Might need to cancel......didn't buy insurance!!

Dave08

We had planned a family cruise back in December of last year. One of the people going on the cruise is my wife's 89 year old grandmother. She has not had any medical issues or shown any signs of illness until just a couple of weeks ago.

She had to be hospitalized and we are fairly certain she is not going to be able to make our Nov 16th cruise. Shame on me because I booked the cruises and flights and it didn't even cross my mind at the time to buy insurance. Based on what I have read, even if I buy the travel insurance now it will not cover us having to cancel her trip.

Does anybody know of any travel insurance we can purchase in order to help offset some of the loss, or is it just tough luck? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

We had planned a family cruise back in December of last year. One of the people going on the cruise is my wife's 89 year old grandmother. She has not had any medical issues or shown any signs of illness until just a couple of weeks ago.

She had to be hospitalized and we are fairly certain she is not going to be able to make our Nov 16th cruise. Shame on me because I booked the cruises and flights and it didn't even cross my mind at the time to buy insurance. Based on what I have read, even if I buy the travel insurance now it will not cover us having to cancel her trip.

Does anybody know of any travel insurance we can purchase in order to help offset some of the loss, or is it just tough luck? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I don't really know, but if you booked through a travel agent, I would see if he/she can suggest something. Good luck.

Although I do not know for sure, it seriously doubt if you can buy an insurance policy that covers any event after the event has occurred. What you are asking about would be the equivalent of buying fire insurance as or after your house has burned down or buying burglary insurance after you have been robbed.

DON

There is probably no plan that exists that would help. Even providers like Travelex that do not apply pre-ex exclusions to non-traveling family members will likely exclude your claim under the idea that the event that is making you thinking of canceling has already happened. If she was just ill right now, but not in a state where you'd have to cancel, they might could help...

Although I do not know for sure, it seriously doubt if you can buy an insurance policy that covers any event after the event has occurred. What you are asking about would be the equivalent of buying fire insurance as or after your house has burned down or buying burglary insurance after you have been robbed.

DON

You do make a valid point and I understand what I am asking is a long shot. I just thought it was worth a shot to see if anyone was aware of any insurance available that you could cancel for any reason at this point. I know there is insurance available that does allow this, but we are too far past the window to purchase it.

As stated, you are far too late to purchase insurance. You can't insure a known event.

IMO, an 89 year old has no business traveling without trip insurance. Her Medicare (assuming she has this) wouldn't cover her out-of-the country.

Sometimes we just have to live and learn. Hopefully, she will make a full recovery and be able to take this trip.

Archived