Clearwater or St Pete's

afcruiser

OMG. Where has the time gone??

We plan on a 2 day post cruise stay and have looked into the St Pete area. Looking at a map Clearwater is a straight shot over.

We are winging it and haven't booked anything yet.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Just lookin for a smaller hotel on the beach to relax and unwind. Will have a rental car.

Might do some fishing. Hoping for nice warm weather. It's snowing here today. BBRRRR.:eek:

Thanks for any info.:p

I prefer St Pete Bch over Clearwater Bch as it seems less crowded. From Tampa to SPB it's a straight shot on I-275 over the Howard Franklin Bridge from Tampa into St.Pete and then about 14 mi to the Pinellas Bayway exit to the beach.

We have stayed several times at the Alden All Suites. Nice hotel, good rates, and all suite rooms. www.aldenbeachresort.com

For a more Mom & Pop type hotel, The Keystone is at the end of the beach on Pass-a-grille Beach. It has beach on one side and is a block from the bay on the other. The bayside offers great fishing and charters. There are a few restaurants, bars and a more artsy feel to this end of the beach. This end of the beach has more Mom & Pop style hotels and B&Bs over the larger ones.

http://www.keystonemotel.com/

From this area, you are only a few miles to Ft.Desoto Park and Beach. There are two fishing piers, kayak, canoe and bike rentals plus the beach with clamshell and beach toys rentals as well.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

Good luck

:)

OMG. Where has the time gone??

We plan on a 2 day post cruise stay and have looked into the St Pete area. Looking at a map Clearwater is a straight shot over.

We are winging it and haven't booked anything yet.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Just lookin for a smaller hotel on the beach to relax and unwind. Will have a rental car.

Might do some fishing. Hoping for nice warm weather. It's snowing here today. BBRRRR.:eek:

Thanks for any info.:p

Are you asking about St Pete Beach or St Pertersburg? There is a huge difference between the two cities.

I prefer St Pete Bch over Clearwater Bch as it seems less crowded. From Tampa to SPB it's a straight shot on I-275 over the Howard Franklin Bridge from Tampa into St.Pete and then about 14 mi to the Pinellas Bayway exit to the beach.

We have stayed several times at the Alden All Suites. Nice hotel, good rates, and all suite rooms. www.aldenbeachresort.com

For a more Mom & Pop type hotel, The Keystone is at the end of the beach on Pass-a-grille Beach. It has beach on one side and is a block from the bay on the other. The bayside offers great fishing and charters. There are a few restaurants, bars and a more artsy feel to this end of the beach. This end of the beach has more Mom & Pop style hotels and B&Bs over the larger ones.

http://www.keystonemotel.com/

From this area, you are only a few miles to Ft.Desoto Park and Beach. There are two fishing piers, kayak, canoe and bike rentals plus the beach with clamshell and beach toys rentals as well.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

Good luck

Thanks,

St Pete's it will be.

I have info on Hotels to include the one's you just listed. We haven't booked anything but that's part of the fun. Have the Expedia app on phone. Hopefully no trouble finding a room.

You've helped us before and Thanks again.

:)

Are you asking about St Pete Beach or St Pertersburg? There is a huge difference between the two cities.

St Pete's.

Will be our first time there and first time out of Tampa.

So excited. This will be "getting my land legs back" part of the trip. Cannot stand getting off a Ship and going home. Debarkation is depressing enough:(.

Thanks for any info.

St Pete's.

Will be our first time there and first time out of Tampa.

So excited. This will be "getting my land legs back" part of the trip. Cannot stand getting off a Ship and going home. Debarkation is depressing enough:(.

Thanks for any info.

Treasure Island and look at the Bilmar. Fantastic location and beach.

We just moved from the area and used to spend a lot of time there.

John's Pass is spectacular. Great oceanfront restaurants, shopping, and bars.

Treasure Island and look at the Bilmar. Fantastic location and beach.

We just moved from the area and used to spend a lot of time there.

John's Pass is spectacular. Great oceanfront restaurants, shopping, and bars.

Thanks so much.

I've been lurking for a few month's. And feel, not having been to St Pete's, that we know enough about the area to enjoy ourselves.

I just never researched Clearwater and was curious.

My BIL lives part time near there.

Will post upon return home as I will be sad it's over. So going to make the best of this trip.

Thanks again

Our favorite is Indian Rocks Beach between Clearwater and St. Pete Beach. Small town and quiet and we took SuperShuttle to the beach.

We may just do a drive through. We have some time. Debarking is to early.:(

And we prefer quieter/low key.

A lot of times we'll book prior. Then when we arrive we'll like that place better.:confused:

So this time we're just gonna wing it. No kids, no worrie's.

Thanks for your reply.

Happy Sails

If you enjoy smoked fish, make a point to visit Ted Peters Smoked Fish.

It is a very casual restaurant that is just over the causway from SPB.

They have smoked fish platters, smoked fish spread, homemade German potato salad as well as burgers and hot dogs.

The restaurant was on Diners-Drive Inns and Dives. Here is a video link if you are interested. They are closed on Tues but open at 11 am -7 the rest of the week.

If you enjoy smoked fish, make a point to visit Ted Peters Smoked Fish.

It is a very casual restaurant that is just over the causway from SPB.

They have smoked fish platters, smoked fish spread, homemade German potato salad as well as burgers and hot dogs.

The restaurant was on Diners-Drive Inns and Dives. Here is a video link if you are interested. They are closed on Tues but open at 11 am -7 the rest of the week.

Thanks for this info. This we will try. We have a freezer full of Salmon and 2 smokers. Yes, we like smoked fish. And I love, love german potato salad but Hubby doesn't so rarely make it anymore.

Thanks for the tip.

This is what I love about these boards. :p

You've been exceptionally helpful.

Have to chime in as we have a condo on St. Pete Beach and live about five minutes away on the way down to Fort Desoto. St. Pete Beach is much more low key/quiet than Clearwater & there are all kinds of places to stay ranging from Don CeSar (pink palace) to local Mom & Pop's. Great local restaurants as well right in St. Pete Beach. Easy to get around using the beach trolley or free "jitneys" that you can call or text. Although it looks like a clear shot to Clearwater, you will have sooo much more traffic to negotiate than simply take #275S to Exit 17 @ the bayway which is only a few miles off of the beach ~ two traffic lights and you're done! Have change for the toll plaza ($.75) unless you have a car with transponder.

Have to chime in as we have a condo on St. Pete Beach and live about five minutes away on the way down to Fort Desoto. St. Pete Beach is much more low key/quiet than Clearwater & there are all kinds of places to stay ranging from Don CeSar (pink palace) to local Mom & Pop's. Great local restaurants as well right in St. Pete Beach. Easy to get around using the beach trolley or free "jitneys" that you can call or text. Although it looks like a clear shot to Clearwater, you will have sooo much more traffic to negotiate than simply take #275S to Exit 17 @ the bayway which is only a few miles off of the beach ~ two traffic lights and you're done! Have change for the toll plaza ($.75) unless you have a car with transponder.

Thanks for reminding me to have Quarters available. We don't have tolls in Michigan. We'll have a rental so not sure about the transponder thingy:confused:.

We're planning on St Pete's. Just looking at a map doesn't do justice. Especially when you've never been there.

We also have a garmin and internet phone with app's.

But I still prefer the regular old fashion map.

Just got off work and don't return till 11/7.

WOO HOO.

I am also planning a trip to this area. I have never been so I am only offering some things I have found during my search. I am hoping to stay at a small hotel in Pass a Grill Beach Coconut Inn It looks really nice. pretty reasonable. I think I would like that area. Check it out.

I am also planning a trip to this area. I have never been so I am only offering some things I have found during my search. I am hoping to stay at a small hotel in Pass a Grill Beach Coconut Inn It looks really nice. pretty reasonable. I think I would like that area. Check it out.

Pass-A-Grill is REALLY nice. Quaint, historic, really cool.

To the OP there are so many cool areas in the Clearwater/St.Pete Beach area, you'll have a hard time choosing.

Don't miss John's Pass. Spectacular views and oceanfront/waterfront dining.

I miss the beaches on the west coast!

Pass-a-grille Beach is at the very tip of St.Pete Beach. It is a small, laid-back beach community. Right down from your hotel, is the Hurricane restaurant and beach bar. They have a rooftop deck for the best sunsets around. http://www.thehurricane.com/ If you walk a block over to the bayside and down to the dock by historic 8th ave, there is a restaurant called The Sea Horse. Just another beachside restaurant, but very good food. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/30/344633/restaurant/Tampa-Bay/St-Pete-Beach-Treasure-Island/Sea-Horse-St-Pete-Beach There is also the Black Palm restaurant on 8th ave. It seems more upscale. I have never been but it looks nice when walking by.

If you walk down 8th ave., there are a few small boutiques and a little

beach bar, Shadracks. Nothing fancy by far, cheap drinks and bathing suits and sand..... always welcome. If you walk towards the bayside, there is the Pass-a-grille Marina that offers Dolphin Watch tours or just a ride around the beach... http://www.islandferry.biz/

Have a great time and watch out for the seagulls, they will steal food right out of your hands, even if you are eating deckside at a restaurant. They are beyond bold.

Have fun ! :)

Edited by CoquinaKeyNereid

Have a great time and watch out for the seagulls, they will steal food right out of your hands, even if you are eating deckside at a restaurant. They are beyond bold.

Have fun ! :)

OMG that is the truth. My husband has had more sandwiches and fried chicken snatched out of his hand.

They will also dig into your beachbag when you leave your chair and steal entire unopened bags of potato chips.

We have always stayed in Clearwater Beach at Barefoot Bay Resort and Marina, It is 2 blocks to the Pier that has nightly sunset entertainment. There is a Marina across the street, and we love Frenchy's restaurants and there are 4 within walking distance.

With that being said, we have been to Pass-a-Grill for dinner and another time just to hang out, and we really like the area, reminds me of a cross between Key West (but quite) and Cape Cod, and would like to spend a few nights there in the future.

Definitely check out Coconut Inn. Great location is Pass A Grille and Joe has done a great job restoring the property.

I see that another poster suggested the Hurricane for sunset which is great on the rooftop but don't limit yourself to the food there ~ it's not that good! Several great places further up St. Pete Beach (PAG is actually the south end of St. Pete Beach) but our better, newer restaurants are further up the beach either on Gulf Blvd. or Corey Ave. I saw Seahorse mentioned ~ breakfast spot for the locals ~ highly recommended.

We're planning on St Pete's. Just looking at a map doesn't do justice.

You won't be sorry to come to this end of the barrier island. If I can point you in the right direction for anything, please let me know. It will be an AWESOME weekend here & we're off on our boat which should be the place to be (except on a cruise.....) Enjoy!!

Thanks for all your post's and info. We're flying out Saturday. 3 hour drive to airport.

All packed and need to hit the hay.

Night all.

Did I mention it's like freezing cold and we have snow already. :eek:

OH YEAH. I'M READY TO GO.

Have winter coat in car for return trip:eek:.

As a FL native, who has vacationed on the Clearwater/St. Pete beaches for many years, I suggest the following:

The Sandpearl on Clearwater Beach...definitely a first class hotel, but a bit pricey.

For St. Pete Beach, we like the Guy Harvey Resort. Dolphin Resort also has great gulf view rooms with balconies, but the rooms are slightly dated. The Don Cesar on St. Pete Beach is also very nice.

In between the two beaches, is N. Redington Beach, which has a wonderful Doubletree Hotel.

All of these hotels are right on the beach with wonderful gulf front views.

Thanks for this info. This we will try. We have a freezer full of Salmon and 2 smokers. Yes, we like smoked fish. And I love, love german potato salad but Hubby doesn't so rarely make it anymore.

Thanks for the tip.

This is what I love about these boards. :p

You've been exceptionally helpful.

I love German Potato Salad as well and glad Aldi Grocery Stores is expanding in Florida so I can buy it there.

We've stayed in Treasure Island once and St. Pete Beach three times. I prefer St. Pete Beach -- the traffic doesn't seem as bad.

In St. Pete Beach, we've stayed twice at Guy Harveys. Pricey, but nice and relaxing. They do have an additional resort fee. We've also stayed at the Grand Plaza Resort (octagon-shaped building). It was nice as well.

The only disappointing food we've had in the area was at Crabby Bill's. We tried it twice and won't be back -- just wasn't for us.

This past year we did a sunset sail out of Dolphin Landings shopping plaza. It was very nice. We also enjoy John's Pass. We did a tour of Shell Island with Hubbard's Marina one year from there.

We've driven up to Clearwater a couple of times, but I just can't like it as much as many people do. There's just something so commercialized about it all -- more so than John's Pass to me in some weird way.

Enjoy your stay there. We'll be back in 2015 -- it's an every-other-year thing for us.