Generally speaking...

Maine Coon

De gustibus non est disputandum, it goes without saying.

But we enjoyed our two NCL cruises--on the much-maligned Dream, no less, in 2002 and 2005--more than our two 2004 cruises on Maasdam and Galaxy. Better food by far than Maasdam, and as good as Galaxy. Comparable service, and without the "here are your favorite berries tonight, Mr. Hotspur" fawning from your every-night dining room server. Ability to eat when, where, and with whom we desired. Category C cabin furniture in much better shape than our Sky Suite on Galaxy. Much more informative port descriptions. Less hard-sell from obnoxious shopping consultants. Comparable--at least--entertainment. Much superior disembarkation process.

In all, much more enjoyable experiences on NCL than the two so-called "premium" cruise lines--neither of which, by the way, cost any more per day than our NCL cruises.

In all, much more enjoyable experiences on NCL than the two so-called "premium" cruise lines--neither of which, by the way, cost any more per day than our NCL cruises.

Can you fill the details in for us. This is quite interesting. I thought

that NCL and Carnival were by far much cheaper than

HAL, Celebrity etc.

No need to apologize. This is criuise CRITIC!
You seem to point this out A LOT. Just because the site is called Cruise Critic doesn't mean you have to be critical about ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. You can critique something and it be a good thing too.

You seem to point this out A LOT. Just because the site is called Cruise Critic doesn't mean you have to be critical about ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. You can critique something and it be a good thing too.

I think your over-reacting, over-generalizing and getting defense again.

I've pointed this out

two or three times out of 100+ posts. The OP wasn't be critical

about *everything* nor was I. The ship is new and nice but there are

limitations. I suggest you take the advice of a previous poster

who noted that on other boards the moderators are more transparent

and don't get embroiled or take positions on discussion. Just advice that

I think will make the board better. I presume this post will get poofed,

but so be it.

I've pointed this out

but so be it.

Raria, of course you are entitled to your opinions. I don't think anyone really thinks otherwise. But I personally wish you would stop criticizing and complaining about the way the moderator moderates. She has to make judgement calls, and I think she tries very hard to be fair. I don't agree with her decisions sometimes, but oh well. Dem's da breaks. there's no pleasing everyone. I personally wouldn't want that job, it must sometimes be a pain in the butt dealing with all of us. :D

I guess I see it as with people moaning about the fact that NCL confiscates booze that people smuggle. Which is against their rules and plainly stated.

If someone is very unhappy with the way a board is run, then they should go to a board they feel comfortable with. If someone thinks it's petty of a cruiseline to enforce a clearly stated rule, then cruise with another line. As Shoreguy says so often (and so well ;)), it's all about choices.

You've gotta choose the boards/ships/cruiselines you feel a good fit with, instead of one you find yourself continually struggling against. Struggling is no fun. For you or for people who are NOT struggling and feel a good fit.

I hope you don't take offense at this. I don't mean any and I mean no disrespect. But this is how I feel.

I've pointed this out

but so be it.

If you're posting something that you yourself actually think will get the post poofed, then why bother posting it at all? Isn't it better to take a breath and find a better way to express it that won't be poof-worthy?

Can you fill the details in for us. This is quite interesting. I thought

that NCL and Carnival were by far much cheaper than

HAL, Celebrity etc.

Superior oceanview cabin on the Dream was about $100/day on both cruises, as was our comparable-category Maasdam cabin. Interestingly, our November Jewel of the Seas cruise, mid-priced oceanview, will also be $100/day. Galaxy's Sky Suite was about $150/day to the Canal, and our AB on an upcoming Majesty Bermuda cruise is about $5/day less.

Cruise prices are very dependent on itinerary, season, time-of-booking, and several other variables, so it's difficult to generalize. However, anyone who thinks Celebrity and HAL are superior to NCL will have a tough time convincing me. Stuffier, yes. Better, I don't think so.

Freestyle + pricing + itineraries have it's advantages.

I just wish waiters wouldn't forget what I ordered, some low-key personnel would not offend passengers while speaking their own language which I happened to understand, food was better etc. ( all from my own experience).

Thanks for the explanation. I haven't been unfortunate enough to experience what you have and hope your next cruise with NCL would more closely mirror my experiences.

-Monte

I suggest you take the advice of a previous poster

but so be it.

And I suggest you read the board guidelines.

Many of these Hosts contribute to the various discussions. They are free to contribute, or not contribute, as they see fit. Their opinions are their own. Cruise Critic does not regulate what the staff says about a location, cruise line, shore excursion or travel provider. If you have a problem with my being involved in discussions, you can take it up with the board administrator. Or maybe your butler could take care of it.

And I suggest you read the board guidelines.

Many of these Hosts contribute to the various discussions. They are free to contribute, or not contribute, as they see fit. Their opinions are their own. Cruise Critic does not regulate what the staff says about a location, cruise line, shore excursion or travel provider. If you have a problem with my being involved in discussions, you can take it up with the board administrator. Or maybe your butler could take care of it.

Now it all makes sense. No fair you are posting for two :) After the baby is born you won't have to wait in line on your next cruise. Take care of the both of you :)

Does the name Wal-Mart ring a bell? Everytime I go there I say "never again"..........then I see a special:D But then again I am not spending 7 to 10 days in the store.

Just got off RCI Voyager, really bad experience. Will I say "I will never sail RCI again"? No, not necessarily, but I know I will never sail their Voyager Class again, or anything bigger for that matter.

NCL has it`s faults, nothing major IMO. To say it "sucks" because of them, no. Would I say RCI "sucks" no, but my experience sure did.

Bottom line.........to make generalizations about an entire cruise line is counterproductive to your enjoyment of your cruising vacations. You will always be looking for something to go "wrong", real or imaginary.

What happened on the Voyager-- it must have really been bad..

PS I avoid Walmart like the plague that it is(IMO)....Tarjay is slightly more expensive but not as exploitive ....The Elder Sam had a buy american speel that died with him

Raria, once again you are way out of line with your comments. This time to our moderator. Everything you said to her was rude. I hope you read her response over carefully. I think she handled your comments in a very professional manner. You should apologize big time.

Raria, once again you are way out of line with your comments. This time to our moderator. Everything you said to her was rude. I hope you read her response over carefully. I think she handled your comments in a very professional manner. You should apologize big time.
It's OK Stanley. It's just ironic that the same people that get upset with me for having to remove one of their postings and say I'm infringing on their first amendment rights are the first people to tell me that I shouldn't have an opinion or be allowed to post. I sometimes have to remind people that I'm a member too just like they are. You can agree or disagre with me as much as you want. It has nothing to do with being the host. Most of the regulars here know that I can engage in a difference of opinions and not have the whole host thing thrown in my face.

Sorry for the topic straying so far off track. I'll give my opinion that I don't think NCL sucks. I do, however, agree with many of you that NCL could do some things better and they do other things very well.

We are all entitled to our opinions!

We should all be nice to one another!

We can disagree and still be civil and try to be nice!

Cecilia is entitled to her opinion and her opinion is valued!

She has told some of you that she moved some posts because she thought they fit someplace else better. She said she would move them back. She is doing her job and doing it well.

She is human, too.

I want the boards to be honest too. But by slamming Cecilia is not the way to do it.

Just disagree; you can you know, but be nice about it and don't single people out to pick on.

Please be nice!

Shoreguy has it right in comparing ship class not the lines: the older NCL ships, offer fair intineraries on a budget like the soon to go bye, bye Sea. this would be the same as the smaller, older RCI and Carnival ships, the newer NCL ships are every bit as nice as any line out there and offer the best in most cases. Of course this is a matter of opinion. Marvholly says none can compare with her first sailing in 1969. I don't go back that far, but certainly agree with her especially when it comes to food and dining room service. For raria to try and compare any line with another after only one cruise is at best totally unfounded and at worst rediculous. I can only classify the lines by my personal experience and that is just what I said, my personal experience and opinion

Target/probably no line if we are referring to the newer ships

Penny's/Carnival and Costa

Macy's, May Co/Foleys: depending on where you live: RCI, NCL and HAL

Norstrums and Needless Mark-ups/ Celebrity

I can not judge Princess as it is the one line I have never cruised and I won't make comparisons based on what others say. NMNita

They are Nordstroms and I belong there, I guess, but can not afford a lot of Nordstroms until they have sales; I guess if NCL does not fit the bill I will go back to them and cruise with special deals and off season; although I must tell you I only cruise when I think the price is right and always get a balcony!!!!

I personally think Raria should be banned for her rude remarks to the moderator, but then, who cares what I think?

I guess you are entitled to express your opinions here just like everyone else but I think banning should be reserved only for a few cases where repeated requests to respect the guidelines have been ignored. You may view raria's comments as rude but, if the moderator is allowed to voice her opinions as a member, then others should be allowed to disagree with her opinions. I agree that commenting on how she moderates trhe board is an off topic and against the rules comment.

Personally I dislike WalMart a lot. It is not just because of their policies which seem to drive the more service oriented independantly owned retail businesses out of business wherever a Walmart appears, but also because I just hate the shopping experience in the super large, we have everything but you have to walk miles and find it for yourself, and no one here can give you any info about the products cause no one knows or gets paid enough to care, stores.

Call me foolish but I still like the stores where they know something about the products and try to satisfy the customers needs.

Getting back to cruising, I had a very nice cruise with NCL on the Dawn and a great cruise on the Century. I had I would say better service on the Century but then I had a suite on the Century and an inside cabin on the Dawn, which cost a lot less, so it is not fair to make a straight comparison one to the other.

I didn't find Celebrity stuffy at all, on the other hand I didn't find NCL to be low class or anything like that. Overall I think I prefer traditional dining to free style but, I can make free style work and if the price and itinerary is to my liking I certainly wouldn't turn down a cruise just because it was free-style.

I do think that people on this board should be free to give thier honest opinions of different aspects of their cruise for example:

On the Century, people who were booked in suites ( maybe some other people too but not the whole ship) were invited, one afternoon to 'high tea' in the mani dining room. While a nice gesture this was a disappointing experience. Whoever was in charge of organizing this did not seem to have any idea about how to organie things. I have been to high tea in a few hotels over the years and this fell way short in comparision to other high teas I've been invited too.

On NCL the Chocolate Buffet that I heard so many people get excited about was very disappointing. ALthough more the fault of the passengers than of NCL itself, the mob scene outside the dining room doors made for a very unpleasant start and, once inside, the confections were spectacular in appearance but to me uniformly lacking in flavour and chocolaty richness.

I tried several different offerings, most of the ones I could fight my way to in the midst of all the pushing and jostling, and felt disinclined to finish any of them.

Once again, I do not mean to slam either line. Overall I enjoyed both cruises but I wish NCL would do something to make the chocolate buffet more appealing or else replace it with something else.

I also wish Celebrity would get someone who knows what high tea is supposed to be like, to train the waiters and offer a better 'tea' experience.

Neither of these things would stop me from cruising either of these lines again but I do,think they are worth mentioning first to make other potential cruisers aware of the situation, or at least my view of the situation.

quote.gif

I have a request (and that's all it is): can everybody stop comparing cruise lines/ships to department stores/chains? The comparisons really make no sense to me. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who doesn't really understand them.

I have a request (and that's all it is): can everybody stop comparing cruise lines/ships to department stores/chains? The comparisons really make no sense to me. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who doesn't really understand them.

THANK YOU!

-Monte

I have a request (and that's all it is): can everybody stop comparing cruise lines/ships to department stores/chains? The comparisons really make no sense to me.

Agree. Makes about as much sense as fretting over that apotheosis of stuffy silliness: high tea.

Archived