Kenai Fjords 5 hr vs 6 hr tour

mollanjake

This answer is probably on here already, but can't seem to find it.

We will be in Seward for a few days prior to out 7/4/14 cruise. Am traveling with my DH and DD 9yo.

From reading this forum I know the longer the better for overall viewing, but I think 7.5 hours is just too long for us. Our priority will be wildlife: whales, puffins etc. We will do whale watching in either Juneau or ISP.

Major Marine lists their 5 hr tour as calm protected water and great for kids. From the map I am guessing this stay is the bay, so no glaciers... Any specific type of wildlife we definitely won't see if we do the 5hr? What else will we miss doing this compared to a 6 hr? I know there are now guarantees with wildlife

Thanks for any help!

We will be in Seward for a few days prior to out 7/4/14 cruise. Am traveling with my DH and DD 9yo.

From reading this forum I know the longer the better for overall viewing, but I think 7.5 hours is just too long for us. Our priority will be wildlife: whales, puffins etc. We will do whale watching in either Juneau or ISP.

Major Marine lists their 5 hr tour as calm protected water and great for kids. From the map I am guessing this stay is the bay, so no glaciers... Any specific type of wildlife we definitely won't see if we do the 5hr? What else will we miss doing this compared to a 6 hr? I know there are now guarantees with wildlife

Thanks for any help!

This is essentially a bay tour, and will have less wildlife viewing compared to getting out to Holgate or Northwestern Fjords. Correct no glacier sailing, which is a negative, if you aren't doing any other tour boats with glaciers.

The Kenai Fjords boat tours of at least 6 hours on the water are varied wildlife jackpots, you need to get the distance for the most chances. They bay rarely is where the wildlife congregates. I've taken plenty of these trips where no wildlife was seen in the bay, or when it was, it was 1 sea otter. :)

This is essentially a bay tour, and will have less wildlife viewing compared to getting out to Holgate or Northwestern Fjords. Correct no glacier sailing, which is a negative, if you aren't doing any other tour boats with glaciers.

The Kenai Fjords boat tours of at least 6 hours on the water are varied wildlife jackpots, you need to get the distance for the most chances. They bay rarely is where the wildlife congregates. I've taken plenty of these trips where no wildlife was seen in the bay, or when it was, it was 1 sea otter. :)

Thanks Budget Queen.

I just wanted to add that we have done two Kenai Fjord trips on Major Marine, and both times they had a national park ranger on board who conducted excellent programs for the kiddos. On both trips the respective ranger was able to engage the younger crowd and both times the kids ranged in age from pre-school to middle-school.

I just wanted to add that we have done two Kenai Fjord trips on Major Marine, and both times they had a national park ranger on board who conducted excellent programs for the kiddos. On both trips the respective ranger was able to engage the younger crowd and both times the kids ranged in age from pre-school to middle-school.

Good to know, my DD will love this. She always has to stay right with the ranger and asks tons of questions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I have a different experience than Budget Queen, having taken both a bay tour and multiple Kenai Fjords tours. It is not clear whether Budget Queen has ever taken a bay tour, and if not, she really can't speak to what is or is not seen on a bay tour.

With the 6-hour or longer tours, those boats don't stop in the bay unless they see something very unique. Their mission is to get you on the "route" they must be on, getting to the glacier and stopping en route in both directions for wildlife viewing at various places. If they spent too much time in the bay, they wouldn't have time to get to the glacier!

On the bay tours, there actually is plenty of wildlife in the bay. Bird rookeries, eagles, sea lions, otters, even on occasion whales in the bay. The bay tours usually hug the coast in one direction to get a better view of some of the birds and other wildlife. There is a sea lion haulout near the coast in the bay too. The longer tour never sees it since they stop at a different one outside the bay. It doesn't mean wildlife is not present in the bay!

Sure, the longer tour gets more chances to see more wildlife, and the longer tour will give you a chance to see puffins that you won't see in the bay. But you will see a good amount of wildlife. There is plenty of wildlife in the bay, but those on the longer trips won't see it due to the nature of the two different tours.

Generally I always take the longer 6 hour tours. But for those who are extremely prone to seasickness (in that case even the cruise ship could be a problem), maybe the bay tour works better.

I have a different experience than Budget Queen, having taken both a bay tour and multiple Kenai Fjords tours. It is not clear whether Budget Queen has ever taken a bay tour, and if not, she really can't speak to what is or is not seen on a bay tour.

With the 6-hour or longer tours, those boats don't stop in the bay unless they see something very unique. Their mission is to get you on the "route" they must be on, getting to the glacier and stopping en route in both directions for wildlife viewing at various places. If they spent too much time in the bay, they wouldn't have time to get to the glacier!

On the bay tours, there actually is plenty of wildlife in the bay. Bird rookeries, eagles, sea lions, otters, even on occasion whales in the bay. The bay tours usually hug the coast in one direction to get a better view of some of the birds and other wildlife. There is a sea lion haulout near the coast in the bay too. The longer tour never sees it since they stop at a different one outside the bay. It doesn't mean wildlife is not present in the bay!

Sure, the longer tour gets more chances to see more wildlife, and the longer tour will give you a chance to see puffins that you won't see in the bay. But you will see a good amount of wildlife. There is plenty of wildlife in the bay, but those on the longer trips won't see it due to the nature of the two different tours.

Generally I always take the longer 6 hour tours. But for those who are extremely prone to seasickness (in that case even the cruise ship could be a problem), maybe the bay tour works better.

Your points are well taken. My wife works for a marine science program that Kenai Fjords tours runs for local schools and the area isn't exactly barren of wildlife. While the longer trip certainly enhances your chances for wildlife viewing, there is plenty to see on a bay tour. The areas of El Dorado narrows and Cape Resurrection at the mouth of Resurrection Bay are particularly rich with puffins and a multitude of other birds nesting in the cliffs plus there are several areas serving as outhauls for sea lions. True, you do not see close to any glaciers but the mouth of the bay is a prime area for humpback whales, orcas, and (early in the season) migrating gray whales.

Thanks for all of the great info!

I would really like to see the glaciers from the water, will only see Hubbard from our ship.

Wildlife is a big attraction for us as well, nothing beats seeing animal in the wild. Even a big smelly buffalo became wonderful when seen in a field or dangerously close to your car!

My big concern with the 6 hr is seasickness. Will have to talk with my DD pediatrician to see what she recommends at her well visit. If anyone out there has any creative non-drug remedies, I would love to hear them!

Thanks for all of the great info!

I would really like to see the glaciers from the water, will only see Hubbard from our ship.

Wildlife is a big attraction for us as well, nothing beats seeing animal in the wild. Even a big smelly buffalo became wonderful when seen in a field or dangerously close to your car!

My big concern with the 6 hr is seasickness. Will have to talk with my DD pediatrician to see what she recommends at her well visit. If anyone out there has any creative non-drug remedies, I would love to hear them!

If glaciers are a priority, consider one of the trips offered by Phillips Cruises or Major Marine out of Whittier vs. Seward. The focus of the Whittier trips is on glaciers and the waters of Prince William Sound are much calmer than those out of Seward. The respective websites are http://www.26glaciers.com or http://www.majormarine.com

I agree with Chenega to look at Whittier if glaciers are the priority. But still definitely check into seasickness precautions, since it can be a real problem on the 7-night cruise too, especially when transiting the open ocean.

If glaciers are a priority, consider one of the trips offered by Phillips Cruises or Major Marine out of Whittier vs. Seward. The focus of the Whittier trips is on glaciers and the waters of Prince William Sound are much calmer than those out of Seward. The respective websites are http://www.26glaciers.com or http://www.majormarine.com

Not sure I can handle added anymore options! I am a bit obsessive about vacation planning as is, but this trip almost too much. I think we will stick to Seward options. I'll leave Whittier for our next trip maybe we will cruise out of there

I agree with Chenega to look at Whittier if glaciers are the priority. But still definitely check into seasickness precautions, since it can be a real problem on the 7-night cruise too, especially when transiting the open ocean.

I am thinking she will be fine on the ship, no problems on our Caribbean Cruise last year. Although she was a bit weirded-out when she realized you can feel the ship move. For sure she will wear Seabands.

Thanks!

Yes, I have. I also have a personal friend who takes me out on "extra" trips, when I'm in Seward. I have never seen anywhere near the amount of wildlife on the bay tours compared to longer trips.

It sounds like either could be a good choice, doesn't it?

I am thinking she will be fine on the ship, no problems on our Caribbean Cruise last year. Although she was a bit weirded-out when she realized you can feel the ship move. For sure she will wear Seabands.

Thanks!

IF there is any history of "sickness", Kenai Fjords is a whole different story compared to any Caribbean cruise. You are grossly underestimating the potential. EVERY trip I have taken of Kenai Fjords, has had sick passengers, probably close to 25. My trip with my nephews in 2012, had a boatload of heaving passengers, who were stuck with this for most of the trip. (staff, making continuous "rounds" with gloves and big bags, "collecting" ) This is NOT unusual, but more extremely than usual.

Preparation is the key, and a message board not really the best place for advice. Consult your health care professional for the best advice. Even "over the counter meds" have side effects.

Yes, don't underestimate the seasickness factor on the Kenai Fjords trips. I'm prone to seasickness and this was my experience. I went on the longer cruise on a perfectly calm day but still turned green a couple of times ... there's a stretch where you cross open seas and it's pretty rough even on a good day. The rest of the trip was perfectly fine and so worth the discomfort. We saw whales, otters, seals, sealions, many and varied birds and lovely scenery, but the best part was sitting in front of the glacier listening to it creak and groan and finally calve.

I've also taken 2 bay trips. Not by choice, but because the longer trips were cancelled due to the rough weather. On one those short trips I turned green even in the Bay, the sea was that rough. On both short trips we saw mountain goats on the hills, a few bald eagles, and we passed an eagle's nest. For me the short trips were snoozers, but then again I live in the pacific nw so the scenery in the Bay wasn't anything special.

Since you have a few days in Seward, be sure to visit the SeaLife Park. Also, there's a paved waterfront path that runs from the harbor into town, maybe 1 1/2 miles long. It ends nr the SeaLife Center. We camped at the waterfront park and walked the path daily ... we watched otters play off shore and saw a couple of bald eagles. There was also a stream where salmon were coming in from the bay to spawn.

Are you driving from Seward to Anchorage? If so, be sure to stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center. It's a rehab center, with bears, moose, bison, caribou, musk ox, etc. Well worth stopping for. If you aren't driving, consider renting a car for the day in Seward and drive up there ... about 2 hrs each way. This could also be the time to include a stop at Exit Glacier since you have car. Have a great time!

Preparation is the key, and a message board not really the best place for advice. Consult your health care professional for the best advice. Even "over the counter meds" have side effects.

I can't agree more! I'm a pharmacist and I can't stress enough that all meds OTC included have side effects and don't get me started on herbals they aren't regulated at all.

I am interested to hear any non-drug tricks used for seasickness. Maybe you wear a seaband on your ankle!

Yes, don't underestimate the seasickness factor on the Kenai Fjords trips. I'm prone to seasickness and this was my experience. I went on the longer cruise on a perfectly calm day but still turned green a couple of times ... there's a stretch where you cross open seas and it's pretty rough even on a good day. The rest of the trip was perfectly fine and so worth the discomfort. We saw whales, otters, seals, sealions, many and varied birds and lovely scenery, but the best part was sitting in front of the glacier listening to it creak and groan and finally calve.

I've also taken 2 bay trips. Not by choice, but because the longer trips were cancelled due to the rough weather. On one those short trips I turned green even in the Bay, the sea was that rough. On both short trips we saw mountain goats on the hills, a few bald eagles, and we passed an eagle's nest. For me the short trips were snoozers, but then again I live in the pacific nw so the scenery in the Bay wasn't anything special.

Since you have a few days in Seward, be sure to visit the SeaLife Park. Also, there's a paved waterfront path that runs from the harbor into town, maybe 1 1/2 miles long. It ends nr the SeaLife Center. We camped at the waterfront park and walked the path daily ... we watched otters play off shore and saw a couple of bald eagles. There was also a stream where salmon were coming in from the bay to spawn.

Are you driving from Seward to Anchorage? If so, be sure to stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center. It's a rehab center, with bears, moose, bison, caribou, musk ox, etc. Well worth stopping for. If you aren't driving, consider renting a car for the day in Seward and drive up there ... about 2 hrs each way. This could also be the time to include a stop at Exit Glacier since you have car. Have a great time!

Thanks!

We are planning a visit to SeaLife-hopefully do the Octopus Encounter, DD is too young for the others. I hadn't read about the paved path that sounds great.

We are going to take the train to Seward, but are renting a car while there. I would like to visit the conservation center just not sure we have the time. I was thinking we would go to a Exit Glacier on the day we arrive.

I am still working on our activities. I am hoping to have a plan together in the next week or so. I will post on here for advice.

Thanks for any help!

You did not ask but when you are in Seward, make sure that you take one of the backstage tours at the Sealife Center. I have done them twice - once just with my wife (Puffin encounter) where we went into the large flight area and got to feet the puffins and once with my 10 year old granddaughter (octopus encounter). Both were excellent and enjoyed by the participants although the granddaughter did not want to touch the octopuses or let them grab her hand with their suckers.

Both were the ultimate hands on wildlife encounter.

There are age limitations on some of the encounters but I am not sure what they are.

DON

You did not ask but when you are in Seward, make sure that you take one of the backstage tours at the Sealife Center. I have done them twice - once just with my wife (Puffin encounter) where we went into the large flight area and got to feet the puffins and once with my 10 year old granddaughter (octopus encounter). Both were excellent and enjoyed by the participants although the granddaughter did not want to touch the octopuses or let them grab her hand with their suckers.

Both were the ultimate hands on wildlife encounter.

There are age limitations on some of the encounters but I am not sure what they are.

DON

Thanks! Wish my DD was older so we could do the puffin or mammal encounter.

Thanks! Wish my DD was older so we could do the puffin or mammal encounter.

You could do the octopus encounter. The minimum age on that is 6. Our granddaughter really enjoyed it in spite of the fact that she did not want to touch one of them or let one of them touch her.

DON

Archived