pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

The way i see it as a cruising newbie is.......

It's going to cost me $11.50aud for me and $11.50aud for my other half per day which in total for the both of us for our cruise $230aud which converts to approx 150 English pounds.

We are by no means wealthy people and have saved hard for over 14 months for our cruise and we are most definetely on a budget for our holiday as i suppose are many people. However i look at it as $230 very well spent as all these wonderful hard working crew are striving to make our cruise fantastic

I'm not knocking anyone who removes auto tips but personally we think its money well spent and are surprised that some people choose to remove them

Happy cruising

:)

I have done a lot of research into this subject and my conclusion is that the majority of Brits remove the auto-tip.

This is because they feel that the advertised price for a cruise is what they should pay. Many don't read the t&c or the small print, so when they get on board it is a real shock to find that the cruise doesn't include tips and will cost a lot more.

Many Europeans will only tip if they feel they have had good service, not because a company tells them to.

A group of elderly people, who were Princess Platinum, told me that the way they can afford an extra cruise is by removing the auto-tips and then tipping exceptional crew, a bit less in cash!

My wife and I leave the auto-tip on, rarely tipping extra and always receive the same good service.

I'd love to know how many people remove the auto-tip and the demographics involved, but I doubt I'll ever find out.

Not to steal the thread, but was it you who was traveling on the Sunshine earlier this year and had transportation issues in getting to the ship?

I have done a lot of research into this subject and my conclusion is that the majority of Brits remove the auto-tip.

This is because they feel that the advertised price for a cruise is what they should pay. Many don't read the t&c or the small print, so when they get on board it is a real shock to find that the cruise doesn't include tips and will cost a lot more.

Many Europeans will only tip if they feel they have had good service, not because a company tells them to.

A group of elderly people, who were Princess Platinum, told me that the way they can afford an extra cruise is by removing the auto-tips and then tipping exceptional crew, a bit less in cash!

My wife and I leave the auto-tip on, rarely tipping extra and always receive the same good service.

I'd love to know how many people remove the auto-tip and the demographics involved, but I doubt I'll ever find out.

Speaking as an englishman and not a brit (I hate that term) I always tip, the staff get paid poorly and deserve a living wage at least. Dont remove prepaid tips until you have actually received bad service and not the moment you embark.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Forums mobile app

The way i see it as a cruising newbie is.......

It's going to cost me $11.50aud for me and $11.50aud for my other half per day which in total for the both of us for our cruise $230aud which converts to approx 150 English pounds.

We are by no means wealthy people and have saved hard for over 14 months for our cruise and we are most definetely on a budget for our holiday as i suppose are many people. However i look at it as $230 very well spent as all these wonderful hard working crew are striving to make our cruise fantastic

I'm not knocking anyone who removes auto tips but personally we think its money well spent and are surprised that some people choose to remove them

Happy cruising

:)

It is simply part of the cost of the trip.

If you can afford to eat out, you can afford to tip.

Likewise, if you can afford to cruise, you can definitely afford to tip. You're supposed to factor this into the budget folks.

When you remove the auto-tip from your account, do you think your staff are unawares? They know. Treat all service industry folks correctly. In a perfect world, everyone would work at least 2 years in the service industry.

Likewise, if you can afford to cruise, you can definitely afford to tip. You're supposed to factor this into the budget folks.

When you remove the auto-tip from your account, do you think your staff are unawares? They know. Treat all service industry folks correctly. In a perfect world, everyone would work at least 2 years in the service industry.

well said

Sadly no, that's like saying I can afford the house payment, I can afford to live there. People will end up coming up short on tips or living the American dream, in debt. If you buy the house or book the cruise then you should budget for the additional expenses at booking . It's only true that you can afford the cruise, then you can afford the tax and fees because you can't book them separately. People are booking the cruise not being able to afford much more and the cruise line allows it and we believe it, like some did the house. We saw how well that worked out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Sadly no, that's like saying I can afford the house payment, I can afford to live there. People will end up coming up short on tips or living the American dream, in debt. If you buy the house or book the cruise then you should budget for the additional expenses at booking . It's only true that you can afford the cruise, then you can afford the tax and fees because you can't book them separately. People are booking the cruise not being able to afford much more and cruiseline allows it

I think the post you are quoting has it right. If they can't afford to cruise(and all that comes with it) then don't cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I think the post you are quoting has it right. If they can't afford to cruise(and all that comes with it) then don't cruise.

ISaying if you can afford the cruise A then you can afford the tip B may not be true. They are different expenses that need to be acknowledge and budget for. Where I am from has a mantra, because you have a pot to pee in does mean you have a window to throw it through :D

I agree be it cruise or other things, if you can't afford all that go with it, then don't. Really that's not the American way:D

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Edited by Blk_Amish

Some people don't like the idea of tips that are forced upon them? Anyways, congrats this will be a 20 page thread.

I remember chuckling out loud when I first read this and now.....how sad but true it has become :(

It scares me when we agree on things.....:eek:

Don't worry, tomorrow will be back to normal programming:D

I am going to plan and budget for my next cruise, since all the additional expenses won't just magically fall into place.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Don't worry, tomorrow will be back to normal programming:D

I am going to plan and budget for my next cruise, since all the additional expenses won't just magically fall into place.

Planning for a cruise is always a good thing!

I always pay the auto tip and leave extra for the room steward and mdr. But I always think I would like it better to tip the mdr and room service intirely in cash. Not on auto tip. I know this would not be possible for all of the services that the tips go to like kitchen and entertainment staff. So I was thinking I might adjust my tips. For those in mdr and room steward and just give them cash. I plan on tipping. More than suggested I just think cash is nicer. I would never stiff them I have work in the service industry and if someone stiffs you it actually cost you money. At outback steak house they charge you 3% of your sales to tip out the hostest and bartender's. So if a table spends 100 bucks and doesn't. Tip it cost you 3 bucks to wait on then. And tipping in the U.S. is SHOULD BE 15 to 20% that's all the leeway some one should take. Unless something insane happens. They work on the honor system so be honorable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

Planning for a cruise is always a good thing!

Plus budgeting for it:D. I call it my run away vacation. The true cost can runaway from you quite easily with tip, transportation, outfits, and possible hotel stay. So three planned, one for my 20th anniversary, plus Carnival for my birthday. The last and final cruise will be the Allure or Oasis. I would love to go without the kids but it would break their hearts so Allure times four plus tip!

Edited by Blk_Amish

And tipping in the U.S. is SHOULD BE 15 to 20% that's all the leeway some one should take. Unless something insane happens. They work on the honor system so be honorable.

What is something "insane"? Does this mean I can't tip 30% if I want even though the service is thoroughly adequate and nothing more? Does it mean I can't tip 0% if the service is lousy (according to whose definition? Yours or mine?). Why should 15 - 20% be all the leeway? That leads to complacency. People then expect tips just for breathing no matter how poor the service is.

I believe in auto-tips on cruises. I think they are fair and equitable. I think they should be left in place for adequate service. I believe in tipping people additional (at my discretion) for excellent or noteworthy service; I do not anticipate going around handing out extra money on top of auto tips just "because". Just like land based businesses too; not everyone is worthy of additional tips; some are, some aren't. I accept that on a cruise the daily service charge is charged to my account, yet I retain the option to remove it if I want to tip in a different manner, or feel service has been so poor as to not warrant the tip.

Edited by LMaxwell

You can certainly give more than you owe 30% .but tips in U.S are really just a wage you pay yourself on the honor system . you work and your boss can give you a bonus , but really there is a minimum expected salary. now if you suck they can fire you but they still must pay you for work done. so to me 15% tip says you got your food and drink at some point and you did not carry your own dishes back to the kitchen but they could have done better. a %20 tip says you are well satisfied with your service and felt nothing was lacking that the server had any control over now If your food sucks refuse to pay the restaurant not the sever . now %15 too %20 is a %25 difference in pay .

tipping under %15 only says to the server you are dishonest and unreasonable.not that they did a bad job but that you are a dishonest person and would steal from people if there was no consequence.

some people are lovers of money more than they are lovers of people and this is becomes evident in in situations like this

You can certainly give more than you owe 30% .but tips in U.S are really just a wage you pay yourself on the honor system . you work and your boss can give you a bonus , but really there is a minimum expected salary. now if you suck they can fire you but they still must pay you for work done. so to me 15% tip says you got your food and drink at some point and you did not carry your own dishes back to the kitchen but they could have done better. a %20 tip says you are well satisfied with your service and felt nothing was lacking that the server had any control over now If your food sucks refuse to pay the restaurant not the sever . now %15 too %20 is a %25 difference in pay .

tipping under %15 only says to the server you are dishonest and unreasonable.not that they did a bad job but that you are a dishonest person and would steal from people if there was no consequence.

some people are lovers of money more than they are lovers of people and this is becomes evident in in situations like this

What you decide in your own country is up to you, but you can't expect tourists to subsidize your economy.

I don't think I've ever tipped more than 15%.