Santorini Ship to Town!

psblin99

You take the tender to shore, then have your choice of a donkey or a cable car to get you up the cliff to the town of Fira. There is really nothing where the tender docks. Or, you could book a ship's excursion where all the details are handled for you.

You take the tender to shore, then have your choice of a donkey or a cable car to get you up the cliff to the town of Fira. There is really nothing where the tender docks. Or, you could book a ship's excursion where all the details are handled for you.

Or you can take a boat from the tender dock at Fira to the harbor at Oia. Cheap and a great option to spend some time in Oia cheaply.

We have just come back from the Greek Islands and we used the speedboat from the port to Oia and then a bus from Oia to Fira, 15 euros each. The cable car is extra, 6 euros each. The problem was that when the bus drops you off in Fira it's quite a walk up a slope and over and then down to get to the shops. No problem for me but not good for DH. Watch out for the cable car sign when you are going down along the shops, we missed it and had to walk uphill again :(

Di

We have just come back from the Greek Islands and we used the speedboat from the port to Oia and then a bus from Oia to Fira, 15 euros each. The cable car is extra, 6 euros each. The problem was that when the bus drops you off in Fira it's quite a walk up a slope and over and then down to get to the shops. No problem for me but not good for DH. Watch out for the cable car sign when you are going down along the shops, we missed it and had to walk uphill again :(

Di

Hi and thank you for the info. Was there a shuttle that takes you from the port in Oia up to the town? Heard there is a number of steps to get up their. Also, does anyone know if a boat trip back from Oia to the tenders is available? Would rather just spend all our time in Oia and go back to the ship to avoid the cable car altogether. Thanks! :)

Dolfans from Miami

The best advise I can give anyone visiting Sanorini is to organise a private tour thro' your Roll call, I did this recently and we saw far more of the island than any of Celebrity Ship tours and we didn't even visit a Winery.

We used www.privatesantorinitours.com Our group was 16 people and the total cost was only 375 euro for a 5 hour Island Tour. (23 euro/pp)

The problems of getting ashore at Santorini are well documented so we arranged via the Tour operator to take a water taxi from the Old Port (Fira) to Athinios (New Port) there we met the tour bus. The cost of the water taxi was only 100 euro for our group of 16. We did the same on the return to avoid the potential queues at the Cable Car, it was a totally trouble-free trip and everyone said the best trip ever thanks to Leila (our Guide).

We were also lucky to get priority Tender Tickets for our group thanks to a few Celebrity Elite Members in our group - best of luck to those visiting Santorini, a beautiful Island - the best stop of our cruise without doubt

The best advise I can give anyone visiting Sanorini is to organise a private tour thro' your Roll call, I did this recently and we saw far more of the island than any of Celebrity Ship tours and we didn't even visit a Winery.

We used www.privatesantorinitours.com Our group was 16 people and the total cost was only 375 euro for a 5 hour Island Tour. (23 euro/pp)

The problems of getting ashore at Santorini are well documented so we arranged via the Tour operator to take a water taxi from the Old Port (Fira) to Athinios (New Port) there we met the tour bus. The cost of the water taxi was only 100 euro for our group of 16. We did the same on the return to avoid the potential queues at the Cable Car, it was a totally trouble-free trip and everyone said the best trip ever thanks to Leila (our Guide).

We were also lucky to get priority Tender Tickets for our group thanks to a few Celebrity Elite Members in our group - best of luck to those visiting Santorini, a beautiful Island - the best stop of our cruise without doubt

Hi Mickey

Thank you for the info. We as well are using the same tour company as you. I was not aware that they could set up a water taxi for our group of 24. We currently are planning to meet them at Fira and end up in Oia where we have hired a private charter boat to take us back to Old port. Maybe I should ask our tour company to make the same arrangements to avoid the cable car altogether. The only issue I see is that our group wants to visit Santos Winery so the driving back an forth to Oia maybe a little much. How was your tour set up? Did you get free time in Oia in the morning then toured other parts of the island? Greatly appreciate your help and information. Thanks again.

Dolfans from Miami

Hi Mickey

Thank you for the info. We as well are using the same tour company as you. I was not aware that they could set up a water taxi for our group of 24. We currently are planning to meet them at Fira and end up in Oia where we have hired a private charter boat to take us back to Old port. Maybe I should ask our tour company to make the same arrangements to avoid the cable car altogether. The only issue I see is that our group wants to visit Santos Winery so the driving back an forth to Oia maybe a little much. How was your tour set up? Did you get free time in Oia in the morning then toured other parts of the island? Greatly appreciate your help and information. Thanks again.

Dolfans from Miami

Santos Winery is located near Athinios, nowhere near Oia. You could visit on your arrival or on the return leg if still open.

Our time in Santorini was 1400 - 2200hrs. aboard the Reflection. We toured the Island and arrived in Oia about 5.30pm ready for the Sunset. We left Oia about 7.20pm and arrived back in Athinios at 7.50pm. The Boat took 15mins to the Ship's Tender at Fira Old port.

Santos Winery is located near Athinios, nowhere near Oia. You could visit on your arrival or on the return leg if still open.

Our time in Santorini was 1400 - 2200hrs. aboard the Reflection. We toured the Island and arrived in Oia about 5.30pm ready for the Sunset. We left Oia about 7.20pm and arrived back in Athinios at 7.50pm. The Boat took 15mins to the Ship's Tender at Fira Old port.

I think Santos Winery is close to Fira, correct? Isn't the Athinios Port down the hill from Oia?

Dolfans from Miami

I think Santos Winery is close to Fira, correct? Isn't the Athinios Port down the hill from Oia?

Dolfans from Miami

Definitely NOT correct.

Oia is the Extreme North of the Island, Fira is about mid-point 10 km. south of Oia and Osmos Athinios (New Port) is a further 10 km. south of Fira.

Santos Winery is located at the top of the hill from Athinios and is 20 km. from Oia.

Normally when the ship arrives at Santorini it will initially tender off Osmos Athinios (which is locally known as the New port, it was built in the 1990's) and off load its own tour passengers. The ship will then travel on further north within the Caldera and tender off Fira to off load all of its independent travellers, that is where the cable car and the zig-zag Donkey track is, and clearly visible from the ship.

Oia is the furthest point North of the Island, that is why it is the best point to view the world renowned Sunset. Check out Google Earth

Definitely NOT correct.

Oia is the Extreme North of the Island, Fira is about mid-point 10 km. south of Oia and Osmos Athinios (New Port) is a further 10 km. south of Fira.

Santos Winery is located at the top of the hill from Athinios and is 20 km. from Oia.

Normally when the ship arrives at Santorini it will initially tender off Osmos Athinios (which is locally known as the New port, it was built in the 1990's) and off load its own tour passengers. The ship will then travel on further north within the Caldera and tender off Fira to off load all of its independent travellers, that is where the cable car and the zig-zag Donkey track is, and clearly visible from the ship.

Oia is the furthest point North of the Island, that is why it is the best point to view the world renowned Sunset. Check out Google Earth

Oh yes, I am confused since our charter boat leaves from Ammoudi Bay below Oia. But if we start off as you did from Athinios and go to Oia first thing in the morning, I think that would work out better. We can do Santos Winery the last leg of the trip and avoid cable cars altogether. Thanks for all your help!

Dolfans from Miami

Hi Mickey

Dolfans from Miami

The lines at the cable car are not always so long. You can check (closer to the date) how many cruise ships will stop at the port that day and ask the company what they suggest.

Hi mickey, we will be in Santorini next June on the Equinox and I'm trying to put together a tour on our Roll Call with Private Santorini tours, I think they charge 75 euros/hour. It's a great idea to get them to arrange the water taxi, will ask about it. Which places did you visit, did you go to Akrotiri also? Would love to have as much info as possible, thanks in advance:)

I would check what time the Winery closes, Greeks don't like working all day !!!

Thanks again, mickey, for the info. I emailed John today to arrange the water taxi for our group of 24. We are doing a 6 hour land tour starting at 9:30 am. We are planning to visit Oia first thing in the morning. Can you please tell me what other sites you visited and if overall you enjoyed your tour? Greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks so much!

Dolfans from Miami

Our visit to Santorini was so short, we arrived off the Port of Fira about 1.45pm. Our group of 16 people arranged to meet at the Martini bar and left as a group, lucky enough to take the first tender. We were met at the Tender drop by Leila our Tour Guide, she took us to the waiting boat and off to Athinios we went, costing just 100 euro. There we met the waiting 19 seat Mercedes Sprinter bus, leaving Athinios about 3.00pm.

We visited Red Beach on the Akrotiri peninsula, nothing to shout about, the rocks face has collapsed making the use of the beach very dangerous. Then we travelled around the coast line passing the harbour (Vlichada) and onto Emporio where we walked the narrow streets and visited the Cathedral. Then we journey back to the Caldera at Fira, stopped a while then onto Imerovigli and finally Oia.

It was a rather hectic few hours as we all wanted to be in Oia to get a good spot to view the sunset. We were lucky the sunset was awesome, the best I have ever seen. Finally we travelled back to Athinios and were very glad we were avoiding the queue for the cable car as we all were getting very tired. At this time we were the only ship left but the queue for the cable car was still about an hour, don't believe people who say it depends on the number of ship. Our ship had 3000 passengers and it appeared that everyone was ashore at sunset. Fira and Oia was like a mad house. We were told that many people walked the donkey track to avoid the queues, not for us too dangerous in the dark with no lights.

If I visited again I would definitely do the same avoiding the antiquated Cable Car especially in that heat. As for the tour I would concentrate on the coastal towns along the Caldera edge and avoid inland, as it is a much about nothing. If you are into ruins then Akrotiri museum / site closes at 4pm.

Santorini is a fabulous exiting place with amazing views, no matter where you go or what you do you will enjoy and remember for a long, long time. ENJOY .

Our visit to Santorini was so short, we arrived off the Port of Fira about 1.45pm. Our group of 16 people arranged to meet at the Martini bar and left as a group, lucky enough to take the first tender. We were met at the Tender drop by Leila our Tour Guide, she took us to the waiting boat and off to Athinios we went, costing just 100 euro. There we met the waiting 19 seat Mercedes Sprinter bus, leaving Athinios about 3.00pm.

We visited Red Beach on the Akrotiri peninsula, nothing to shout about, the rocks face has collapsed making the use of the beach very dangerous. Then we travelled around the coast line passing the harbour (Vlichada) and onto Emporio where we walked the narrow streets and visited the Cathedral. Then we journey back to the Caldera at Fira, stopped a while then onto Imerovigli and finally Oia.

It was a rather hectic few hours as we all wanted to be in Oia to get a good spot to view the sunset. We were lucky the sunset was awesome, the best I have ever seen. Finally we travelled back to Athinios and were very glad we were avoiding the queue for the cable car as we all were getting very tired. At this time we were the only ship left but the queue for the cable car was still about an hour, don't believe people who say it depends on the number of ship. Our ship had 3000 passengers and it appeared that everyone was ashore at sunset. Fira and Oia was like a mad house. We were told that many people walked the donkey track to avoid the queues, not for us too dangerous in the dark with no lights.

If I visited again I would definitely do the same avoiding the antiquated Cable Car especially in that heat. As for the tour I would concentrate on the coastal towns along the Caldera edge and avoid inland, as it is a much about nothing. If you are into ruins then Akrotiri museum / site closes at 4pm.

Santorini is a fabulous exiting place with amazing views, no matter where you go or what you do you will enjoy and remember for a long, long time. ENJOY .

Thank you so much for all the info you have provided! I greatly appreciate it! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Archived