Can I take a steamer?

VacationsRme

I think so. I have sailed several times with Royal Caribbean, and they do not allow irons, but have always allowed my steamer to go through. It is all plastic. It's a Rowlenta, with no metal parts, so I do not know if that makes a difference. Will be sailing with Princess in a few weeks and do plan on taking mine, for my finer clothes that I can not iron.

Leaving tomorrow for a cruise on Princess Caribbean. First time Princess cruiser. Can I take a cloths steamer?

I see you've never sailed Princess before, so you may not realize that you don't need your steamer. Princess ships have passenger laundries on every deck, with irons and ironing boards free for your use. Check out the deck plans to see where the closest one is to your cabin (some are forward and some are aft). So you can leave the steamer at home and take more shoes!

P.S. It's the Caribbean Princess, not the "Princess Caribbean." Don't want you to be looking for the wrong ship . . .

I've taken a small clothes steamer with me on a couple of cruises and had no problems. I do use the irons & ironing boards in the laundry rooms for many items (yeah, I don't like wrinkles), but a steamer works much better for sheer and lightweight fabrics.

The laundry rooms have free steam irons. You can use the steam iron as a steamer. Why pack extra stuff if you don't have to.

FYI for your 1st Princess cruise. When you board go directly to your cabin. No waiting. Drop your carry ons, place your valuables into the room safe and set out for lunch or exploring the ship. Lots of free dining options. One MDR normally open from noon to 1:30. Other options open all day and evening include The Int'l Cafe on deck 5 in the Piazza, a favorite of ours, and on the Lido Deck The Trident Grill, Prego Pizza, and The Horizon Ct. Buffet.

On Princess the muster drill is held indoors in the lounges on deck 7. Your muster station is shown on your life jacket and on the inside of your stateroom door. Carry, don't wear, your life jacket to the muster drill. You will be instructed to put it on at the drill.

We've never had any trouble getting our steamer on board Princess. Some have reported them wanting to have a look at steamers depending on what their x-ray signature looks like...if it looks like an iron, etc.

From Princess FAQ:

Take advantage of our onboard laundry, press-only and professional cleaning service for a nominal fee. All laundry is returned within 48 hours, or on the same day with our express service.

Full suite passengers and Elite Captain’s Circle members also enjoy complimentary laundry and professional cleaning service, except for Presto service, which carries a charge.

For your convenience, Princess vessels have self-service launderettes where washers, dryers and laundry products are available for a negligible charge. Please note that irons/ironing boards are available in the self-service laundry rooms. Ironing and using personal clothes steamers are not permitted in any stateroom. Although rare, on certain itineraries environmental regulations relating to the consumption of water may impact the operating hours of the launderettes. These restrictions, when applicable will be posted in the Princess Patter.

Though I know of some people that have brought and used steamers without issue!

Over the years I find that if I take our light-weight clothes out of the suitcase, hang them on a hanger and hang them in the bathroom during our evening showers, most, if not all, of the wrinkles fall out. The towel rack is right next to the shower and the moisture (keeping the bathroom door closed) does a really good job.

There is a difference between a steam iron and a personal clothing steamer. I have brought mine in the past and not had a problem. However, this is the first time I have seen in the official rules "personal clothing steamers" are not allowed, so I am not sure what I will do now. Although I do believe that my curling iron requires more electricity and is a bigger fire hazzard than a personal steamer. But they aren't about to tell ladies they can't take their curling irons.

I have tried the wrinkle sprays, the hanging in the steamy shower, the anti-wrinkle packing boards, etc to no avail on much of my clothing. Even the stuff packed in a hanging bag comes out wrinkled. The cost of being thin and curvy I guess. Your clothes just don't pack flat.

Archived