For gluten free cruisers...

Dee777

Ok I have to share our thoughts on eating GF on our cruise last week. We were on the Splendor out of NYC. The staff in the main dining rooms were exceptionally accommodating and allowed my husband to pre-order his meals the night before. Even when he almost ate something with gluten, the waiter quickly stopped him. With that said - most main dishes were able to be prepared GF without issues. The bread was, well, disgusting. It was great that they had a GF bread at all, but there are much better options for Carnival. The same goes for the GF pancakes - so stick with real eggs and such. We were also able to get non dairy creamer thru room service but by the second to last day, they were out. They had 2 cider choices and a great GF beer. Hubby was overall very satisfied but said that he would bring his own bread on board in the future.

No longer a "virgin" cruiser!!

First time cruiser!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ok I have to share our thoughts on eating GF on our cruise last week. We were on the Splendor out of NYC. The staff in the main dining rooms were exceptionally accommodating and allowed my husband to pre-order his meals the night before. Even when he almost ate something with gluten, the waiter quickly stopped him. With that said - most main dishes were able to be prepared GF without issues. The bread was, well, disgusting. It was great that they had a GF bread at all, but there are much better options for Carnival. The same goes for the GF pancakes - so stick with real eggs and such. We were also able to get non dairy creamer thru room service but by the second to last day, they were out. They had 2 cider choices and a great GF beer. Hubby was overall very satisfied but said that he would bring his own bread on board in the future.

First time cruiser!

Thanks for sharing Lingalizzi

Quick question about your GF experience on the Splendor.

How did you let them know about your husband's GF issue?

Did you email them in advance or just chat with them on the first night?

We will have a GF person in our party sailing on the Splendor in January.

Thanks!

When we did the Chef's Table, the chef told us about how much they work on getting special diets to all who need them. They have a staff dedicated to just fixing the special foods for people who have certain dietary needs. It was very impressive and obviously very important to the crew since it is very important to the passengers with these special food needs. I would say you all can have a great time and have safe food choices. :D

First time cruiser!

I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your first cruise!

I have a quick question regarding the gluten-free beer. Did you have to pre-order before sailing, or was it available at certain bars throughout the ship? Also, do you happen to know which beer it was? Possibly Redbridge?

Thanks for your response! :)

How did you let them know about your husband's GF issue?

Did you email them in advance or just chat with them on the first night?

We will have a GF person in our party sailing on the Splendor in January.

Thanks!

According to http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx no advance notice is needed, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Definitely have them talk with someone higher up in the service food chain when they first get onboard.

If this is their first cruise (or first while GF) have them flip through http://cruisespecialdiet.com for general advice about the process, and various gotchas.

• 4 weeks later...

Gluten Free Beer was Estrella something. They had that regularly available along with the cider. Keep in mind the servers don't always understand which is GF and which isn't so please look at the menus and order by name. No need to order in advance.

Also - when you get on board, go to the main dining room where you are supposed to have dinner and that's when you tell them you are GF. They will mark it on your room info and have you place your dinner order the day before so they prepare in advance. When you sit for dinner, everyone will still have to order but your order is all set. Feel free to order more than one item - it's ok and they don't even blink when you do.

Hope this helps!! Sorry for the delay - holidays got in the way and we haven't booked our next cruise so I'm not on CC as often!

Novice cruiser - can't wait for the next one!!

All I can say is that Carnival needs to talk to Princess. The gluten free bread on Princess was fantastic! We usually refuse the GF bread on Carnival and RCCL, but we ate every piece in the bread basket on Princess. They said it was baked onboard, but to me it seemed to be like Udi's.

All I can say is that Carnival needs to talk to Princess. The gluten free bread on Princess was fantastic! We usually refuse the GF bread on Carnival and RCCL, but we ate every piece in the bread basket on Princess. They said it was baked onboard, but to me it seemed to be like Udi's.

OMG. UDI's hamburger buns (regular) are the best bread I've had since going GF. I might actually take some with me on my next cruise :p

I have seen in a few places they now have GF hamburger rolls. I am so excited. I know it is not much but so nice to get a hamburger with a roll. I know everyone is saying Guys Burgers now have them Yeah! Cruising next month again on Breeze for second time.

We were also able to get non dairy creamer thru room service but by the second to last day, they were out.

Is the non-dairy thing a separate issue for your husband? Just curious. My son has celiac but no problems with dairy.

Gluten Free Beer was Estrella something. They had that regularly available along with the cider. Keep in mind the servers don't always understand which is GF and which isn't so please look at the menus and order by name. No need to order in advance.

Also - when you get on board, go to the main dining room where you are supposed to have dinner and that's when you tell them you are GF. They will mark it on your room info and have you place your dinner order the day before so they prepare in advance. When you sit for dinner, everyone will still have to order but your order is all set. Feel free to order more than one item - it's ok and they don't even blink when you do.

Hope this helps!! Sorry for the delay - holidays got in the way and we haven't booked our next cruise so I'm not on CC as often!

No worries! Thank you for the response! :)

Is the non-dairy thing a separate issue for your husband? Just curious. My son has celiac but no problems with dairy.

MY DH and DS and I all have the dairy issue along with the gluten issue. About 50% of celiacs have a problem with dairy. The protein casein in dairy is very similar to gluten and our bodies go after it as if we ate gluten. I cross react to dairy, coffee, chocolate and corn.

I asked for non dairy creamer when we ordered room service and we got it. By the last couple of days of the trip they had run out.

The "sorbet" on board is actually sherbet so that does have dairy - they apparently didn't know that and mistakenly gave it to a passenger who spent 3 days in bed afterwards.

Know your foods - they don't always know!!

My husband doesn't have celiac, but he is gluten and lactose intolerant. Funny thing is my fave ice cream doesn't seem to bother him.

I am Celiac and was very happy with Carnival on how they handled it on our Breeze, Mediterranean, and Glory, Carribean cruises. They went out of their way to make sure I had gluten free bread. Very nice gesture but the bread wasn't very good. However, each night they took my order for the next night and either it was already gluten free or arranged for things to be made gluten free. I had chocolate melting cake each night and it was comparable to the regular.

This is a complete contrast to Celebrity. Last December we sailed on Millennium to Asia and they did a terrible job of handling any gluten free requests. The best they could do was tell me to "look at the menu". At least they do label GF on the MDR menus. In the buffet they have no idea and would not even ask if I inquired about a dish.

I also have to make a comment on those who are GF by choice. Good for you but don't make a big stink about Gluten Free to your waitstaff and then order the Red Velvet cake, or other gluten food, for dessert. I have seen this many times and it really causes problems for those with Celiac. Waitstaff and cooks become jaded by this and do not take it seriously when someone with Celiac orders and asks questions. I've had a few eye rolls when I have asked about gluten. If you are going gluten free then go gluten free and if you are going to cheat then don't make a big deal about being GF and then cheat.

True Celiac is about a 1% of the population disease but there are many that have a gluten intolerance to some degree and others that believe our wheat supply is no longer good for them. If you want to be gluten free then do it. If you just want to look like you're going gluten free then "get off my side". You're not helping yourself or those who truly have an issue.

Take care,

Mike

I don't have Celiac disease but I do have a gluten intolerance. I get migraines, muscle aches, skin rashes, brain fog and joint pains. For many years I kept telling my Dr. that I felt like I was in a fog and that it really didn't matter how much time I slept I was always so tired. I decided on my own to go off wheat and it made a big difference. If I eat wheat I take the chance of having a migraine as well as all the other symptoms. This is not a fad for me as I have been doing this for 14 yrs.

tigercat

Thanks for the info on dairy intolerance with celiac. My son is fairly non-reactive, so it's hard to judge when he's been "glutened" and what is normal for him... he has been GF for about 1.5 years and we don't notice much difference in his general health, but he was never really a sickly or underweight kid. He always had exzema and rashes, which he is not getting as often anymore, so that's a plus.