Alcohol Policy Princess

thommo119

I'll just take that as you admitting you have nothing to contribute but hot air.

Thanks for playing.

I'm always amused how tough people are when they are

hiding behind some fake internet name.

If one doesn't learn honesty and personal integrity from

their parents as a child, reading some internet post later

in life will certainly not have any effect.

C'mon people, you're both right. ;) Yes, successful corporations help America. But I'm getting really tired of money-grubbing corporations that only care about their bottom line. But then again, that's indeed our "Catch-22", isn't it? Success breeds happy investors breeds jobs breeds.....oh yeah, moving the jobs overseas. :rolleyes: Etc., etc., etc.

But really Pablo, if I may, you're the one who said "Some people have no honor." IMHO, that's a personal insult.

To each his own, live and let live. :cool:

NativeSoCal- Please pull up a bar stool, we really must chat. DH and I prefer Skyy vodka and pay $16.99 for 1.75L at Cc. Gee, how many 'ship' martinis would that make? :D (We usually pour about 3oz pre-chilled per cocktail.)

Edited by JuneauWhatIMean

C'mon people, you're both right. ;) Yes, successful corporations help America. But I'm getting really tired of money-grubbing corporations that only care about their bottom line. But then again, that's indeed our "Catch-22", isn't it? Success breeds happy investors breeds jobs breeds.....oh yeah, moving the jobs overseas. :rolleyes: Etc., etc., etc.

But really Pablo, if I may, you're the one who said "Some people have no honor." IMHO, that's a personal insult.

To each his own, live and let live. :cool:

NativeSoCal- Please pull up a bar stool, we really must chat. DH and I prefer Skyy vodka and pay $16.99 for 1.75L at Cc. Gee, how many 'ship' martinis would that make? :D (We usually pour about 3oz pre-chilled per cocktail.)

Does Cc= Costco? That's not a bad price for the US and nowhere close to what they charge on the ship for sure.

Does Cc= Costco? That's not a bad price for the US and nowhere close to what they charge on the ship for sure.

Actually, the Princess Gifts & Services list's Skyy vodka for only $0.01 more! Of course it's a 375ml bottle rather than a 1.75L bottle but... :rolleyes:

Security sees 'your' wine, and says you have to stop and pay a

fee to bring it on board. Because no one is looking 'you' walk

past without paying.

That is the post I replied to.

You've been caught. They have asked you to pay before you proceed.

This isn't the case where you put something in a checked bag, and luck

was on your side.

YOU WERE ASKED TO PAY, AND YOU WALKED PAST BECAUSE NO ONE WAS LOOKING.

Is that honest? Is that what you would teach your kids to do?

Should only do the right thing when someone is watching?

The absolute funniest part of this whole thing -- come to a public

forum and announce that security was so lax you walked right

by them without paying.

It is someone's job at princess to enforce this. Do you think

they enjoy the public ridicule at how well they do their job?

In my opinion, if you want to do this, and keep getting away

with it. You should not come on a forum and boast.

Just look at the people who laminated their coffee cards,

and planned to use them for brewed coffee for the rest

of their lives ... enough of them announced that princess

changed the card and the rules.

Edited by pablo222

You've been caught. They have asked you to pay before you proceed.

This isn't the case where you put something in a checked bag, and luck

was on your side.

YOU WERE ASKED TO PAY, AND YOU WALKED PAST BECAUSE NO ONE WAS LOOKING.

Is that honest? Is that what you would teach your kids to do?

Should only do the right thing when someone is watching?

The rationalizers will never get it.

Every grocery store in the U.S. has self-serve checkout registers. It would be real easy to "walk right by" with unpaid groceries when "no one is looking". Do the alcohol Robin Hoods on this forum do that? Why is it so acceptable to deprive Princess of alcohol-related profits but it isn't acceptable to deprive Kroger's of produce-related profits? I get it that some of you think that major corporations are money-grubbing. So if Kroger's charges what you think is too much for soup, do you steal it?

"Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching." C.S. Lewis

Edited by JimmyVWine

• 1 month later...
The Gifts & Services form is located HERE

The rum that is available is:

Rum:

Bacardi White (375ml bottle)

Item #2357 – $17

Cruzan Coconut Rum

(375ml bottle)

Item #2358 – $17

Call Princess at 1-800-774-62371-800-774-6237 and order by specific item number

and here

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Call

Send SMS

Add to Skype

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Yes, but.....

A 375ml bottle of Rum gifted to yourself and waiting for you on board costs $17. Bombay Sapphire Gin costs $22. Using 1.5 ounces as the standard drink size, you would get roughly 12 drinks per 375ml bottle. For the rum, that comes out to $1.40 per drink (with no need to tip yourself. :D) For the Gin, that comes out to $1.83 per drink.

If you smuggle those same bottles (or the contents thereof) on board, first you have to buy them. The rum would cost around $8 and the gin would cost around $13. So your do-it-yourself drinks would cost you $0.66 and $1.08 respectively. And that does not add in the cost of whatever stealth device one had to by to get the liquid on board the ship. Are the risks associated with smuggling liquor on board really worth the savings achieved by driving down the price of a drink from $1.40-$1.83 to $0.66-$1.08? I can understand the desire of folks to bypass $8.00 drinks. But isn't the solution to gift yourself a bottle or two? It's not as if the smuggled-on liquor was free.

I love this. Thanks 😁

btw- I just bought 2 bottles of Disarono (1 Liter bottles) the other day aboard the ship using a photo of the price in St Thomas for proof of price. (The ships doesn't sell small bottles of Disarono for the room consumption. )

The price of Disarono in St Thomas was $19. Ships price normally is $24. With the Elite discount it came to $17.20 and if purchased after leaving St Thomas they let you carry it back to your room.

Liquor collection when entering the ship at foreign ports is typically lax at best and only those really wanting to have their purchases collected for "safekeeping" :rolleyes: do so.

Has anyone experienced the implementation of the alcohol rule? I usually take on a bottle to have a drink prior to going out & my bar bill is usually healthy so don't see why line is ticking people off!!!

You are the exception because most people, though they will never admit this bring on their own supply of alcohol to keep the bar bill down in the dumps. This is what is ticking the cruise line off. If you keep a high bar balance you may want to check out the unlimited drink package. It has worked out for us in the past. It includes all beverages cocktails, wine, coffee, bottled water, soft drinks.

I never said that I was "dead set against it". I said that I don't quite understand it. No matter how you slice it, $8 at Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale versus $17 on board is a savings of $9. If one wants to say that $9 is "cheaper by a long shot", then I suppose that all boils down to how one values a ten dollar bill. Even if you bring your bottle from home, you have to account for the fixed cost of what you originally paid. On no level is the bottle "free" unless it was gifted or won. I just don't understand the angst behind "Rum Runners" and other methods of secretion over a $9 savings. I don't view that as "cheaper by a long shot". You do. So we just differ.

I agree and I don't understand how passengers will go through the trouble of packing a case of Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's only to pay a $15 corkage fee. For a few bucks more you can have a better bottle of wine even if it's the cheapest bottle on the menu and you don't have to shlep it around the ship.

You are the exception because most people, though they will never admit this bring on their own supply of alcohol to keep the bar bill down in the dumps. This is what is ticking the cruise line off. If you keep a high bar balance you may want to check out the unlimited drink package. It has worked out for us in the past. It includes all beverages cocktails, wine, coffee, bottled water, soft drinks.

The way I've seen people (with the unlimited drink card) drinking this past cruise on the Royal it's a wonder that Princess can make any profit at all. The mark-up must be out of sight.

The extremely small amount of profit loss from people bringing on their own liquor has to be a drop in the bucket in comparison.