RCCL Visa Points experience

I currently have 125,000+ points that I know I can use for a 5-7 night Caribbean sailing (except on Oasis & Allure). Has anyone been able to used 125,000 points on an 8 night Caribbean cruise and then paid the difference for the 8th night since the points allow for only 7 nights? Both the Visa points desk & Crown & Anchor were unable to let me know if this might be an option until I actually book the cruise and try to apply the certificate.

Also, is it still correct that if you travel with 4 people in a cabin & use 125,000 points for the first 2 people on a 7 night cruise, that you pay the 3rd & 4th person rate for the other 2 people?

Thanks in advance for your help.

For the 8 nighter, it sounds like good advice to wait until you’d be ready to commit to a booking as it is an exception to the listed benefits. Others will respond indicating you can’t do this on a 8 nighter and they’ll likely be absolutely correct.

However, if you’d be ready to commit (or walk away) immediately to the 8 nighter, give it a go with your RC Vacation Planner and Visa Rewards all together on a three way call and see if you can reach an agreement acceptable to all. Doesn’t hurt to ask, and they’ll probably say no - but be ready to jump on it should you get a positive result as it’s unlikely if you wait to think about it you’ll get the same response if you call back later.

As for the 3rd & 4th person, I believe you’re correct that they’ll be at the 3 & 4 rate however, remember the 125,000 points only covers the lowest available oceanview category. Not every cabin can accommodate a 3rd or 4th person. If you have to move to a higher oceanview category to get a 4 person configuration, you’ll have to pay the difference between the lowest category and a higher category if necessary to meet your need.

Hope this helps –

John

I was told that you can not use a free 4 night cruise and take a 5 night one so I would not think you could take an 8 night one using the points for a 7 night cruise.

But then again, things change depending on who you talk to:p:rolleyes:

I currently have 125,000+ points that I know I can use for a 5-7 night Caribbean sailing (except on Oasis & Allure). Has anyone been able to used 125,000 points on an 8 night Caribbean cruise and then paid the difference for the 8th night since the points allow for only 7 nights? Both the Visa points desk & Crown & Anchor were unable to let me know if this might be an option until I actually book the cruise and try to apply the certificate.

Also, is it still correct that if you travel with 4 people in a cabin & use 125,000 points for the first 2 people on a 7 night cruise, that you pay the 3rd & 4th person rate for the other 2 people?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just put it on hold you will get a booking number then call the number given on the redemption site and ask to apply the points to the reservation. If they don't just cancel.

The 125,000 cruise for 2 is for a 7 night sailing in a minimum Ocean view cabin. If you book an 8 night cruise how will they know what amount to value your 125,000 points for? When you book it for a 7 night cruise they credit the value of the lowest available OV cabin (max value $2500)

Edited by molly361

Thanks to all of you Floridians for your input and advice.

I didn't even think about how they would determine the value to apply.

I hope we are correct about 3rd & 4th person prices.

I might try the booking on hold method and see if it works.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
The 125,000 cruise for 2 is for a 7 night sailing in a minimum Ocean view cabin. If you book an 8 night cruise how will they know what amount to value your 125,000 points for? When you book it for a 7 night cruise they credit the value of the lowest available OV cabin (max value $2500)

does anyone know what the category of the "lowest available OV cabin" is? On my cruise, it's I. I am trying to maximize my reward value, of course.

does anyone know what the category of the "lowest available OV cabin" is? On my cruise, it's I. I am trying to maximize my reward value, of course.

It is the lowest price OV category at the time you redeem your points. It could be any OV category.

I have always gotten the most bang for my buck by redeeming them as $$ off of the cruise rather than for a free cruise.

We've always had most bang for our buck by booking the free 4 night cruise, (2 times) or 7 night (1 time). We have never seen where the OBC has been more than the free cruise.

We don't have to fly to Fl so that might be a big bearing especially on the 4 nights.

Edited by ShipRiders

We've always had most bang for our buck by booking the free 4 night cruise, (2 times) or 7 night (1 time). We have never seen where the OBC has been more than the free cruise.

We don't have to fly to Fl so that might be a big bearing especially on the 4 nights.

I was not referring to OBC. I was talking about using the points to take $ off of the price.

I was not referring to OBC. I was talking about using the points to take $ off of the price.

Apologize. I knew what you were talking about. I just worded it wrong.

The best bang for the buck is taking the free cruise and not taking the $ off the price.

OBC or $ off a cruise you will ALWAYS only get 1% but a free cruise CAN equal up to 2% just have to pick the right cruise where the price of an ocean view is high. We then upgrade to a balcony and get more bang for our buck.

Not a Royal Visa card user anymore now that they took away my chance to use my 125k again on the Oasis/Allure. Gonna find a way to spend those points but in the meantime enjoying my Capital One Venture Card :D They don't keep me from using my 2% on the Oasis/Allure or any other ship in any cabin!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Using points for $ off a cruise only gets you 1%. If you use it for a fress cruise or upgrade you can get up to 2%.

We just cashed in 15,000 points for an upgrade which netted us $300 off our cruise fare (inside to OV but we are in a balcony). That is 2%. If we had used it for $ off that cruise we would only have gotten $150 off the cruise fare.

I have always found the best deal for us is to take the point value off from the cost of the cruise. So in your case, $1,250 off whatever cruise and cabin you choose.

Really?, after saving points for years, I'm not settling for $1250 when I could be getting $2500, or near that. We have a cruise upcoming in March with a discount of $2380.

I was wondering what if you took the points as a statement credit. Book the cruise like you normally would and take the statement credit for 50 percent off the cruise.

Then book a second 8 night cruise and take the statement credit for 50 percent off the cruise.

Keep doing this until you run out of points. Figure out the point value and dollar value. If a cruise were $1,000 a person and you paid $500 per person and used $500 in statement credits and then did the same for another cruise you could essentially get 2 cruises instead of using all of your points for one cruise.

You would still be earning points by paying the $500 and onboard purchases.