Question of interest as to ports

Hawaiidan

Yes weather IS pretty Predictable. I have sailed and commanded boats and ships around the pacific and Atlantic from 42 ft to 685 ft..

Trust me you were lucky...

Don't trust me, and get the navigation book " Sailing Routes of The World. Pick up a regional "Pilot chart"

These 2 document, by month, currents, sea state, wind, storm patterns. These are bibles for a Captain and his Navigator. They are the compilation of decades of collected data . Figures don't lie.

Sincerely these sources are available to Mariners from serious supply companies that are the standard for the worlds sailors amature or professional .

When you want serious input on what your cruise will be like

The Caribe is a lake, because it is sheltered on 3 sides, and even in hurricane seldom develops the sharp nasty sea. It gets swells and surges but not the large steep seas because of its hundreds of closely related islands... Limited fetch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Horn is the most violent weather and collision of Pacific and Atlantic so violent the fish from either side can not swim around it!

Home to the 110 ft seas that have broken up 1000 ft super ships and capsized them.

Look up:

The Bass Straights, The Washington/Oregon coast and Juan De Fuca. Tasman sea north of New Zealand Cape St George, Columbia Bar, Point Conception, Ahanalua channel, Hawaii, Bering Sea, Drakes Passage. Cape of Good Hope. South China Sea, Look em up for fun... e( ever see a 1200 ft aircraft carrier bury her flight deck? )

Going Sydney to New Zealand is far different than going New Zealand or New Caledonia to Sydney,

Now a quick comment about Alaska, a cruise to Alaska or Hawaii is good as an introduction to the place to serve as the basis for future land visits because neither can be seen in one day sea based stops. A 7 day cruise to either followed by a 7 to 10 day land exploration is ideal. not another cruise.

Yup, I know we were lucky with our Cape Horn transit, but not so in the South China Sea. That was pretty rough. But the Capt. was still having dinner in Pole so I guess he did not think it was as rough as we thought. In the Carib we were between 2 hurricanes after we came out of the canal. One in front of us and one at our rear. Also a little tough for a few days. Will not stop us from going on more cruses. We love it. Richie :)

Yes weather IS pretty Predictable. I have sailed and commanded boats and ships around the pacific and Atlantic from 42 ft to 685 ft..

Don't trust me, and get the navigation book " Sailing Routes of The World. Pick up a regional "Pilot chart"

These 2 document, by month, currents, sea state, wind, storm patterns. These are bibles for a Captain and his Navigator. They are the compilation of decades of collected data . Figures don't lie.

Sincerely these sources are available to Mariners from serious supply companies that are the standard for the worlds sailors amature or professional .

The Caribe is a lake, because it is sheltered on 3 sides, and even in hurricane seldom develops the sharp nasty sea. It gets swells and surges but not the large steep seas because of its hundreds of closely related islands... Limited fetch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Horn is the most violent weather and collision of Pacific and Atlantic so violent the fish from either side can not swim around it!

Home to the 110 ft seas that have broken up 1000 ft super ships and capsized them.

Look up:

The Bass Straights, The Washington/Oregon coast and Juan De Fuca. Tasman sea north of New Zealand Cape St George, Columbia Bar, Point Conception, Ahanalua channel, Hawaii, Bering Sea, Drakes Passage. Cape of Good Hope. South China Sea, Look em up for fun... e( ever see a 1200 ft aircraft carrier bury her flight deck? )

Going Sydney to New Zealand is far different than going New Zealand or New Caledonia to Sydney,

Now a quick comment about Alaska, a cruise to Alaska or Hawaii is good as an introduction to the place to serve as the basis for future land visits because neither can be seen in one day sea based stops. A 7 day cruise to either followed by a 7 to 10 day land exploration is ideal. not another cruise.

going from OZ to NZ? Never knew that!! ...or most of what you share with us!! Thanks!! LuAnn

Look up:

Going from Brisbane to Sydney any better? That's the way we are going for better or worse. Need to get to Sydney or we won't get home. I am sure we will be able to handle whatever comes our way. cant wait to go on this trip. Sounds very exciting.

:rolleyes:

Going from Brisbane to Sydney any better? That's the way we are going for better or worse. Need to get to Sydney or we won't get home. I am sure we will be able to handle whatever comes our way. cant wait to go on this trip. Sounds very exciting.

The Tasman sea to Australia as the Gulf of Alaska is to north America... the birth place of storms...In the North hurricanes, to the southern hemispheres . cyclones typhoons (same stuff different name)

The currents so created impact the coast of Australia and northern New Zealand as well as the South China Sea. Running hard and fast they well up as the hit the land mass of Australia creating . The longer the time and distance the more the swell ( called Fetch)

Ships from the west coast of Australia seek a diagonal course to head into to the swell and pick a speed so as not to hammer the hull.

Running with the current as going from the north to south the ship picks up speed in the current ( speed+ current= true speed) and it creates hammering and to keep up steerage of the ship, it needs to maintain its speed.

The two together create a dynamic than like sea fetch make the trip, hour by hour more and more rough. When you head into it you can adjust speed to where it does not hammer the ship. Sailing north off of Baja while a ship can do 10 kts sailing over 6 kts will produce a resonate effect on the hull. The faster you go the worse. You have to strike a medimum.

And that dear friends is how the world works... stabilizers:eek: or not.

:rolleyes:

The Tasman sea to Australia as the Gulf of Alaska is to north America... the birth place of storms...In the North hurricanes, to the southern hemispheres . cyclones typhoons (same stuff different name)

The currents so created impact the coast of Australia and northern New Zealand as well as the South China Sea. Running hard and fast they well up as the hit the land mass of Australia creating . The longer the time and distance the more the swell ( called Fetch)

Ships from the west coast of Australia seek a diagonal course to head into to the swell and pick a speed so as not to hammer the hull.

Running with the current as going from the north to south the ship picks up speed in the current ( speed+ current= true speed) and it creates hammering and to keep up steerage of the ship, it needs to maintain its speed.

The two together create a dynamic than like sea fetch make the trip, hour by hour more and more rough. When you head into it you can adjust speed to where it does not hammer the ship. Sailing north off of Baja while a ship can do 10 kts sailing over 6 kts will produce a resonate effect on the hull. The faster you go the worse. You have to strike a medimum.

And that dear friends is how the world works... stabilizers:eek: or not.

Hay, give us a break! Much too info.for me. Are we going to be O.K. or not? I have no clue about the tech. info you are talking about. I thank you for posting this info, but since I have am a landlubber, mostly I do not follow all the good stuff you are telling us. In english please.

Hay, give us a break! Much too info.for me. Are we going to be O.K. or not? I have no clue about the tech. info you are talking about. I thank you for posting this info, but since I have am a landlubber, mostly I do not follow all the good stuff you are telling us. In english please.

Go look the stuff up....It will be an education. I do not know how much clearer I could have been?

Go look the stuff up....It will be an education. I do not know how much clearer I could have been?

I guess it is too much info for me Will try to look some of this up but we will find out when we get there. It's a nice try, but I am not ready to go back to school. Thanks again for your good posts. Richie :):)

Crossing the Tasmanian Sea was the roughest time I've ever experienced on a cruise ship, but it is survivable. I was green, in bed, for a day, and assumed it was because I am rather prone to motion sickness. But I later heard from hubby that hardly anyone was out and about on the ship, and that the crew had hung sea sickness bags in many strategic locations. I felt much better about being a weanie.

Meanwhile, hubby went to breakfast in the dining room and was eating like a champ, watching the excitement as large decorative jars of marinating fruit and herbs went flying off of display shelves and crashed to the ground, and crew were trying to stabilize chairs and tables from sliding into glass walls. After many "angles and dangles" exercises from years on a submarine, he didn't find this to be much of a bother.

Every night the Ship sets sail, goes out to sea and returns to the same Island but at a different Port. Same Cab Drivers....same Jewellery Shops, Hotels and the list goes on.

Hmm. There's your problem right there - go past those same jewellery shops, same hotels, etc and really see the place.:p

Coming from the land of ice and snow, if I had the time and money to also see every other place that interests me, I could happily re-visit the Caribbean every winter. To escape a cold winter and snorkel in azure waters never gets old. (Snorkelling in Lake Erie in January is very poor)

My husband and I have been lucky enough to be amongst the cruisers who have taken about 70 or more over the past 20 years. We live by the South Florida piers - Ft. Lauderdale is 15 minutes away and Miami is about a 45 minute drive. About 55 of our cruises have been to the Bahamas and Caribbean - the rest in Europe, French Polynesia, Antarctica, and the Galapagos.

If we want to see the sights, we tend to take land trips - you can't get too much sightseeing done in an 8 hour port stop in great places like Stockholm or Copenhagen and we rather have overnights in Dubrovnik to appreciate the sights after the cruise ship masses have left. Certain places are really only accessible on cruise ships - like the Galapagos and Antarctica.

I could go to the Caribbean constantly on a cruise ship if I had the time and finances. The ports are not that interesting, especially after having been to all of them so many times, but it is the cruise experience that I like - great meals and a balcony to lie on is the only requirements. If the entertainment is good, that is a plus, but cruising is a getaway and even if our only entertainment is eachother and a good book, we are happy.

So, in answer to the original posters question, everything is what you make of it and a Caribbean cruise to use is not an island extravaganza with fabulous sites , but a getway. I would not fly from all over the country to do it over and over, but if it is easy to get to the ship, we will sail.

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this aspect, but for me, part of it is just being on the ocean. Love it. We'll see how I handle my upcoming TA, but I suspect if the weather's decent, I'll be spending significant time sitting out on my balcony watching the flying fish, as I do in the Caribbean.

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this aspect, but for me, part of it is just being on the ocean. Love it. We'll see how I handle my upcoming TA, but I suspect if the weather's decent, I'll be spending significant time sitting out on my balcony watching the flying fish, as I do in the Caribbean.

Are they flying fish...or swimming birds!

While this about ports as I originaly posted and why people choose to do what they do a lot like just being on a ship....PERIOD>

I can understand that and why I seek out longer cruises with as many sea days as possible.... As some have so alluded, they would be happy for a cruise with no ports that just cruised along.

To me the best of both worlds are the 30 day+ cruise with over 20 sea days in that time.

Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts.:D

Are they flying fish...or swimming birds!

While this about ports as I originaly posted and why people choose to do what they do a lot like just being on a ship....PERIOD>

I can understand that and why I seek out longer cruises with as many sea days as possible.... As some have so alluded, they would be happy for a cruise with no ports that just cruised along.

To me the best of both worlds are the 30 day+ cruise with over 20 sea days in that time.

Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts.:D

"talked" before about the USS Midway...as my DH is a docent there...and you were in the past. (And he was on the FDR) We are going to be in Kona on 11/29 on the Century...and I was wondering if you might like to get together..maybe for a drink/lunch? I think you and DH would have a lot of fun enjoying stories of the Midway etc. You can email me at kilgast at cox dot net Your choice...but might be fun?? LuAnn

Archived