"Blown away" by the Royal Sanctuary & Retreat

anskt

None. On the other hand, the only people I ever saw in that area were talking with the people in the cabana. No one else was really trying to occupy that area, at least not on our cruise. I do have to say that, over all, the people in the Retreat Pool area seemed to be very "adult" about the situation - if you will - and everyone seemed to be respectful of one another and to "play well together". The only grumbling I heard had to do with the usual chair hogging, especially in the early morning: people leaving towels, books, bags, etc., on loungers and disappearing for hours on end. But, that happens on every ship.

Thanks for the reply.....:):):)

Bob

Perhaps the North Atlantic in October isn't very conducive to lounging around a pool area anyway, so that may have had something to do with the lack of activity in the Retreat cabanas? On our Caribbean sailing last week, the cabanas were very busy and popular. I can't say they were 100% booked at all times, but whenever we walked by they sure looked busy
Seeing as how it was the southern route from Madeira to FLL, it was warm (even hot) and sunny every day with a passing shower the day before disembarkation so cold weather was definitely not a factor in the cabanas being empty. Perhaps it was a different passenger make-up with many older passengers (who know that if you sit in the sun, you'll be seeing your dermatologist very soon to have something burned off.) I know it'll be very different in September on her T/A from Copenhagen to NYC, which is the northern route. The weather will be cold and not conducive to being outdoors for probably most of the cruise. It'll be interesting to see how crowded the inside spaces will be with so much unusable.

None. On the other hand, the only people I ever saw in that area were talking with the people in the cabana. No one else was really trying to occupy that area, at least not on our cruise. I do have to say that, over all, the people in the Retreat Pool area seemed to be very "adult" about the situation - if you will - and everyone seemed to be respectful of one another and to "play well together". The only grumbling I heard had to do with the usual chair hogging, especially in the early morning: people leaving towels, books, bags, etc., on loungers and disappearing for hours on end. But, that happens on every ship.

During our cruise, at one point, my partner witnessed a chair hog situation in The Retreat that almost came to blows. Crew hands got involved to help diffuse the situation.

During our cruise, at one point, my partner witnessed a chair hog situation in The Retreat that almost came to blows. Crew hands got involved to help diffuse the situation.

We did not witness anything like that. But, I was actually heartened on the very first sea day to see a deck attendant make a point of paying attention to empty loungers and then, later, make a round and remove items - primarily towels, but including one "beach bag" - from about a half dozen "prime loungers". Of course, these were immediately occupied, but I never saw anyone return or cause a ruckus for the remainder of my time there that day. I had hoped the deck attendants would be as vigilant the rest of the cruise, but no such luck. Though, again, I didn't notice this being a really big issue later in the day.

We sailed the maiden Caribbean voyage. The Retreat area was very windy on sea days. Sometimes water had blown over a large part of the deck around the pool.

I remember seeing palm trees at the pools in the original drawings of the Royal. When we sailed, they had tall square plastic boxwood topiaries. I figured the palm trees must have went the way of the dueling glass pianos, LOL. I didn't realize the Royal started with the palm trees and they replaced them.

I don't know how long the topiaries will last. They look okay for what they are, but we once saw a small child pulling pieces off of one and throwing them in the pool. (avoiding comment on parenting)

I like the concept of greenery on the pool deck. I just don't know how well it's going to work in the long run.

The palm trees were replaced with the topiaries during the Ft Lauderdale turnaround day after the TA before the 2 day VIP/travel agent's cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the 11/17 Royal sailing, and the Retreat Pool was very windy on the days we were at sea. I attached a picture to give you an idea. We also found that the chairs situated on the sides of the Sanctuary were picking up a lot of wind. We had to line our chairs with about 4 towels in order to hold them down in the wind! At first I was disappointed that we weren't able to book chairs for the entire week in the Sanctuary, but I am glad we didn't with that amount of wind! For the port day we were at Princess Cays, we were able to book chairs in the front center of the Sanctuary, under the windscreen and that was just perfect. I am unsure if that area gets windy during days at sea.

Sanctuary.jpg.65a5f7a50427d2b5c4811d1cfcc2d78f.jpg

Hmm. I was very keen on booking a Retreat cabana for a week on the Western Caribbean. Looks very windy from the photos on sea days. Does anyone have experience where it was more calm and pleasant? Was hoping to hear at least some positive experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk