do you prefer nassau or grand turk

scumbers

Grand Turk is a nice and relaxing stop. Grab a chair at the Margaritaville pool and take a stroll to Jack's Shack. We always have a great time hanging at the bar and talking with Jack. He built the cruise terminal and decided to retire and sthuiay.

We were in Grand Turk with another ship. They got there first. It was too crowded. It would be beautiful if only one ship were there at a time.

I had the exact same experience. Every chair was taken, no space at all and even Jack ran out of food. I wouldn't go back unless my ship got there first.

We have not been to Nassau in years, in Gr Turk last Nov on the Ruby. It is nothing more than a beach day, no history, a Carnival sponsored island. So so kinda day. At least in Nassau there are things to see and do.

You are so wrong. The Turks and Caicos islands have a full history, beginning with the first inhabitants, the Tainos Indians, who arrived in the Caribbean region sometime in the first millenium CE, through Columbus's landing (and harrassment of those same Tainos people) in 1492, up through today as a British Crown colony. A careful (or even cursory) perusal of basic facts about T&C would show you that there is no "Carnival" mentioned at all.

You are so wrong. The Turks and Caicos islands have a full history, beginning with the first inhabitants, the Tainos Indians, who arrived in the Caribbean region sometime in the first millenium CE, through Columbus's landing (and harrassment of those same Tainos people) in 1492, up through today as a British Crown colony. A careful (or even cursory) perusal of basic facts about T&C would show you that there is no "Carnival" mentioned at all.

And the museum in Cockburn Town is one of the best small museums in the whole caribbean - well worth a visit.

Carnival developed the cruise port and they've done a fairly good job of it. If you find the beach near the port crowded, just walk a little way away, there's plenty more beach.

I'd suggest spending a couple of hours in Cockburn Town (take a taxi) - wander around, see the museum, soak up some local flavour, look at the Bermudian style architecture (the island used to unofficially belong to Bermuda in it's salt-raking days), then taxi back to the port and enjoy the beach with a rum or two.

However, I would reinforce a previous poster's comments about your schedule - try and avoid itineraries that show port stops like 7am - 1pm, or 2pm - 7pm, these make for very awkward days, either feeling rushed to get back to the ship, or feeling that the day is half over before you begin.

Grand Turk! We purchased a day pass through our travel agency to one of the small resorts on the island. Took a taxi on our own to the resort. A beautiful, uncrowded and quiet stretch of beach with loungers and the most wonderful lunch (fried grouper, conch fritters, salads etc.) was included in the package. They did have snorkling/dive gear for rent but we had brought our own. We returned to the pier and the craziness of Margaritaville to do some shopping and happy that we had chosen the quiet beautiful resort to spend some time.

Grand Turk! We purchased a day pass through our travel agency to one of the small resorts on the island. Took a taxi on our own to the resort. A beautiful, uncrowded and quiet stretch of beach with loungers and the most wonderful lunch (fried grouper, conch fritters, salads etc.) was included in the package. They did have snorkling/dive gear for rent but we had brought our own. We returned to the pier and the craziness of Margaritaville to do some shopping and happy that we had chosen the quiet beautiful resort to spend some time.

That sounds like a different option & a good idea. We might try that the next time we go to GT. Do you remember the name of the resort or beach area by chance??

SaniBel*Gal: The resort is called Bohio Dive Resort, not sure of the beach. They have a website but couldn't find a day package listed but maybe if you contact them to see if you can arrange independently. My husband still talks about the great lunch after 6 months...he ate half of mine!!! Mary

I would avoid Nassau and opt for Grand Turks. The beach there is lovely. If you walk along the beach, left of the dock, you will come to a bar called Jack's Shack. A lot of the crew go there and it has a fun atmosphere.The beach in front of here is good for swimming and not as busy as by the dock. Jack is a real character. Whichever itinerary you choose, have a great cruise.

I just HAD to look for it! :D

Jack's Shack

I have not been to Nassau so this is about GT. I have been there several times on dive trips and the diving is great (wall diving). The island is approx 6 miles long and 1 mile wide so don't expect a lot. Anything you get there will probably be at the port. There is not a lot of history as it is mostly a manufactured cruise port. It is safe to walk around here.

Archived