of the world. They are too large for Breves Narrows and will do the northern route. One of my favorite memories is watching kids row out in their dugouts from the jungle and take pictures of US on their cellphones!!! Funny.

Archived