Recommendations wanted on best menu items in Blu

cruiserchuck

We are sailing on the Equinox this month, and want recommendations on the best menu items in Blu and the specialty restaurants. Please let us know what your favorite items are. Also, if there are any must try items in the MDR, please let us know.

BLU cheese soufflé

Goat cheese tart (or goat cheese something appetizer)

Soft shelled crab app (though this time it was overly battered)

Short ribs w/ horseradish mashed potatoes

Pomegranate duck breast

IMHO, I'd suggest avoiding the pasta if possible as I (and those I've traveled with on 2 occasions on different ships) have consistently found it gummy and chewy and not al dente. Like Kobe stuffed shells, gnocchi, lobster ravioli. Then again I guess some people like that consistency to their pasta. Food likes and dislikes being awfully subjective.

We are sailing on the Equinox this month, and want recommendations on the best menu items in Blu and the specialty restaurants. Please let us know what your favorite items are. Also, if there are any must try items in the MDR, please let us know.

What things do you enjoy? What don't you like? We may recommend things that you wouldn't even consider.

For breakfast in Blu, the new French toast is real good.

For dinner in Blu, the Maine lobster salad is surprisingly tasty. Any of the cold fruit soups are worth considering. They do an excellent job preparing salmon in various ways in Blu. Filet mignon is also nicely prepared.

We also pass on the pasta dishes.

My DH thought the meatloaf ( yes, I know!) was great. He even asked for it the next evening and they brought it out for him. He knew it was a left over but said it was just as good the second night. I usually asked for fresh fruit for desserts and it was readily available. The soups were all very good.

We will be in Aqua on the Summit in 2 weeks, and quite honestly the items mentioned so far doesn't appeal to me. Unfortunately, I don't eat meatloaf, duck or salmon. (or lamb) Generally, I like the main dining room so I guess I could always ask to be moved. Would that be possible? I'm really looking forward to Blu so I hope it's as good as I've heard.

We will be in Aqua on the Summit in 2 weeks, and quite honestly the items mentioned so far doesn't appeal to me. Unfortunately, I don't eat meatloaf, duck or salmon. (or lamb) Generally, I like the main dining room so I guess I could always ask to be moved. Would that be possible? I'm really looking forward to Blu so I hope it's as good as I've heard.

What DO you like to eat?

Here's the problem with threads like this: Someone unknown to posters asks a question that involves personal preferences based on taste which is individual and subjective. The people who respond are unknown to the OP and may be reliable or unreliable judges of food. People read the comments and take them as guides to what they should or should not order. One needs to try what they believe they would like for themselves and then judge. If they don't like what's served they can always substitute for something else.

Here's the problem with threads like this: Someone unknown to posters asks a question that involves personal preferences based on taste which is individual and subjective. The people who respond are unknown to the OP and may be reliable or unreliable judges of food. People read the comments and take them as guides to what they should or should not order. One needs to try what they believe they would like for themselves and then judge. If they don't like what's served they can always substitute for something else.

That's why I asked what the poster did like. If one has limited likes, they may dislike even a Michelin 3 star restaurant.

Thanks for the responses. There are four in our group, and the other three are very adventurous in their eating (me not so much.) We have no allergy issues, and my wife especially likes to try new/unusual dishes. We did a similar post last year before we were on the Silhouette, and we tried and enjoyed many of the recommended items.

Two in our group, who have not eaten in Blu before, are thinking about going to the MDR on nights when special items such as lobster and crab are served. Does anyone know if you can order MDR items in Blu? I recall that you can order dessert items, but I am not sure about main courses.

Last week on the Millennium, I found the maitre'd/head waiter and wait staff to be very accommodating in general. But they would not let us order entrees from the MDR.

The other M-class practically share kitchen facilities (right next to each other) so I thought it might be possible; others in our sailing were also not permitted to order entrees off the MDR menu.

But you could order the anytime items off the MDR menu such as escargot, French Onion soup, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, chicken, salmon and steak. Also the every day desserts (apple pie, creme brûlée, cheesecake) were available.

I found the menu to be kind of duck/lamb/fish-centric, which mostly is OK for me, as I like them all if done right. I wondered about the meatloaf as it looked a lot like 2 small cans of cat food turned upside down on a bed of mashed potatoes. One of the least appetizing presentations I saw in BLU. Usually, even when I didn't like what was served, I thought they plated everything beautifully.

I've only eaten in the MDR on Celebrity on three cruises, (33 nights) my opinion, only, is that while the MDR entrees are edible, they are not really worth the calories involved, again, my opinion only. Some of the non main dishes are excellent, the Onion Soup, Ceasar Salad, the Shrimp Cocktail, the Escargot, are all wonderful, everything else we tried, not bad, but for us, we make a calculation, is this worth the calories?? For us in the MDR, not really.

Blu was the missing link of cruising for us. when we eat there, dinner is not just a math exercise.

Enjoyed especially in Blu: Lamb night, Game Birds (all of them) & my absolute favorite: Every cold soup they served, the cold soups are what I am most looking forward to next month! They will be going into my blog & photo album for sure!

For me, Aq is completely worth it for Blu :)

I've only eaten in the MDR on Celebrity on three cruises, (33 nights) my opinion, only, is that while the MDR entrees are edible, they are not really worth the calories involved, again, my opinion only. Some of the non main dishes are excellent, the Onion Soup, Ceasar Salad, the Shrimp Cocktail, the Escargot, are all wonderful, everything else we tried, not bad, but for us, we make a calculation, is this worth the calories?? For us in the MDR, not really.

Blu was the missing link of cruising for us. when we eat there, dinner is not just a math exercise.

Enjoyed especially in Blu: Lamb night, Game Birds (all of them) & my absolute favorite: Every cold soup they served, the cold soups are what I am most looking forward to next month! They will be going into my blog & photo album for sure!

We agree that Blu makes AQ worth the extra fare. We also enjoy the cold soups, which we never tried on Celebrity until we read here that many people enjoyed them. We also like the fact that in Blu, the hot soup garnishments are added at the table, so they are not soggy.

There literally was not a thing that we ate in Blu that we didn't like. I do not eat any meats (including seafood) other than chicken and beef, and there was always something I would eat...and it was ALWAYS delicious. Even if it sounded too simple or plain, it was delicious when it came out. There was one server who really got me, and even if he wasn't serving our table he would tell me which dessert to order, and he was spot on every time. One thing that I didn't love was the French onion soup (one of my all-time favorites), and that comes from the MDR (although I did love the creme brulee, my favorite dessert, which also comes from the main kitchen). The flavors and cooking styles were so good. Honestly, I don't think I can sail other than Aqua now...must have my Blu experience!!

For me the Onion soup and the Escargot were great. I love cold soups, but 2 I had in Blu tasted liked grass. As to the meat loaf, really bad. We are back in Aqua in May 2014. We will be check the menu in Blu each day to decide where to eat. Last cruise we ate once in Select Dining. Richard

Can we check the menu daily and choose MDR with select dining if Blu doesn't appeal to us on any given evening? Our dining time is not important and we are extremely flexible, as we are restaurateurs and have learned to eat late!!

We were just on the Solstice and there were only a few things that I thought were great in any dining venue. The one item I keep thinking about is the salad I had in the Tuscan Grill. It had lightly fried goat cheese balls in it, which were amazingly smooth and creamy, yet a crisp accent to the salad greens...very unusual and was highly recommended by the waiter. I was glad he did.

Pat :)

Archived