For gluten free cruisers...

Dee777

My dh and I will be cruising the Breeze in February. I sent an email to Carnival today to ask them my question but I was wondering if there was anyone out there with firsthand knowledge to this: Does Guy's Burgers offer anything gluten free? What about Fat Jimmy's C-side bbq? Thanks! Carnival sent an automated reply saying they will get back to me in 7 to 10 days. Only problem is, I sent another email a month ago and still no reply.

Dee

My husband has Celiac Disease & eats GF. He ate Guy's burgers on the Conquest without any problem. Just ask for no bun and no sauces. ;) He also liked their French fries (so many places cook their breaded items in the same grease as their fries and then he can't have them.)

Edited by lukydog

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, I know if I bring my own , I will be sure but with an Infant - packing space will be at a premium! AND last thing I want is to have soya sauce all over my clothes! :)

I know what you mean... unfortunately I think this cruise I'm going to risk leakage and carry on some GF soy sauce, and I'm bringing some GF burger buns and ice cream cones :) I'm sick and tired of doing without when I go on vacation!!!! I initially thought bringing my own food on a cruise was ridiculous but my husband convinced me to change my mind. I can now have my burger - WITH a bun! My ice cream WITH a cone! My rice WITH soy sauce hahaha sounds funny but I'm looking forward to it!

We just got off the glory. My 8yr old son has celiac. He loved loved loved the burgers at guys! And they have GF buns. He had a big fat juicy burger with cheese/ tomatoes/ ketchup on a GF bun- for 3 out of our 5 lunches :)

He had no reactions. He did NOT have the fries- bc I couldn't get a clear answer on them. So we just avoided.

Yes, I know if I bring my own , I will be sure but with an Infant - packing space will be at a premium! AND last thing I want is to have soya sauce all over my clothes! :)

There are companies online that sell both GF soy sauce and GF salad dressings in individual packets (like the Ketchup at McDonalds). I always take them, particularly for salads on the Lido.

My mom needs a GF diet. When we get onboard she goes to the dinning room to see the special menu for the night. She is able to order it ahead of time. From then on out at dinner a hostess comes over to take her order for the next night.

They do have GF bread in the dinning room and special desserts.

We just got off the glory. My 8yr old son has celiac. He loved loved loved the burgers at guys! And they have GF buns. He had a big fat juicy burger with cheese/ tomatoes/ ketchup on a GF bun- for 3 out of our 5 lunches :)

He had no reactions. He did NOT have the fries- bc I couldn't get a clear answer on them. So we just avoided.

Was it special ordered? I've not read anyone saying they had gluten free buns there.

My good friend has gluten issues, and eats a GF diet. She has sailed with me twice, and will be sailing again with me on my birthday cruise in December. She brings on her own GF breads.and has had sandwiches made for her on that bread. The staff does not mind. She has brought on her own snacks and condiments. Staff says that is okay. She orders special meals from the MDR the night before. The mature' d makes sure she has her GF meals. She has no problems when we cruise. She has it down to a science now.

For anyone who needs GF meals, speak to the matre'd AS SOON AS YOU EMBARK. The MDR staff will bend over backwards to accommodate you. Speaking to carnival before the cruise does not help...they assist you on board, and they seem to be well-equipped for servicing a variety of special dietary needs.

Sent from my iPad

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011--Lost My Cruise Virginity

Carnival Miracle December 2011--Christmas at Sea

Carnival Ecstacy December 2012--34th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Imagination March 2013--Last Minute Getaway

Carnival Valor July 2013--Friend's 40th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Freedom December 2013--35th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Ecstasy March 2014--Spring Break

Carnival ??? August 2013--TBA

I know what you mean... unfortunately I think this cruise I'm going to risk leakage and carry on some GF soy sauce, and I'm bringing some GF burger buns and ice cream cones :) I'm sick and tired of doing without when I go on vacation!!!! I initially thought bringing my own food on a cruise was ridiculous but my husband convinced me to change my mind. I can now have my burger - WITH a bun! My ice cream WITH a cone! My rice WITH soy sauce hahaha sounds funny but I'm looking forward to it!

Dee, You are a true gourmet! I love that you do this. I would do the same if I had a gluten intolerance. Congrats and thumbs up to you!:D

When my son had the guys burgers on the Glory- it was not a special order.

We just walked up to the burger joint and asked for a cheeseburger with a gluten free bun. It did take an additional 5 min. Or so- they toasted it seperataly from the other buns.

I only knew about the GF buns there, because our the matri'd (Anastasia) mentioned it to us.

The deli also has GF sandwich bread- my son had a turkey and cheese panini one afternoon for a snack. He loved all the GF items he had onboard, except the pizza. The pizza crust was mushy?! I'm thinking it wasn't cooked long enough- but we never tried it again. Too many other good options!

When my son had the guys burgers on the Glory- it was not a special order.

We just walked up to the burger joint and asked for a cheeseburger with a gluten free bun. It did take an additional 5 min. Or so- they toasted it seperataly from the other buns.

I only knew about the GF buns there, because our the matri'd (Anastasia) mentioned it to us.

The deli also has GF sandwich bread- my son had a turkey and cheese panini one afternoon for a snack. He loved all the GF items he had onboard, except the pizza. The pizza crust was mushy?! I'm thinking it wasn't cooked long enough- but we never tried it again. Too many other good options!

I don't think too many are aware of the buns there. Most posters keep saying get the burger with no bun, just toppings.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to start a thread to see if others knew of this option.

For an illness that affects 1 % of the population thee sure are a lot of gluten ee

Threads

As the stretchy protein found in wheat and other grains has become the latest dietary bogeyman, sales at companies like General Mills Inc., Kellogg Co. and Britain’s Warburtons Ltd. have come under pressure. Yet instead of fighting back against what many dietitians contend lacks scientific grounding, they’re boosting output of pricier gluten-free foods while leaving industry groups to defend their traditional products.

Less than 1 percent of Americans have the disorder that requires a gluten-free diet, yet almost one in three now eschews gluten, according to trend watchers NPD Group, influenced by bestselling anti-gluten books and celebrity endorsements. The U.S. market for gluten-free foods will climb from $4.2 billion in 2012 to $6.6 billion by 2017, according to researcher Packaged Facts, as bread bakers, craft-beer makers and eateries from Hooters to Michelin-starred Hakkasan embrace the trend.

Btw. It does nothing to lose weight too

For an illness that affects 1 % of the population thee sure are a lot of gluten ee

Threads

As the stretchy protein found in wheat and other grains has become the latest dietary bogeyman, sales at companies like General Mills Inc., Kellogg Co. and Britain’s Warburtons Ltd. have come under pressure. Yet instead of fighting back against what many dietitians contend lacks scientific grounding, they’re boosting output of pricier gluten-free foods while leaving industry groups to defend their traditional products.

Less than 1 percent of Americans have the disorder that requires a gluten-free diet, yet almost one in three now eschews gluten, according to trend watchers NPD Group, influenced by bestselling anti-gluten books and celebrity endorsements. The U.S. market for gluten-free foods will climb from $4.2 billion in 2012 to $6.6 billion by 2017, according to researcher Packaged Facts, as bread bakers, craft-beer makers and eateries from Hooters to Michelin-starred Hakkasan embrace the trend.

When you have confirmed Celiac disease, there is no other choice but to remove gluten from your diet. I am grateful there are as many gluten free options out there as there is. Gluten free eating is not a "trend" for me. It is a necessity.

I stand with the last poster. My husband has Celiac Disease and he wishes every day that he didn't have to be on a gluten free diet (which if he doesn't follow he has to run to the bathroom within 5 minutes of eating wheat & breaks out in itchy blisters). He would like nothing more than to eat a yummy pizza and delicious bread again. But it's not just bread, there is wheat is so many things that you don't realize til you have to give it up. For those people that aren't truly gluten intolerant and are just following a fad...crazy. We are truly grateful for Carnival & the food industry attention to gluten free items...at least we have some more food options out there instead of having to give up certain foods entirely. :)

Threads

Gluten free applies to more than people who are officially diagnosed Celiac. One of my DD's requires a gluten free diet due to her autistic tendencies. It has made a tremendous difference in her behaviors. I am so grateful for the cruise lines and restaurants that provide this option. It has gotten so much easier. I used to have to bake our own bread but now UTI's is a tasty option.

I have seen people that think it's for weight loss. Just last week in a bakery some "trophy wives" were asking me about the cupcakes when I ordered for my daughter. They thought it was for weight. I quickly told them it was not and that I had specifically come early to the bakery because the gf sells out quickly and there are people that that's their only option. I was getting regular cupcakes for the rest of the family so those that needed it could have some available later in the day. (Bakery only does it 1 day a week).

The wonderful way that Carnival treats my DD and her diet makes me want to cruise even more. RCCL was just as accommodating too.

I see it as no different from people with an allergy (I'm personally highly allergic to mushrooms) or someone who requires low salt or sugar free diet.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Threads

Well I can understand your perspective especially after I saw a news report last week with doctors suggesting most gluten allergies are not real. Can't say one way or another but all I know is in my office alone, 4 coworkers are supposedly allergic to gluten. Ok.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Threads

As parents of an 8 year old that 6 months ago was diagnosed with Celiac disease, we are extremely grateful that cruise lines like Carnival go out of their way to provide so many options. One of the symptoms our daughter suffers from is Dermatitis Herpetiformis (look it up) which is a horrible rash kind of like eczema x10. It's itchy, blistery and scarring so to have that gone on a GF diet is such a relief for her not to suffer through that. It took 2 years before she was correctly diagnosed so it was a very difficult time for her. The smallest amount of cross contamination causes the rash to come back for her so she is one of the more sensitive sufferers.

While a GF diet may be the latest "fad" now too, Celiac disease is most certainly not a fad and it's partly because there have been so many hybridized grains introduced into our diet over the last several years that our bodies can't determine if they're good or bad for us. Until you have to go with a GF diet you have no idea how difficult it is to find products that are GF. It's in everything!

It has been a huge adjustment to our family's eating habits so the more options the cruise lines have for Celiac sufferers the more we can look forward to our vacation and not have to worry that there will be food options for our daughter.

I encourage those that don't know what Celiac disease is to look it up. It's not an allergy, it's an auto immune disease. Big difference with big health implications!! Especially in a child with so much development ahead of them.

Edited by L&J