After NZ - where to "extend trip"?

corpkid

16 days on Marina in feb 2015. Sydney to Auckland. We are planning on spending a few days in Sydney before, but were wondering where to go afterwards? We want to maximize this trip since it's such a long flight from Florida to and fro (and frankly, we don't much care for long haul flying (who does?) :)

We thought about Thailand, but that's another 12 hour flight. We are pretty new to that area so suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks fellow O friends!!!

Well, NZ is worth a month on its own.....such a beautiful country and terrific wines as well. Then there's Fiji or Cook Islands if you're an island kind of person....and French Polynesia too. What kind of activities do you like??

Well we are going to be cruising all around NZ for almost 1 week... We were hoping to try something different when that's finished. We love cities. Pubs, shopping, culture, that kind of stuff. Stockholm and Copenhagen were some of our last favs on the last O cruise.

The cruise itinerary is here (except our is that time in 2015 on Marina): https://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/australia/mna140223/default.aspx

Thanks again!

This is a tough one, but because your cruise is so very Australia-New Zealand-centric, I would suggest that you set up a few of those "fare alerts" with one or more of the airline consolidator sites for flights from Auckland to any major hub on the West Coast of South America.

machu-picchu-1.jpg

Logistically, I would suggest that you let the best fare and schedule choose your destination, but Santiago, La Paz, Lima or Quito are all fascinating, and although the air-FARES are going to be tough any way that you do it, coming home via South America gives you the option of touring significant sites such as Machu Picchu or doing "the Carnival thing", which is significantly different on the Pacific coast.

Diablada_oruro_fraternidad.jpgcanival-peru-argentina.jpg

Enjoy your cruise, getting there IS half the fun! :D

After doing Auckland to Sydney this past February, the cruise did not give you enough time to really see the sites in New Zealand. I would take a land tour and really see New Zealand as it is a long trip for you to return. My spouse had never been to New Zealand and wished that we had more time to spend there. There are some excellent private guides that can set up a tour for you that would enhance your appreciation for a very beautiful country.

After doing Auckland to Sydney this past February, the cruise did not give you enough time to really see the sites in New Zealand. I would take a land tour and really see New Zealand as it is a long trip for you to return. My spouse had never been to New Zealand and wished that we had more time to spend there. There are some excellent private guides that can set up a tour for you that would enhance your appreciation for a very beautiful country.

Thanks all - so are we talking a week? That's kind of what we are looking for.

Well we are going to be cruising all around NZ for almost 1 week... We were hoping to try something different when that's finished. We love cities. Pubs, shopping, culture, that kind of stuff. Stockholm and Copenhagen were some of our last favs on the last O cruise.

The cruise itinerary is here (except our is that time in 2015 on Marina): https://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/australia/mna140223/default.aspx

Thanks again!

Stay on the ship and take the Grand Voyage ending in French Polynesia.

While it's totally opposite of your city idea, if your schedule allows, tack some more time on the front end and experience the Outback. DH and I are so glad we took the time to experience that side of Australia. The southern hemisphere stars in pitch black at night, Uluru at sunset and the Olga's, too were among our amazing experiences. And you could then swing by the Great Barrier Reef for a little snorkeling before returning to Sydney to board the ship! Just a thought.

So much to see and do in both Australia and New Zealand. Happy planning!

machu-picchu-1.jpg

Logistically, I would suggest that you let the best fare and schedule choose your destination, but Santiago, La Paz, Lima or Quito are all fascinating, and although the air-FARES are going to be tough any way that you do it, coming home via South America gives you the option of touring significant sites such as Machu Picchu or doing "the Carnival thing", which is significantly different on the Pacific coast.

Stunning picture.

While it's totally opposite of your city idea, if your schedule allows, tack some more time on the front end and experience the Outback. DH and I are so glad we took the time to experience that side of Australia. The southern hemisphere stars in pitch black at night, Uluru at sunset and the Olga's, too were among our amazing experiences. And you could then swing by the Great Barrier Reef for a little snorkeling before returning to Sydney to board the ship! Just a thought.

So much to see and do in both Australia and New Zealand. Happy planning!

Agree with you.

There is so much to do in either OZ or NZ - I would pick either (or a little more of both) as they are already part of your air ticket (more or less).

Leave S. America for your next cruise. :)

From Aukland I would fly to Nandi Fiji... and stay at places like Tavenui, Matangi , Nukumbati,.. which are the very essence of the south pacific..what Tahiti and Hawaii were like 100 years ago !!! :D

Look them up they will knock you socks off... and not at all touristic. and the finest snorkel diving in the world.

Also out of Nandi/Lutoka take a little 30 passenger Blue Lagoon Cruise into the Yasawa Islands.... for 3 nights...

There are flights on from there to Hawaii or LAX. each about 6 hours and you could break in Hawaii on a trans-pac fare.

As to Santiago...." Good Lord".. its a huge LA size sprawl with choking smog and traffic that hides the Andes most of the time. Too do not forget the Chliean arrival tax of $165 USD pp !!! :eek: It is a very expensive and disjointed town...I was there 10 months ago.. Big time petty crime.

You can take a future cruise Lima to NY or Miami to Lima to see Machu Picchu Flying into LIMA I REMEMBER ALSO HAS a large arrival tax the ship arrivals do not pay

With the exception of Christchurch you are going the get to see quite a lot of NZ and Australia. Remember that 90% of stuff to see/do in Australia is confined to the costal region and the outback is one big void .

I sailed twice to and from Sydney and around New Zealand and you can see a ton of stuff on port days... Not everything but enough to satisfy you..Your ports be more than enough unless you have some unique and special desire..

From Aukland I would fly to Nandi Fiji... and stay at places like Tavenui, Matangi , Nukumbati,.. which are the very essence of the south pacific..what Tahiti and Hawaii were like 100 years ago !!! :D

Look them up they will knock you socks off... and not at all touristic. and the finest snorkel diving in the world.

Also out of Nandi/Lutoka take a little 30 passenger Blue Lagoon Cruise into the Yasawa Islands.... for 3 nights...

There are flights on from there to Hawaii or LAX. each about 6 hours and you could break in Hawaii on a trans-pac fare.

As to Santiago...." Good Lord".. its a huge LA size sprawl with choking smog and traffic that hides the Andes most of the time. Too do not forget the Chliean arrival tax of $165 USD pp !!! :eek: It is a very expensive and disjointed town...I was there 10 months ago.. Big time petty crime.

You can take a future cruise Lima to NY or Miami to Lima to see Machu Picchu Flying into LIMA I REMEMBER ALSO HAS a large arrival tax the ship arrivals do not pay

With the exception of Christchurch you are going the get to see quite a lot of NZ and Australia. Remember that 90% of stuff to see/do in Australia is confined to the costal region and the outback is one big void .

I sailed twice to and from Sydney and around New Zealand and you can see a ton of stuff on port days... Not everything but enough to satisfy you..Your ports be more than enough unless you have some unique and special desire..

The trip idea to Fiji sounds glorious. While the outback in Oz is enormous and there is not alot there, I must respectfully differ with you that it is all a big void. We did enjoy Alice Springs. I found the School of the Air most interesting. Just experiencing seeing the herds of wild camels around Uluru, and the history behind them, the ruggedness of the country, the people and what I said in my early post was something we wouldn't have wanted to miss. And, not knowing if I"ll get back there, wanted to do it when we were there.

Cairns, is a coastal city, not on the OPs itinerary and that's where we stayed when we visited The Great Barrier Reef. Another place, IMHO, not to be missed. And one can stay on some other islands if so inclined.

Again, it all boils down to our own individual interests.

We flew to Queenstown and drove back to Auckland over 11 days. Had a wonderful trip, wish it had been longer as we didn't see nearly all. I think my favourite day was at Hobbiton near Tauranga and I am not a LOTR fan, although DH is. Did lots of hiking also.

Our cruise went to Fiji which was also a favourite. I would love to return there someday. The Great Barrier Reef was outstanding. I say forget about South America and explore the area you are already in.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While the outback in Oz is enormous and there is not alot there, I must respectfully differ with you that it is all a big void. We did enjoy Alice Springs. I found the School of the Air most interesting. Just experiencing seeing the herds of wild camels around Uluru, and the history behind them, the ruggedness of the country, the people and what I said in my early post was something we wouldn't have wanted to miss. And, not knowing if I"ll get back there, wanted to do it when we were there.

Cairns, is a coastal city, not on the OPs itinerary and that's where we stayed when we visited The Great Barrier Reef. Another place, IMHO, not to be missed. And one can stay on some other islands if so inclined.

Not to mention Adelaide, Melbourne and the Great Ocean road & 12 apostles. We also enjoyed Darwin (& surroundings) as well as Perth - too much to see & do.

Ditto for NZ.

Not to mention Adelaide, Melbourne and the Great Ocean road & 12 apostles. We also enjoyed Darwin (& surroundings) as well as Perth - too much to see & do.

Ditto for NZ.

It's the 7 apostles now or maybe 6. You can do the ocean road and Melbourne all on a day trip form the ship... Did so with Regent several years ago

It's the 7 apostles now or maybe 6. You can do the ocean road and Melbourne all on a day trip form the ship... Did so with Regent several years ago

Yes, they keep eroding away.

It's very hard to do as a day trip from the ship, but possible - timing has to be just right.

Plus, you'd miss Melbourne itself - unless you are there overnight.

Melbourne was very interesting to do on your own. Just purchase a bus pass for the day and you can travel all over town. Lots to see and do. There is also a new free tour that walks you through the sites that is worth doing as well. We did the free tour in Sydney and were very pleased with the tour. At the end you tip what you felt the tour was worth, but if you felt the tour was not worth anything, you did not have to tip.

Archived