Waikiki Beach for the day, need advice.

madjohn

Thinking of making Waikiki our beach day. We will be in port on 12-28-13. I understand it may be busy with Holiday travelers.

Questions:

1) Are there any rental places right there to get chairs and umbrellas? If so about how expensive?

2) Anyone have recent experience getting a day pass from any of the hotels?

3) How close is the closest ABC store where I could buy cheap stuff just to dumb after the day?

4) Best way to get from port to beach?

5) Any other advice from experienced travelers?

Thanks

Thinking of making Waikiki our beach day. We will be in port on 12-28-13. I understand it may be busy with Holiday travelers.

Questions:

1) Are there any rental places right there to get chairs and umbrellas? If so about how expensive? There are a couple. The one that leaps to mind is at the western end of Waikiki, immediately south of the breakwater that starts the western end of the Waikiki beach.

2) Anyone have recent experience getting a day pass from any of the hotels?

3) How close is the closest ABC store where I could buy cheap stuff just to dumb after the day? There are ABC stores all over Waikiki. On almost every corner.

4) Best way to get from port to beach? Just a little reading on the board would give you tons of info. Bus, taxi would be very high on my list.

5) Any other advice from experienced travelers?

Thanks

Been there many times, going again in two weeks. Very easy to use.

Went there in march on pride of America. Was full of tourist and was not what I expected. But busy beach - night was nice to walk the beach though. Some neat shops by the beach that are hand made souvenirs. Restaurants to eat ate neat or you can go to Cheesecake Factory. Shops are expensive. Abc stores everywhere. We went to pearl harbor. We did a luau in paradise cove was fun. Soak it in that your in paradise !!! Have fun

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Two of my favorite places to rent chairs are (1) in front of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, I think $50/day for umbrella and 2 chaises, and (2) Kuhio Beach, where the Duke Kahanamoku statue is. Kuhio Beach is on the Diamond Head side of the Moana Surfrider. When you face the ocean there is a guy to the right that rents everything, I think about $30/day for umbrella and chaises.

Our favorite place for take-out is the bar at Duke's at the Outrigger. They have great hamburgers and salads at reasonable prices. And enjoying a mai tai while waiting for your order is a plus.

I would hop in a taxi to my beach of choice so that I have as much time as possible to enjoy the day. I don't think it would be more than $25, and it is your last day of vacation!!!!

There are ABC stores on every corner, especially by Kuhio Beach. They have food and beverage items in their refrigerator section. Their salads are pretty good, and if you are there early in the a.m., their coffee is GREAT!!!

It will be busy but if you get to the beach early you will get a good spot.

Cherie

p.s. If you don't surf, the outrigger rides on Waikiki are fun.

MadJohn, we will be in Waikiki in 6 days time. We visited the Hawaiian Islands a few years ago, hence wanting to come back again.

If your after "nice" shirts/boardshorts seek out Honolua Surf Shop, in Lewers Parade. A bit dearer than the ABC stores, but then your paying for quality.

ABC stores are okay, you can food sealed in plastic, eg. pineapple pieces.

T-shirts, beach towels, beer, wine, nuts, fruit, etc, etc, etc.

If your time is limited in port, don't use "The Bus" opt for a taxi, which will give you more time on Waikiki Beach.

I agree with the other CC member - Dukes Cafe on the beach is excellent, I love their Lava Rock IPA beer (I think it comes from one of the other Hawaiian islands)

We use KOA Beach Services, which are down towards Fort DeRussy end, close to Outrigger Shore Apartments, which is less crowded, and easy to ride a surfboard or SUPB, as the wave action drops at this end of the beach.

Archived