Chops Grille- disappointed again!

Host Dan

I just disembarked Freedom of the Seas yesterday. We ate at Chops Grille and ordered the petite filet mignon. Looked great, temperature perfect, but could not cut through it! Sinewy and so very tough. Sent it back and the replacement was just as bad. I was onboard in July and had the same experience, but chalked it up as a fluke. Now I'm wondering if RCCL has replaced the product with an inferior cut. Too bad... :(

Host Dan

Was just recently on Allure and Navigator in march , ate at Chops on both ships and my filet was perfect, as was the rest of my meal and dessert....K.O.:)

I always order mine "Blue". Which should be cold center, lightly cooked outside.

even though I tell them just pull it out of the fridge, touch it to the grill and send it out.:rolleyes:

OMG, that sounds bad:eek: Why bother "cooking" it at all.......

We've had great filet's and steaks at Chops for years, no complaints so far.

Edited by bouhunter

On the Enchantment last month, we ate at Chops on the first night at 7:00. I got the Filet medium rare and my husband had the New York Strip medium well. Both were cooked perfectly - very tender with great flavor. Everything was delicious including the Mud Pie for dessert! Yum!

Awwww! I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I honestly think it varies from ship to ship. We had terrific dining experiences on both the Allure and the Radiance, but tried Chops on the Liberty and it just wasn't as good.

Tara

P.S. You know that saying, the third time is the charm?;)

We've experienced what many of you have. Unfortunately as some stated, this is a restaurant we would happily book a couple of times on our cruise, however, it just didn't make sense. The quality of the steak is proving to be sub par...If it isn't consistent in quality, it just isn't worth the experience.

On the Enchantment last month, we ate at Chops on the first night at 7:00. I got the Filet medium rare and my husband had the New York Strip medium well. Both were cooked perfectly - very tender with great flavor. Everything was delicious including the Mud Pie for dessert! Yum!
We're on EN in two weeks and have reservations at Chops for Nassau night. Good to hear your report. I usually order the Petit filet and also follow the waiter's recommendation. Might try the veal chop if s/he says it is good.

Last few times I dined at chops were wonderful experiences. I love the veal chop and the appetizer with the 3 different oysters is terrific too. Service has always been great as well. One time a table mate from my mdr seating joined me for dinner at Chops one evening. He was so please that he insisted on picking up the tab (well, I only eat apples and lettuce). It was most generous of him and totally unnecessary as I quite enjoy washing dishes. I don't think you can go wrong with Chops, especially if it's offered as a 2 for 1 deal. They even allow a single to return for a 2nd free meal when they offer this.

Sorry Kayleigh but you missed out we went to chops on the 21 sept on Indy I had a 10oz fillet mingion medium rare it was to die for the best steak I have ever had.

We have said we will try it next year however we enjoyed giovannis so much the first time it made sense to go to what we knew for our anniversary meal xx

I have to add my opinion to this discussion. Flamers please keep an open mind as I do have some working knowledge of the subject. As a beef eater of over 60 years, longtime beef farmer, food service worker, and concerned consumer I offer the following informed opinion for you to think about. Keep in mind, it is only my opinion, and we all know the old saw about "Opinions are like @#$%, everybody has one!", right?

The days of tasty succulent beef for the masses are gone never to return. Pork is following closely behind, as are most other meats. In the past five years I have found it more and more frustrating to first be able to find a steak I can afford, second once I have found it to be able to cook it tender enough to suit me (I prefer it mooing after just a quick sizzle on each side. I still have all my natural choppers) and third find a piece that tastes like it used to.

Well, the answer is simple and it may shock you. It is tied directly to the reason your fuel prices are going up and your mpg are going down; Corn! The best beef used to be fed mostly good old corn. Now a huge piece of our corn crop is being diverted to be used as a gasoline additive. Ask any qualified automobile mechanic and they will tell you that this can reduce your mpg by up to 25%. Don't believe it? Try it yourself if you can find some unadulterated gas. To replace the corn, the animals are increasingly being fed unhealthy mixtures containing everything but corn. If I elaborated some of you would be disgusted at what you have been paying premium prices for and eating. Some of you would undoubtedly turn Vegan.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. I can back up anything I say with years of research. Oh, you can still find good, tasty, tender beef, but it is grown on farms where they can afford to feed quality feed IE corn. The caveat is, dig way down deep in those pockets for wads of the crinkly green stuff. Think about what one poster said about paying $600 for 4 people. How many of us can do that?

Cruise well friends.

Bob

I just disembarked Freedom of the Seas yesterday. We ate at Chops Grille and ordered the petite filet mignon. Looked great, temperature perfect, but could not cut through it! Sinewy and so very tough. Sent it back and the replacement was just as bad. I was onboard in July and had the same experience, but chalked it up as a fluke. Now I'm wondering if RCCL has replaced the product with an inferior cut. Too bad... :(

Host Dan

Sorry, I cant say I had the same experience on the Freedom sailing 8 September.

We both had the 10 Oz variant and they were both cooked to perfection (mine medium rare, and dw's was medium well). My steak was one of the best and tenderest I've had. :)

I have to add my opinion to this discussion. Flamers please keep an open mind as I do have some working knowledge of the subject. As a beef eater of over 60 years, longtime beef farmer, food service worker, and concerned consumer I offer the following informed opinion for you to think about. Keep in mind, it is only my opinion, and we all know the old saw about "Opinions are like @#$%, everybody has one!", right?

Cruise well friends.

Bob

Bob

The first thing that jumps out to me on your post- the feed. Industrial beef is fed corn, but naturally, cows eat grass. So saying "good old corn" is only recent and industrial based. I would figure you know that.