Sea salt and water desalination

miched

The water on board the ship is desalinized. Sea salt is also marketed as being better than salt that is mined from the ground. What does the ship do with the salt? Is it used for seasoning the food that is served on board? If it is suposed to be so much better why not? :confused: Or do they sell it as a source of revenue to the gullible public or is it used to rim the glasses on the some of the drinks they serve?

.:D

The water on board the ship is desalinized. Sea salt is also marketed as being better than salt that is mined from the ground. What does the ship do with the salt? Is it used for seasoning the food that is served on board? If it is suposed to be so much better why not? :confused: Or do they sell it as a source of revenue to the gullible public or is it used to rim the glasses on the some of the drinks they serve?

.:D

Great question! I suspect that do not use it on board for health and safetu reasons [i was once told that they could not use herbs if they grew them on deck for those reasons] but I hope that someone knows the answer.

Sue

Celebrity uses the salt from their desalinized water for cooking and it is also in the salt grinders on the dining room tables. You can see that it is a different texture from the salt we would normally buy in a food store.

Exactly. It would take a lot of time, energy, and equipment to make a table or cooking salt from the remains of desalination water. Brine is returned to the sea.

I takes quite a few hours at the low end of simmer to produce sea salt. Quite impractical for the salt needs for over 5k meals a day.

Celebrity uses the salt from their desalinized water for cooking and it is also in the salt grinders on the dining room tables. You can see that it is a different texture from the salt we would normally buy in a food store.

And you thought this was funny? Or do you make up everything you tell people? :rolleyes:

What a bunch of BS, using the salt in the dining room.

Of course the salt is used on the decks in the cool caribbean evenings to keep the ice away.

That reminds me that I haven't shoveled snow in the last ~35 years since moving from Shaker Heights to Texas. Go Tribe!

On a more serious note, does any one know how much salt stays in the water?

An interesting question, while both distillation and reverse osmosis systems produce water free of impurities, the taste may seem a bit flat to some palates. According to a wikipedia article on reverse osmosis, Dasani adds trace amounts of salt and perhaps other minerals to improve the taste.

One might ask the engineering staff on board if any additives are in the water, other than chlorine. The sometimes offer seminars on the ship operation, particularly on longer cruises.

An interesting question, while both distillation and reverse osmosis systems produce water free of impurities, the taste may seem a bit flat to some palates. According to a wikipedia article on reverse osmosis, Dasani adds trace amounts of salt and perhaps other minerals to improve the taste.

One might ask the engineering staff on board if any additives are in the water, other than chlorine. The sometimes offer seminars on the ship operation, particularly on longer cruises.

Thanks, My husband got sick on the Summit with Congestive Heart Failure on the Sept 21st cruise. Dr and crew were fantastic. He had a heart condition but was cleared by the cardiologist before we went. My daughter thought maybe there was enough salt in the water that could have caused the heart failure. There was no sign of swelling in his body before and he didn't get the Noro Virus that lots of other people got.

What a bunch of BS, using the salt in the dining room.

Of course the salt is used on the decks in the cool caribbean evenings to keep the ice away.

Hmm.... I would take this with a grain of salt.... :D (sorry, couldn't resist).

This is copied from page 30 from the latest published RCI Stewardship Report:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/49a26be2#/49a26be2/14

Water.jpg

Not mentioned here is that certain minerals are added to the processed water to give it a better taste.

Thanks for the link. Will have to read the whole document as it looks very interesting.

I was watchng one of those cruise programs on Destination America, and the showed the Engineering staff opening a filter, and peeling large chunks of salt off I believe that they said that this is one of the few things returned to the sea

Thanks, We have been trying to watch the condiments at home and tried on the ship. No fried foods, so no ketchup. I also watched how much bread if any he ate. Also stayed away from most diary products.

Just glad there was a wonderful doctor and his staff on the ship. I sent a note to Corporate Headquarters to let them know how pleased I was with the staff. It was sent attention to Michael Bayley. Just hope the information gets back to the ship

Archived