RCI gives solos double points; will Celebrity do so soon?

Starry Eyes

Not officially announced, but confirmed by phone calls and recent cruisers' points tallies (including mine), Royal Caribbean is starting to give double C&A points to solo cruisers paying a single supplement. Princess has done this for some time and the RCI reps say they responded to customer suggestions on this issue.

There have been many threads about possible changes to the Captain's Club system. Since idle speculation is rampant (and arguably fun), I wonder if Captains Club might also consider double credits for solos if they get similar feedback from members. Thoughts?

I'm certain we will see Celebrity move to the RCI perks program. I envision it happening within 2 years, seeing the slow modifications being put in place along the way these days, and promises from X of additional tiers. I think that's all setting the stage for a planned transition/merge. Trying to get the small bits to match up now so the large bits later wont be so cumbersome.

Like at one time each brand at Marriott had a stand-alone rewards program, they merged programs and built loyalty since now people that had been loyal to the Fairfield inn brand, could now earn points at a Courtyard if staying in a market that had no Fairfield's where in the past they may have just as well chosen an off-brand all things the same.

Do I have any information to prove my theory - no, but it makes sense from a corporate perspective to have 1 loyalty scheme across brands to encourage loyalty, and save overhead costs and confusion from running 2 separate schemes. I love the thought of having RCI's ships and itineraries to ad onto those that the limited X fleet has and still earning points into a single program.

I'm certain we will see Celebrity move to the RCI perks program. I envision it happening within 2 years, seeing the slow modifications being put in place along the way these days, and promises from X of additional tiers. I think that's all setting the stage for a planned transition/merge. Trying to get the small bits to match up now so the large bits later wont be so cumbersome.

Like at one time each brand at Marriott had a stand-alone rewards program, they merged programs and built loyalty since now people that had been loyal to the Fairfield inn brand, could now earn points at a Courtyard if staying in a market that had no Fairfield's where in the past they may have just as well chosen an off-brand all things the same.

Do I have any information to prove my theory - no, but it makes sense from a corporate perspective to have 1 loyalty scheme across brands to encourage loyalty, and save overhead costs and confusion from running 2 separate schemes. I love the thought of having RCI's ships and itineraries to ad onto those that the limited X fleet has and still earning points into a single program.

I've been preaching from the same pulpit for quite some time and still waiting to be proved correct. The one thing I know for certain is that whatever may be done (if anything) some will be happy and some will complain. Celebrity is not a charity, they are a profit centered business. They will make decisions that they feel will serve to boost their bottom line.

Not officially announced, but confirmed by phone calls and recent cruisers' points tallies (including mine), Royal Caribbean is starting to give double C&A points to solo cruisers paying a single supplement. Princess has done this for some time and the RCI reps say they responded to customer suggestions on this issue.

There have been many threads about possible changes to the Captain's Club system. Since idle speculation is rampant (and arguably fun), I wonder if Captains Club might also consider double credits for solos if they get similar feedback from members. Thoughts?

Hi Starry Eyes,

Rumor has it, that Celebrity is planning updates to their Captains Club program. Who knows when, but I believe it will be sooner than later. FYI, we've had numerous threads making similar requests, from guests paying 200%. IMO, If you are paying double, it makes sense to receive double points, and I'd like to see it happen.

I've been preaching from the same pulpit for quite some time and still waiting to be proved correct. The one thing I know for certain is that whatever may be done (if anything) some will be happy and some will complain. Celebrity is not a charity, they are a profit centered business. They will make decisions that they feel will serve to boost their bottom line.

Good post Orator. While I'm hopeful that our community will be pleased with whatever Celebrity may be planning, it's all but impossible to please everyone, at all times. As long as it appeals to the bulk of Captains Club members, Celebrity will likely consider it a victory. We'll see what happens.

Hi Starry Eyes,

Rumor has it, that Celebrity is planning updates to their Captains Club program. Who knows when, but I believe it will be sooner than later. FYI, we've had numerous threads making similar requests, from guests paying 200%. IMO, If you are paying double, it makes sense to receive double points, and I'd like to see it happen.

Hi Andy:

I agree in principle that they should give double points to those paying double. This would mark a significant change in how points are given by incorporating dollars into the equation. Following the same logic that would justify double points for double dollars Celebrity should give higher points for those in Suites. One problem would be to decide at what level of spending more points would kick in. I heard long ago that Celebrity was developing a formula that would include total spending as a part of the Loyalty equation.

From a fairness perspective this should have been done a long time ago....

I truly believed that it would eventually happen after Michael Baylay did the question and answer thing on cruisecritic.

I think it is crazy that concierge class gets an extra point, sometimes for five or ten dollars over the price of a regular balcony cabin....and sometimes less than a regular cabin....and I pay double for my room and I get one credit.......

From a fairness perspective this should have been done a long time ago....

I truly believed that it would eventually happen after Michael Baylay did the question and answer thing on cruisecritic.

I think it is crazy that concierge class gets an extra point, sometimes for five or ten dollars over the price of a regular balcony cabin....and sometimes less than a regular cabin....and I pay double for my room and I get one credit.......

I totally agree with you on both points.

Perhaps, I am uniformed but I thought that the points were per cabin, and not per person.

Each person has a separate account as indicated by their individual Captain's Club number. The points are posted on each individual account. That's why two Elites sharing the same cabin receive their own set of coupons.

Perhaps, I am uniformed but I thought that the points were per cabin, and not per person.

No... it's per person, with the number of points increasing for Concierge and above, and for longer duration sailings.

If it were per cabin a third passenger sharing a cabin wouldn't receive any points when in fact they do.

No... it's per person, with the number of points increasing for Concierge and above, and for longer duration sailings.

If it were per cabin a third passenger sharing a cabin wouldn't receive any points when in fact they do.

So if one of us dies before the other, the survivor would still be entitled to the total points we shared as a couple? We are somewhere in the mid twenties; hence, if my wife predecases me then I would still be entitled to those twenty some points? If this is the case, then it would seem to be fair to give double points to solo cruisers. If this is not the case, then it would also appear to be fair to leave the system as it is.

So if one of us dies before the other, the survivor would still be entitled to the total points we shared as a couple? We are somewhere in the mid twenties; hence, if my wife predecases me then I would still be entitled to those twenty some points? If this is the case, then it would seem to be fair to give double points to solo cruisers. If this is not the case, then it would also appear to be fair to leave the system as it is.

Jack, you and your wife should each have a Captain's Club account. When you sail together, each of you gets credit(s) for the cruise in your separate account numbers. So, if you sail together each and every time, you should each have the same number of credits in your accounts. So, predeceasing or splitting up are not issues; you each have credits.

No that is incorrect - if one dies before the other you are not entitled to earn their points.

Solo cruisers are entitled to double points because they pay double (or as close as) the price IMHO.

I am hopping that StarryEyes is correct; and, his or her description seems logical. With regard to the post after StarryEyes, I am somewhat sceptical since that person alludes to not being able to acquire the credits of the deceased in a manner which does not really make sense. Also, this person seems to believe that solo cruisers are already entitled to double points on Celebrity which is not, at this time, the case.

The views of StarryEyes present an interesting scenario, as follows: the wife and I each earn two points for a ten night cruise in AQ (this figure is used only for comparison), whereas, a solo also earns two points for the same cruise. Since the cruise fare would be essentially the same for both cabins. it appears that there is no unfairness for the solo cruiser, because that person would achieve the same points as each of the folks in the double occupancy cabin. In short, since the couple cannot transfer their points to one another the point situation would be the same for couples and the solos.

The only true disparity is the cruise fare for solos, which I do not believe will ever change.

I am hopping that StarryEyes is correct; and, his or her description seems logical. With regard to the post after StarryEyes, I am somewhat sceptical since that person alludes to not being able to acquire the credits of the deceased in a manner which does not really make sense. Also, this person seems to believe that solo cruisers are already entitled to double points on Celebrity which is not, at this time, the case.

The views of StarryEyes present an interesting scenario, as follows: the wife and I each earn two points for a ten night cruise in AQ (this figure is used only for comparison), whereas, a solo also earns two points for the same cruise. Since the cruise fare would be essentially the same for both cabins. it appears that there is no unfairness for the solo cruiser, because that person would achieve the same points as each of the folks in the double occupancy cabin. In short, since the couple cannot transfer their points to one another the point situation would be the same for couples and the solos.

The only true disparity is the cruise fare for solos, which I do not believe will ever change.

yes, it is about cruise fare discrepency. Fairness there is a debatable point, Jack. If husband and wife take five cruises in AQ, each 1-11 days in length, husband will get ten credits and wife will get ten credits, so a total of 20 credits have been given between the two accounts. A single paying full supplement will have spent as much money, and only ten credits total are granted. Fair? Opinions might vary. Every Celebrity cruise I have taken has been with my DH so I feel fairly treated. Solos pay more, consume less and may not feel they are fairly treated under the current system. it is an interesting discussion point, and I thought solos here might be interested to hear that Royal Caribbean has made a change.

In any case, I wish you and your wife many years of happy sailings together. during those years, whether solos get single or double credits will not impact you either way. I am hoping the issue will not directly impact me for years either.

yes, it is about cruise fare discrepency. Fairness there is a debatable point, Jack. If husband and wife take five cruises in AQ, each 1-11 days in length, husband will get ten credits and wife will get ten credits, so a total of 20 credits have been given between the two accounts. A single paying full supplement will have spent as much money, and only ten credits total are granted. Fair? Opinions might vary. Every Celebrity cruise I have taken has been with my DH so I feel fairly treated. Solos pay more, consume less and may not feel they are fairly treated under the current system. it is an interesting discussion point, and I thought solos here might be interested to hear that Royal Caribbean has made a change.

In any case, I wish you and your wife many years of happy sailings together. during those years, whether solos get single or double credits will not impact you either way. I am hoping the issue will not directly impact me for years either.

Very well said.

Starry Eyes, under your scenario, each party would only receive ten credits; hence, the only advantage to the couple as opposed to the solo would be double coupons for the cleaning, and washing etc. All three could attend the elite breakfast and happy hour.

On balance, it appears that the real disparity, which will probably not change, is in the cost of the cabin, not the cruise credits.

Starry Eyes, under your scenario, each party would only receive ten credits; hence, the only advantage to the couple as opposed to the solo would be double coupons for the cleaning, and washing etc. All three could attend the elite breakfast and happy hour.

On balance, it appears that the real disparity, which will probably not change, is in the cost of the cabin, not the cruise credits.

Yes, we agree it is a cabin cost issue. The single pays double for the cabin yet gets single credits. I understand your point of view; many couple likely share it (note I am part of a couple, so blissfully uneffected at the moment). As I said previously, I wish you and your wife many more years of happy sailings together. If ever you must sail solo in the future, you'll likely see the other side of this issue.

The number of cruise credits one has earned/may earn is relatively--and perhaps, totally, if at the top loyalty level--immaterial regardless of the tier structure in place...

Under the present structure, a solo Elite Member receives half of the loyalty benefits--laundry and internet time are notably material--than a couple does for equal cruise time/equal cruise spend... Those practices theoretically imply that a solo should somehow need to pack twice as much so as to take full advantage of the per member laundry benefit or somehow has less need to stay connected than a twosome does... It's not just been inequitable, it's been downright silly!

Leveling the playing field from a cruise credit perspective may be a nice start if it comes to pass but it remains to be seen what--if anything--is done to level the loyalty benefits and to set promotional onboard pricing [1/2 Price versus 2-for-1 bar and specialty dining offers, for instance] for a trending demographic that most guests will eventually join...

Stary Eyes, I already see the other side, and it is simple; a solo should not have to pay the same amount for a cabin as a couple. However, I can also see the position of the cruise line, which is not a charity, but a business with obligations to its stockholders etc. Perhaps, the best solution would a permanent reduction in the fares for solos, maybe at 175%.

Stary Eyes, I already see the other side, and it is simple; a solo should not have to pay the same amount for a cabin as a couple. However, I can also see the position of the cruise line, which is not a charity, but a business with obligations to its stockholders etc. Perhaps, the best solution would a permanent reduction in the fares for solos, maybe at 175%.

Ah, that only raises more debatable points. The solo is occupying the space usually occupied by two, and space is a huge issue on every cruise ship. and only one person is potentially drinking, gambling, specialty dining, booking excursions and so on. That is why the cruiselines often use a 200% single supplement. Fair treatment? debatable.

I think the cruise lines would sooner give extra loyalty credits rather than reduce every single supplement on every cruise.

Now there are two cruiselines (that I know of) that give solo cruisers extra loyalty points...Princess (longstanding) and Royal Caribbean (brand new policy change). As the same corportation owns Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, it will be interesting if the extra loyalty policy bleeds over to their other lines.

I do not currently have much skin in this game. So, for me this is just an good natured intellectual exercise. I love a good debate...maybe a carry over for the old high school debate team. or maybe that why I was "drafted" by the debate coach.

Sadly, I believe that the possibility of fare reductions is improbable, but it would be nice. Extra cruise credits might be nice, but I do not believe that it would persuade many solos to cruise. One down side of the latter is that it would increase the number of elites, which might redound to the disadvantage of other elite cruisers. Lastly, and while it is not a major benefit, solos do pay half as much in tips, prepaid or auto tip, as do couples.

Vis-a-vis debates-I spent most of my earlier adult life doing the same in many courtrooms in different jurisdictions.

Archived