No longer feel like "Royalty"

Often he asked to see a piece of correspondence and would personally respond to them.

This was a comment made by several people in this thread.

It's not that most people think Adam sits down every day and responds to thousands of emails. However, there are different types of senior execs on this planet. There are hands off types that you would never in a million years expect to personally reply and there are types that you can reasonably infer that probably are hands on enough to take a few pre-screened emails and personally respond to.

This is what your former CEO must have been like. They don't need to read 99.999999998% of the email that comes in. They just want a general idea of what is coming in, like major issues, common themes, etc.

These types of senior execs have a system set up where they only get things that really interest them or really need addressing from the top. Whatever those triggers are, the teams send them on and eventually it would pass enough marks to hit the senior exec. Then the senior exec would then either say "I read it. Send the usual." or "I read it, write up something extra nice for me." or even "I read it, I'll be responding myself."

I understand that reality TV isn't always reflective of reality life... but they have done more than 50 of those Undercover Boss episodes here in the US and hundreds more around the world. A *lot* of senior execs have been on television trying to identify on a more personal level with their employees & customers.

If some seriously large corps around the world have senior execs that will go that far... it's insane to think that no CEO or COO or President of a company EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER reads an email from a customer.

To flat rule that out as 0% likely seems insane.

Edited by poncho1973
speeeeeling erorrs

They had a get together for newlyweds where they served cake and champange free of charge, they don't do that now.

In June this year on Mariner they did exactly that. We received the invitation on the first night and it was for lunch the following day. Some ships still do it :)

I respect your lamentations, but the letter you have drafted will likely be summarily disregarded as it reads like that ramblings of an angry senior citizen one might find sitting on a park bench complaining about how things aren't like they used to be.

Edited by macruisefan

On a recent cruise we really got quite fed up with tablemates constantly whining and complaining about how this and that wasn't the way it used to be, and how standards had dropped. It actually spoiled our meal. We couldn't understand why they returned time after time to Royal Caribbean when they obviously weren't satisfied, and eventually told them so!

If someone has a genuine complaint about something that is not as it should be, or not what they paid for, of course they should raise the issue with the appropriate person, at the time. In our experience these issues can usually be dealt with quickly.

If it's simply about small things like chocolates and towel animals, and being surprised at not getting 6 star treatment for a 4 star price, perhaps people should shop around, and find the kind of special treatment they can get (and pay for) with one of the luxury lines.

At the end of the day, we are nothing more than cash generating customers to the cruiseline. The idea that we are part of some big "family" with a personal connection to the company is little more than a marketing model. If the customer isn't happy, they should become someone else's customer. There are plenty of alternatives, but people have to be realistic about what they actually pay for.

I started cruising in 1994 and then you could skeet shoot off of the ship. Can't do that now. They had a get together for newlyweds where they served cake and champange free of charge, they don't do that now. You could smoke in the dining room, can't do that now.

I honeymooned on Oasis 12 months ago and they actually did have the cake/champagne event for newlyweds :) I'm glad that's one thing that has stuck around

On a recent cruise we really got quite fed up with tablemates constantly whining and complaining about how this and that wasn't the way it used to be, and how standards had dropped. It actually spoiled our meal. We couldn't understand why they returned time after time to Royal Caribbean when they obviously weren't satisfied, and eventually told them so!

If someone has a genuine complaint about something that is not as it should be, or not what they paid for, of course they should raise the issue with the appropriate person, at the time. In our experience these issues can usually be dealt with quickly.

If it's simply about small things like chocolates and towel animals, and being surprised at not getting 6 star treatment for a 4 star price, perhaps people should shop around, and find the kind of special treatment they can get (and pay for) with one of the luxury lines.

At the end of the day, we are nothing more than cash generating customers to the cruiseline. The idea that we are part of some big "family" with a personal connection to the company is little more than a marketing model. If the customer isn't happy, they should become someone else's customer. There are plenty of alternatives, but people have to be realistic about what they actually pay for.

You are exactly right. Although I will say I would pay 25 cents more per cruise just to find a pen a a few pieces of paper in the drawer. :D

But it is a bit annoying to here constant bashing of the cruise line at a meal or anywhere, especially from those who are actually treated a bit like royalty.

Discussing changes is one thing, but sometimes it sounds as if they hate RCI.

Sarcasm is a bit different than my curiosity about the why's and how's of some posts. I take many of theses posts with a grain of salt. Stir the pot at times to get a response, maybe:D. Some folks take the bait, others know by now. You more or less know from experience whether certain posts have merit or not, or if certain posts are from "trolls". That you clarified some of your earlier posts, thats great and as far as you being upset by my retorts I'm sorry to hear that. As far as being sorry for me , please don't, I have a nice day evey morning that I wake up.;) ...K.O....(By the way enjoy your cruises and hope the dining experience returns to the standard you have come to expect.)

WOW! CruizAddct gave you a scathing review!

Although I do not always agree with you. I appreciate your posts. Sometimes folk just do not want or like to be called on their nonsense. A little reality check is good for us all sometimes. Keep up the good work!

Hey RCCL are ya listening...??? I have a suggestion...

On the little note that says ask for "ICE" how about also listing all of the

little things you have discontinued on the list like a pen, note paper, chocolates on pillow, extra bars of soap, towel animals.......shucks if that is all it takes to make a persons cruise perfect then.....Hey! Why not?

You would still save a lot of money on those that bring their own pens, note paper, chocolates for the pillow, extra bars of soap, make their own towel animals and are happy with less. :-)

I'm happy with the small exception of that missing pen ..........

Prices OK! Food OK! Cabin OK! Entertainment OK! Staff great! But....

about that pen...

Edited by dealer9296

Hey RCCL are ya listening...??? I have a suggestion...

On the little note that says ask for "ICE" how about also listing all of the

little things you have discontinued on the list like a pen, note paper, chocolates on pillow, extra bars of soap, towel animals.......shucks if that is all it takes to make a persons cruise perfect then.....Hey! Why not?

You would still save a lot of money on those that bring their own pens, note paper, chocolates for the pillow, extra bars of soap, make their own towel animals and are happy with less. :-)

I'm happy with the small exception of that missing pen ..........

Prices OK! Food OK! Cabin OK! Entertainment OK! Staff great! But....

about that pen...

Oh how I totally agree. That missing pen a boys me completely. Of course I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Really, I did. It cost $99 and a pen was included. (Note pad, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, sower cap, and sign stating they'd give me any other essential forgotten like toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream)

About that pen.....I still suspect Motel 6 has them although I don't know from experience. ;)

• 11 months later...

It was interesting to read the comments of the RCI CEO concerning the discontinuance

of the nightly chocolates. Not everyone likes the chocolates and, fleet wide, they found

that TONS of chocolates were being wasted. Of course, it would have nicer if you just

told your room steward you liked chocolate and could still receive them.

CruizAddct,

It really makes no difference what anyone thinks about your grievances. If these issues are important to you and are what make your vacation special, then so be it. The small things can make a big difference to some. They often define the transition between commonplace and luxurious. As a long time customer you should let RCI know.

Unfortunately, I do not believe much will come of it. This is the unfortunate reality across many markets today. Cost cutting and mass marketing. These are big ships and they need to be filled. Bad publicity tied with world issues and a weak economy don't bode well with affordable luxuries.

I think it's probably time to find a new cruise line that is more suitable to your tastes. Hopefully, if you spend a little more you will get a lot more in return.

We just got off the Grandeur a few days ago, and I agree with the OP about the MDR food choices and quality. Third time on GOS and each time a notch lower.

Ironically, the Windjammer has the best food quality and variety of any ship we have been on, including Carnival, Princess and Celebrity lines, with the best choices of ethnic dishes and great desserts IMO.

We just got off the Grandeur a few days ago, and I agree with the OP about the MDR food choices and quality. Third time on GOS and each time a notch lower.

Ironically, the Windjammer has the best food quality and variety of any ship we have been on, including Carnival, Princess and Celebrity lines, with the best choices of ethnic dishes and great desserts IMO.

We have never cruised on Grandeur, but we have cruised on many Royal ships and gone on Majesty many many times. I can't say that when I compare one Majesty cruise to another, I can note such differences that would have me say that each time the food was a notch lower.

I can't remember from one cruise to another exactly what I order (except for the shrimp cocktail each night) but what is more memorable is the service from the wait staff. The only time we have had less that great service was when we were at a table for two. It is just one of the reasons we have learned to request to be seated at a large table. The other reason is that when we are at home we can have dinner every night with each other, so on a cruise we enjoy the company of others and it gives us the opportunity to meet a few people. I also believe the service is better.

Oh how I totally agree. That missing pen a boys me completely. Of course I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Really, I did. It cost $99 and a pen was included. (Note pad, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, sower cap, and sign stating they'd give me any other essential forgotten like toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream)

About that pen.....I still suspect Motel 6 has them although I don't know from experience. ;)

I completely agree with you Gina. Bring a Holiday Inn Express pen onboard the RCI product, and display it proudly!!:D:D

Actually, we have learned to bring our own pen, hide it, use it when necessary, and then take it back home with us.

It's just a one line item on our packing list!!:)

Rick

This thread was started in October of 2013, and I often wonder if the OP actually went on another cruise line, and what they had to say about it in comparison to Royal.

Ack!! I didn't even notice that. It would be interesting to know how the OP resolved it.

Ack!! I didn't even notice that. It would be interesting to know how the OP resolved it.

Just checked her posting history. She never came back with the out come or resolution of her letter RCCL (whether or not there ever was any)

She did stay with RCCL, as she is on two roll calls.....The Allure and Legend of the Seas.

I totally agree. I would be willing to pay a little more to get back some of the things that were special to cruising. The fact that the ships were always meticulouly kept, the little chocolate at night, soap and shampoo in the shower, don't sound like too much to ask for. They made the trip feel special and you walked away thinking about where you wanted to cruise next. I personally don't need more activity areas on a ship; what I do need is cleanliness and basic upkeep.

Just checked her posting history. She never came back with the out come or resolution of her letter RCCL (whether or not there ever was any)

She did stay with RCCL, as she is on two roll calls.....The Allure and Legend of the Seas.

She posted the reply, pretty bland

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Just goes to show how subjective food is. Sailed on the Grandeur in Oct. and we thought the choices and the quality were very good. I also thought the food was better than when I sailed on her last Feb. Thought the Windjammer was also very good but still think Celebrity's lunch buffet is better.;):)

I can't remember from one cruise to another exactly what I order (except for the shrimp cocktail each night) but what is more memorable is the service from the wait staff. The only time we have had less that great service was when we were at a table for two. It is just one of the reasons we have learned to request to be seated at a large table. The other reason is that when we are at home we can have dinner every night with each other, so on a cruise we enjoy the company of others and it gives us the opportunity to meet a few people. I also believe the service is better.

Interesting, but I've never noticed that service is better depending on the size of the table. We recently had MTD with the same table for 2 with the same wait staff each night, except for one night, and service was great. The one night we were at a larger table, the service not so great. I attributed it to the waiter, not the size of the table.

I can't remember from one cruise to another exactly what I order (except for the shrimp cocktail each night)...

A good point. from my own experience, the Cruise is the time for me to find the absolute most oddball thing on the MDR menu that I might try because I just might like it - and there were some out-there Curry dishes on the Radiance Hawaii-to-Vancouver trip. Even our waiters-- the guys were Indonesian and Malaysian-- were asking me "Are you sure?" the first couple nights. Have only once been let down enough to ask for a substitute entrée.

So where some might say they can't find anything they like on the menu, my philosophy is "I'll just keep trying new stuff until I can!" ;)

A good point. from my own experience, the Cruise is the time for me to find the absolute most oddball thing on the MDR menu that I might try because I just might like it - and there were some out-there Curry dishes on the Radiance Hawaii-to-Vancouver trip. Even our waiters-- the guys were Indonesian and Malaysian-- were asking me "Are you sure?" the first couple nights. Have only once been let down enough to ask for a substitute entrée.

So where some might say they can't find anything they like on the menu, my philosophy is "I'll just keep trying new stuff until I can!" ;)

Have you tried the "sweet and sour vegetarian chicken chunks" yet? I could not bring myself to order that one, in spite of my curiosity.