Day pass- Fort Lauderdale

LANDLADY

Just got notice from airline that our return flight home has been pushed back to 7:30pm. So looking for somewhere to spend day in Fort Lauderdale once we leave ship. Any thoughts or suggestions? Will be Saturday November 30th. Thanks for your help.

We have never been able to find anything. The DH and I laugh and say it is an business opportunity for someone.

Rent a car, put your luggage in the trunk and spend the day at the beach or head to the Everglades. We have done both. You will go home with sand on your feet but what a nice souvenir for the day!

Just got notice from airline that our return flight home has been pushed back to 7:30pm. So looking for somewhere to spend day in Fort Lauderdale once we leave ship. Any thoughts or suggestions? Will be Saturday November 30th. Thanks for your help.

Yes, PLEASE! Hope someone has some suggestions. We are also looking for a 'day room' if available. We are "mobility challenged" so we can't rent a car and go sightseeing or even take a tour to somewhere. We have heard that there are hotels that offer rates for day-time hours. Our flight does not leave until 8:20 pm..... L-O-N-G time to sit in the airport....especially the FLL airport with nothing to do!:o

We are cruising in January......

The Fort Lauderdale Tourism Department has an excellent website that includes a list of hotels noting whether they have shuttles and day rooms (based on availability): http://www.sunny.org/travel-trade/pr...otel-shuttles/. I would start there and make inquiries directly to the hotels listed. There is lots of other useful information on that site.

The Fort Lauderdale Tourism Department has an excellent website that includes a list of hotels noting whether they have shuttles and day rooms (based on availability): http://www.sunny.org/travel-trade/pr...otel-shuttles/. I would start there and make inquiries directly to the hotels listed. There is lots of other useful information on that site.

Thank you! That is a great place to start. :)

The Roadway Inn offers a day room for $49 for up to 4 people. According to their website they will pick you up at the port and at the end of the day shuttle you to the airport.

Reviews on Trip Advisor are not too bad and you do have use of the pool and restaurant.

We're thinking about it for our December cruise. Our flight home isn't till 8 PM.

Hope this helps

Beth

I had tried this site and did not have any luck finding the places listed offering day passes (this was in Oct 2012). We ended up booking the Sheraton on the beach for $149. We were at the hotel at 10am and they put us in a room immediately. It was totally worth it to us as we had the room to relax in and it was right on the beach. It was also within walking distance, albeit a long walking distance, to shops and restaurants. We got to see the Allure sailaway from the beach at 5pm and caught a taxi at 6pm to FLL.

I have found myself in this same position for next week with my twins aged 11. (3 of us). I will be getting off a cruise in Miami on the 11th. My flight is out of FLL at 5 pm. I don't have to long to kill but certainly don't want to be at the airport by 10 am. Was originally going to head to Bayside Market to kill some time, but am finding it difficult to get a shuttle from there to the airport as most of their permits are from the port only. Thought of the car rental idea, although no cheaper than a cab from what I gather around $80???. My issue is of course luggage at the market. So now I am thinking of heading up by shuttle to FLL and perhaps hitting a mall there or the beach for a few hours but AGAIN the luggage. Any suggestions anyone would be real helpful. At best I have roughly 4 hours, so not sure its worth a day pass?? Also does anyone know if the malls are open giving the 11th is a holiday? I have emailed them but no reply. HELP:confused:

There is a web site for day rooms, but availability in FLL has always been very poor: http://www.between9and5.com/

I have read that there is luggage storage for a fee available at FLL -- you generally cannot check bags with your airline earlier than 4 hours before your flight.

I still think a one-way car rental would be your best bet - put the bags in the trunk and then go where you want: beach, shopping, Hollywood boardwalk, South Beach, movie, etc. Shuttle costs for 3 will be close to $45-60 - spend that on a car rental and avoid the hassel.

Everything will be open on 11/11 -- it is turning into just another excuse for a sail instead of a holiday. :(

Good luck! :)

Edited by JohninDC

I am hoping to use luggage express on carnival's Freedom and then a cab ride to the water taxi, bar hopping along the way. Flight leaves at 6:45pm.

What is Luggage Express on the Freedom?? Thats what ship we will be on in December, and are looking for options for our luggage, we also have a late flight home....

I was told that luggage express is a service available on certain ships and airlines which you basically check-in for your flight on board and when you leave your bags outside the night before disembarkation you don't see them again until your plane lands. I searched for "luggage express" and your airline to read about it. My flight is on JetBlue which was a participant. I'll report back later in November has to how well it worked.

The Roadway Inn offers a day room for $49 for up to 4 people. According to their website they will pick you up at the port and at the end of the day shuttle you to the airport.

Reviews on Trip Advisor are not too bad and you do have use of the pool and restaurant.

We're thinking about it for our December cruise. Our flight home isn't till 8 PM.

Hope this helps

Beth

Used Roadway this past Sunday. Arrived at approx 9:00 - had room ready that we were able to get into. Only glich - our cruise from Miami didn't have luggage express & we had all of our baggage, and room was on the 2nd floor - no elevator. Other than that, room was clean, and was nice to relax in for the afternoon. Roadway had shuttle back to the airport at time requested (6:00 p.m.). Had a pizza delivered late in the afternoon, rather than eating in Roadway's lounge. Nothing close to walk to.

• 4 weeks later...

Luggage Express worked like a champ off carnival freedom at port Everglades. We had FTTF so we got zone 1 disembark but the luggage express got zone 4. Got a cab to hilton marina but rain put a damper on our idea to use water taxi for an informal tour. Went up the street to Bimini boatyard restaurant. Had a wonderful lunch there and spent the afternoon in their bar. Very friendly people and good atmosphere. They called us a cab to go to FLL. Arrived at SFO and luggage was the first off the plane. Really worth the $20/bag to not have to deal with luggage thru customs and thru the airport.