Passport for Caribbean Cruise?

Cookson

Hey guys and gals... my wife and I will be aboard the Carnival Freedom in February visiting Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Is a passport required for these ports? It's obviously a closed loop cruise out of Port Everglades. We've been on two Bahamas cruises that didn't require a passport, and just wanted to know if it's the same for the Caribbean.

Thanks... and yes we know that we need the marriage license too to document my wifes name change.

Hey guys and gals... my wife and I will be aboard the Carnival Freedom in February visiting Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Is a passport required for these ports? It's obviously a closed loop cruise out of Port Everglades. We've been on two Bahamas cruises that didn't require a passport, and just wanted to know if it's the same for the Caribbean.

Thanks... and yes we know that we need the marriage license too to document my wifes name change.

Not REQUIRED - but still a good idea! You can use an official birth certificate and a state issued photo ID because it is a closed loop cruise.

I never took or was ever asked for my marriage license.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As of today, you don't NEED a passport for a closed loop cruise. What it will be next month... who knows!! Just make sure it's a state issued birth certificate. Smooth sailing!

Do they change this rule monthly or something? What exactly do you mean by this... I don't want to be out of the loop if something is supposed to change. Are they reviewing these rules next month? Just curious.. lol

Oh and yeah... I've only read that it's a good idea to bring a document that documents the name change since the Birth Certificate and Photo I.D. have two different last names.

Here is a link to what Carnival says about it. A passport is not required but is highly recommended. If something should happen where you need to leave your cruise and fly home, you could be delayed getting home because a passport is required to fly home.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx?icid=HSiteSearchPassport

Have a great cruise!

Do they change this rule monthly or something? What exactly do you mean by this... I don't want to be out of the loop if something is supposed to change. Are they reviewing these rules next month? Just curious.. lol

Oh and yeah... I've only read that it's a good idea to bring a document that documents the name change since the Birth Certificate and Photo I.D. have two different last names.

No, but it seems like every couple of years there are rumors that the rules will change - there was a huge rush on passports not long ago because of rumors of a policy change. You never know when it will change - I'm amazed it hasn't yet.

Here is a link to what Carnival says about it. A passport is not required but is highly recommended. If something should happen where you need to leave your cruise and fly home, you could be delayed getting home because a passport is required to fly home.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx?icid=HSiteSearchPassport

Have a great cruise!

Bingo. I don't know why anyone would take this risk...if you're going to travel, get a passport! Is it really worth stressing over this? Vacations should be as stress free as possible :)

We did this cruise in August. My DS(19) and DD(16) sailed with their BC and DL with absolutely no issues.

This is the bi-weekly question on Cruise Critic. You will end up getting both "Yes" and "No" answers. Like cruise insurance, it is not mandatory. Like cruise insurance, you probably should have a Passport. If you have a normal, no accident, no sickness, no miss the ship cruise, then forget about the Pass Port. If any of this happens, however, it would be much better for you to have the Passport. Remember that once you get a Passport, you are covered for about 10 years. So get ready for a barrage of "Yes" and "No" answers. .................... Then go out and order the Passport.

Bingo. I don't know why anyone would take this risk...if you're going to travel, get a passport! Is it really worth stressing over this? Vacations should be as stress free as possible :)

Why do you assume the OP is stressing over it? We have sailed 10 times with BC and DL and never stressed over it once...Just because you need it for peace of mind doesn't mean everyone else does. The risk on a closed loop cruise is extremely small and the risk is different for every person depending on there extenuating circumstances.

I was willing to take that risk completely for the last 12 years. This year we purchased passports for DH and myself only...not the kids. DH and my risk changed because of the cruise we are leaving on Sunday. This will be our first time leaving 2 teens home alone. The risk of needing to get back to them pushed my risk level past the point where I needed them for my peace of mind. Our kids risk level did not change so we did not purchase them passports for August cruise....just like we didn't for the previous 9 for all of us. We have never stressed, nor have we ever come close to needing them.

I'm amazed it hasn't yet.

When the new passport rules were put into effect there was one goal- increase the national security in the wake of 9/11. DHS and the State department worked together on the regulations and considered many different factors. It was determined that the risk to the national security posed by a US citizen departing from a US port on a cruise ship, traveling within the Western Hemisphere and returning to the same US port is very low so they included the "closed loop exception" in the regulations. Until that assessment changes for some reason there is no reason for the regulations to change (and when they do there will be ample warning, it took what, three years to change everything the first time around?).

When the new passport rules were put into effect there was one goal- increase the national security in the wake of 9/11. DHS and the State department worked together on the regulations and considered many different factors. It was determined that the risk to the national security posed by a US citizen departing from a US port on a cruise ship, traveling within the Western Hemisphere and returning to the same US port is very low so they included the "closed loop exception" in the regulations. Until that assessment changes for some reason there is no reason for the regulations to change (and when they do there will be ample warning, it took what, three years to change everything the first time around?).

Exactly!! They are not going to change the rules over night.

OP...a state issued Birth Certificate (not one issued by a hospital) and a government photo id is all that is required to sail on a closed loop cruise.

As far as the marriage license goes, I take mine with me on every cruise. I have only been asked for it once. Glad I had it!! IMHO take a copy of the marriage license with you.

Why do you assume the OP is stressing over it? We have sailed 10 times with BC and DL and never stressed over it once...

I suppose I just tend to air on the side of caution. Having worked in a travel agency, and now working in operations for an airline, I've seen it all. We had plenty of clients who took risks and it wouldn't stress them one little bit, and that's great, we never looked to add any stress! But we'd had a lot of difficult situations come up when people didn't have passports, insurance etc. My worry would be if I missed the ship (very unlikely) or if I happened to get injured or needed medical assistance in a port (still unlikely but something you may have less control over).

Don't mean to stress anyone out, but it's just in my nature to air on the side of caution. Same as flying into a cruise the day before. I was on a Saturday morning flight with a bunch of same day cruisers the day before my cruise last year. We had the plane go mechanical just as we were closing the door to push back. 5 hour delay meant only a few people made their cruise. I wouldn't have wished that experience on my worst enemy!! Similar sort of risk, really. Hope no one has any issues though! If you're comfortable with it and can save some money, that's more money for another cruise :)

Archived