Cell phones on 4 day coastal

vent1020

So, a few questions that I know you lovely people can surely answer.(Trying to butter up my audience) :D

So, on the 4 day coastal that goes to Catalina and then Ensenada. I have a few questions about cell phone usage. My understanding is that since Catalina is a U.S. island, that you can use cell phones there for the same charge as if you were on the Mainland. My questions is the 22 miles(give or take a mile or two) between Catalina and the mainland, can you use your cell phone without $$$EXPENSIVE$$$ charges? I also assume(even though it's right over the border) being in Ensenada costs extra to make calls to the U.S.? And while at sea between Catalina and Ensenada.

I also read somewhere about placing your phone in airplane mode and that will prevent charges. Is that correct? I have Verizon.

ANY info, so I don't end up with a $300 phone bill on my 4 day cruise would be awesome.

And, just FYI, our 3 and 8 year old are staying home with Grandma, so we want to be able to talk with them from time to time while on the cruise.

Your phone will attempt to connect to the closest cell tower it sees, which while at sea, is the expensive ship 'tower', at 2.49 per minute for most Verizon plans. Placing your phone in airplane mode will help prevent most charges, but it depends on what data you push over cell networks. You are guaranteed no charges if you simply turn your phone all the way off. if you do want to call from the ship, check with Verizon to see if you need to do anything to access international calling on your phone or plan as the ship is considered its own "foreign country" by most providers.

While in port at Catalina, the ship turns off their own cell tower signal and you may be able to connect to a land-based cell tower, which, as you surmised is a domestic call. You will need to be within a couple of miles of the cell tower to get good reception, but this should not be difficult in the port at Avalon. That is likely the best place to call home from. Do check the carrier listing on your phone to make sure it is a land-based tower and not the ship tower.

In Mexico, connecting to a land-based tower is more expensive, as it is not a domestic tower, it is international, and depends on your specific plan for international rates. Again, you need to check to see what you need to have international calling activated for your plan and phone.

Your phone will attempt to connect to the closest cell tower it sees, which while at sea, is the expensive ship 'tower', at 2.49 per minute for most Verizon plans. Placing your phone in airplane mode will help prevent most charges, but it depends on what data you push over cell networks. You are guaranteed no charges if you simply turn your phone all the way off. if you do want to call from the ship, check with Verizon to see if you need to do anything to access international calling on your phone or plan as the ship is considered its own "foreign country" by most providers.

While in port at Catalina, the ship turns off their own cell tower signal and you may be able to connect to a land-based cell tower, which, as you surmised is a domestic call. You will need to be within a couple of miles of the cell tower to get good reception, but this should not be difficult in the port at Avalon. That is likely the best place to call home from. Do check the carrier listing on your phone to make sure it is a land-based tower and not the ship tower.

In Mexico, connecting to a land-based tower is more expensive, as it is not a domestic tower, it is international, and depends on your specific plan for international rates. Again, you need to check to see what you need to have international calling activated for your plan and phone.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!! I think you answered all my questions. :)

You may want to hold off on calling from the ship while at sea (as discussed above). If "grandma" has Internet access, you can buy an Internet package and send emails to them with some tidbits about your cruise and she can give you some in return about your kids' days. May be less $.

Recently returned from the Cal Coastal 7 day. We have AT&T. In all US ports it worked as normal. When underway we were far enough offshore to get no service. As mentioned, the ships cell service was available but not used by us. Ensenada is a foreign country with all that implies for charges. We used our cell hot spot for internet access when on AT&T. :D

• 1 month later...
Recently returned from the Cal Coastal 7 day. We have AT&T. In all US ports it worked as normal. When underway we were far enough offshore to get no service. As mentioned, the ships cell service was available but not used by us. Ensenada is a foreign country with all that implies for charges. We used our cell hot spot for internet access when on AT&T. :D

Jim,

Did you have to have a special package with ATT to Connect? I have to have cell service while on board, I just dont want to whole world calling me at 2.49 per min. ATT seems to be pretty confused as to what I need to make a phone call. Any ideas?

Jim,

Did you have to have a special package with ATT to Connect? I have to have cell service while on board, I just dont want to whole world calling me at 2.49 per min. ATT seems to be pretty confused as to what I need to make a phone call. Any ideas?

With ATT, you will need to turn on roaming on your account. You can do it online or by calling them. If you have a smart phone, you would want to turn off data to avoid the high roaming data rate if not needed.

With a European cruise in front of me, I jumped all over T-mobile's new International Plan. If you have certain US plans, you get free international data and free calls back to the States (twenty cents a minute in-country). It was wonderful being able to use my phone in port and see where I was on Google maps. Also worked in a surprising amount of coastal waters in the Eastern Med and Black Sea. They have about 120 countries. Strongly recommend looking into it. The only catch is that it is not that fast internet. It was good enough, though.

Edited by Wehwalt

I have this too.

However, I did not connect to a hot spot in Ensenada, and sending pix and txt cost me $200. :eek:

Pat