Cruise on Oceania's Riviera (or sister ship) in 2015

cpghome

Hello,

We are trying to decide which cruise we want: the Panama Canal or the Australia cruise. Both are about 18 days long. Can anyone shed some light on either cruise? We have sailed once on the Riviera and loved the ship and the crew (sailed in Europe)

Thanks!!

I'd like to shed light but I probably cannot. Not really ...

We have done both itineraries, but Auckland-Sydney was in 2005 and the Panama Canal cruise was in 2004 (Costa Rica to Miami). We're booked for a Panama Canal in 2015 (Lima to NYC) -- but the itineraries keep changing in terms of details.

We loved them both, so it's hard to recommend.

If you are averse to the Caribbean ports in general, then I would recommend something like the Lima-NY itinerary that includes the Canal and more interesting ports (at least to me!).

But Auckland-Sydney is a wonderful itinerary.

Mura

Welcome to CC.

Well - do you like apples or oranges?

Because that is what you are trying to decide and are asking us to help you with.

Two very different itineraries in different parts of the world with different length of flights, # of sea days vs # of port days, etc, etc, etc.

Only you can decide which part of the world you would like to visit first - they are both excellent itineraries :)

Do you have more specific questions and perhaps then we can help you better?

We did the Papeete to Sydney, which was really Papeete to Auckland and Auckland to Sydney cruise this past February on the Marina. It was fabulous and I would highly recommend it. I have done the canal transit on other cruise lines but I think I preferred the Auckland to Sydney cruise over the Panama Canal. Reasons being that it was not as humid and I felt there was more to see and experience on the Auckland to Sydney cruise. Also, the new lock I don't think is supposed to be finished for another couple of years so it may be worth waiting until the new lock is ready for operation.

It up to your personal wants and desires...

The Australia cruise will be more sea days but far more interesting ports and people.

The Canal, is ok but other than that it is a carribe cruise. with port port port stops. Plus The crime in central America is out of control now..

The suggestion of Lima to NY is an escape from all that... add another 17 days and depart from Tahiti to NY 33 days

Why not save a bit longer and do a trans-pacific Sydney to LA or the reverse?...

• 2 weeks later...

We did the canal on a R ship several years ago. The length of the trip was 16 days and there were a lot of sea days - seven if I recall. I am not a big fan of sea days and prefer more port days. The Canal transit was fascinating but I wasn't particularly impressed with the other ports but that is strictly our experience. We made the trip in January which is the dry season but it was still hot and humid. A plus for this trip is the fact that we embarked and disembarked in the US so the flights weren't overly expensive or long. The passenger mix was the oldest of all the O cruises we have taken. I can understand this since it was a 16 day voyage in January with lots of sea days and only one tender port. There were a lot of passengers repeating this itinerary since it gets folks out of the cold north - lots of happy friendly Canadians on board.

We will be doing the Sydney Auckland trip in 2015. As another poster mentioned - get the long miserable flight out of the way while we still can. This trip is on the Marina which is a larger vessel. We prefer the R ships but go with the itinerary.

Either way - enjoy.

Both are good itineraries but if I had to choose one it would be Australia, no question. If you do decide on that be sure and allow yourself some time on either end to explore on land. This is a magnificent part of the world.

Archived