Snorkeling for Nonswimmer

We're going on a B2B Valor cruise in March and will visit Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. DH wants to do some snorkeling. Problem is, I cannot swim. :o Is there an excursion on any of those islands where we could go snorkeling that someone like me could also partake in? Thanks for any help. :)

We're going on a B2B Valor cruise in March and will visit Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. DH wants to do some snorkeling. Problem is, I cannot swim. :o Is there an excursion on any of those islands where we could go snorkeling that someone like me could also partake in? Thanks for any help. :)

Snorkeling normally involves swimming, but you could always put on a mask and look underwater while standing up. You might see some fish that way. The downside is that if you can't swim you can't go far from shore. I don't think a snorkeling guide would take you because you wouldn't keep up with the others.

But you do have time before your cruise to get in some swimming lessons. Great exercise and a valuable skill for everyone. You will never regret learning to swim.

Are you afraid of the water? Makes a difference. If not, you can get some kind of flotation device to hang on to. And the carnival excursions all require life vests be worn. (I really dislike!) if you are afraid of the water I wouldn't go. Remember, it's the ocean and you wouldn't want to panic.

I have taken swimming lessons three different times and can still barely swim; and yet we have a beautiful pool in our home. I am also claustrophobic and afraid of the water. I have snorkeled, but only in water where I can stand up. I practice snorkeling in our pool. If you wear a snorkel and fins and are face-down in the water, you will automatically float. If you have a fear of the water, find out where you can use snorkeling equipment in a pool and practice in the shallow end where you can stand up. Also, I believe cruise ships offer snorkeling lessons on board. Check with your cruise line. Hopefully you're braver than I am, because snorkeling can be addictive. Best of Luck.

Hi Married,

I too cannot swim and have taken swimming lessons as a kid and adult more than once. Just can't get the arms and legs coordinated. I can float though

I went snorkling for the first time a few weeks ago on the Miracle with my brother in PV and the next day in Cabo. Both times off the back of a boat so plenty deep. Everyone was required to wear a life jacket which was fine with me. Not so with most others, but that was for liability.

I never felt I was slowing anyone down as it was at your own pace, no racing to get anywhere. If you go with someone you trust, you should be fine. I went with my brother and I knew he was there for me even though both excursions had their own swimmers in the water. The one thing I was really glad about was most people on the excursion got snorkles on the boat so all you could see were green and yellow snorkles in the water. My brother had his own so not green and yellow so I could always tell where he was. Made me feel better.

I liked it so much in PV we canceled parasailing in Cabo so we could snorkle again there. PV the water was a little rough, but Cabo was smoother.

Have fun, I did and I am now addicted. I'm also taking swimming lessons again starting in a few weeks so wish me luck. Also am working on arm strength as that is also an issue for me

St Thomas - Coki Point Beach you can stand and see the fish.

Beautiful - snorkeling would be perfect for "chickens" like me. How far from cruise ship ports? Is Coki Point Beach offered as a shore excursion by cruise lines?

Beautiful - snorkeling would be perfect for "chickens" like me. How far from cruise ship ports? Is Coki Point Beach offered as a shore excursion by cruise lines?

Very easy to get to Coki on your own. From the pier there will be greeters that will ask where do you want to go.Tell them Coki Beach and they will direct you to a shared taxi. Cost to and from the beach is 11.00 p/p ea way.

Plenty of taxis waiting to take you back,chairs at Coki are 5.00 and they have beach service for food and drinks. Have fun !

Very easy to get to Coki on your own. From the pier there will be greeters that will ask where do you want to go.Tell them Coki Beach and they will direct you to a shared taxi. Cost to and from the beach is 11.00 p/p ea way.

Plenty of taxis waiting to take you back,chairs at Coki are 5.00 and they have beach service for food and drinks. Have fun !

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Sapphire Beach in St Thomas is also another place that is gorgeous and you can snorkel right from the beach. The coral comes right up to the end of the beach and surface. There's a sandy area that also goes right along the side of the coral. It was an awesome place to snorkel and we were actually about to go pretty far out and it still wasn't deep. The place is beautiful and has grape trees lining the beach.

They have a webcam too: http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/ Check it out during the day.

I did a review on Sapphire and you can find it located in my signature line. It has pictures along with a link to additional pictures. :)

Also remember, when you are in the ocean, it is easier to float in the salt water than in a pool. Also, when snorkeling, a majority of snorkeling is just floating...with a life vest on, this is very easy to do. Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings and don't float out, but usually you'll float sideways with the tide.

Edited by mitsugirly

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in St. Thomas for 5 years, right up the road from Coki, and we swam there nearly every morning. It is a gorgeous beach, and honestly, in salt water, you really have to work at sinking. With snorkel gear you can just hang in the water. The real problem is your fear of water. It is no fun to begin hyperventilating and freak out. My advice is stay on the dive/snorkel boat with your DH snorkels and just enjoy your day in the sun. BUT, that said, you absolutely CAN snorkel at Coki Beach and enjoy yourself, and not drift out into deep water and be in danger. You really should find someone to buddy up with, because when people snorkel their heads are down and if your DH is occupied he may be unaware if something happens where you might need help. I am a certified diver and there is a reason we use the buddy system. No matter how experienced a diver/snorkeler, or how great a swimmer anyone is, things can occur that are unexpected.

I had a paralyzing fear of water for years, having drowned as a youngster. My brother dived in and saved me. I wouldn't go near water for years. I finally decided to learn to SCUBA dive in order to get over my fear. It made a huge difference to know that I was in control, and had an air supply.

I wish you all the best! I hope that whatever you decide, that you and your DH have an awesome time.

Stacy Allen

Atlanta GA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't have to be to good a swimmer to snorkel ,of course Like the other person said it is always a good idea to take some lessons before you go. I was 43 when I took swimming lessons. the hardest part is learning to breathe through your mouth, I would practice in a pool or if you live somewhere like me ,try the bathtub. Snorkeling is one of my very favorite things. it is amazing what kind of self confidence a snorkel vest will give you .. In Barbados you can go right from the beach and snorkel with the sea turtles which is absolutely magnificent and if you are lucky enough to blend in with one of the tour groups that are feeding them they pop right up out of the water and are swimming all around you. we have snorkeled in all those places but prefer to book small private tours. we don't care for the large crowds when snorkeling