Generally speaking...

Maine Coon

I think comparing a cruise line to stores or hotels is a great comparison, but then again I am a woman and shop and I make our hotel ressies!

I would be bored if all people did was complement NCL and I would also be suspicious too!

OK, but if I agree with you about cruise lines but disagree about stores/hotels,,,,then I haven't a clue what you're saying. And I don't know at all what this has to do with complementing (or insulting NCL)

-Monte

I would be bored if all people did was complement NCL and I would also be suspicious too!

I don't expect everybody to complement NCL. I just want to understand the criticism and/or praise when it's posted.

I have a request (and that's all it is): can everybody stop comparing cruise lines/ships to department stores/chains? The comparisons really make no sense to me. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who doesn't really understand them.
I don't get them either. Donna mentions Nordstroms being a high end store to her but to me, Nordstroms isn't a really high end store. Here in Colorado our high end stores are Dillards, Lord & Taylor, and Saks 5th Avenue. So comparing a cruise line to Nordstroms makes me think it's a lower end cruise line. How about comparing steak restaurants on ships to the Outback? I've never eaten at an Outback. I have eaten at a Black Angus and Morton's. Where does Outback fall between those two? So while some people may think comparing apples to oranges gets the point across...I don't see it. I'd rather hear about the specifics of service. the specifics of taste, etc. and then I can better understand the experience. Maybe that's just me....

You know after reading all this thread I am still not sure why the original poster said NCL sucks. I always like to know why people say something sucks. BTW if it was the servers spoke to themselves in their own language, US law prohibits an employer from telling employees that they can't communicate in their own language. It may be rude, but there is little the employer can do about it. Of course if the employee said something inapproprite in that language that's another issue. When someone says something sucks, I always like to know what they didn't like. Was it the food the service etc. "sucks" is a conclusion I like to know the basis. As for the comparisons to department stores that too is subjective, and may also depend on the local store. There is a significant difference between Macy's Herald Square and a small Macy's in New Jersey...I always think someone should explain something like "sucks" not from comparing it to Macy's or Gimbels or Nordstroms(which are much more uniform BTW) but what happened that makes them feel that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but its like describing a cup that is half full or is it half empty...

ps I thought they were renaming the Dillards Macys too....

Originally posted by hotspur:

Agree. Makes about as much sense as fretting over that apotheosis of stuffy silliness: high tea.

Apotheosis huh? That's a cool word. I'll have to try to drop it into the conversation at the next stuffy high tea I attend. That should wow them:D

Apotheosis huh? That's a cool word. I'll have to try to drop it into the conversation at the next stuffy high tea I attend. That should wow them:D
I had to look that one up...learn something new everyday. :)

NCL Spirt to Alaska was a great cruise for myself and others with us. Last day at sea water was rough but this was not NCL's fault.

Disney was a great cruise also...if you like a cruise without many children stay away from Disney.

Princess was great. I like the relaxed dress on NCL but that does not mean I think Princess "sucks".

Now here is the heartland of the United States the farm animals young all suck....but cruising to all of us is a pleasure we feel lucking to take part in on any ship.

You've gotta choose the boards/ships/cruiselines you feel a good fit with, instead of one you find yourself continually struggling against. Struggling is no fun. For you or for people who are NOT struggling and feel a good fit.

Very well said! BRAVO!

I have a request (and that's all it is): can everybody stop comparing cruise lines/ships to department stores/chains? The comparisons really make no sense to me. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who doesn't really understand them.

Another post that makes sence. I Have NEVER understood the correlation.

Just based on reading others experiences, some lines do things one ways, others do it another way, and that's their focus, that's their product, and they look for feedback.

I look to try them all, and while doing such, I enjoy each and every one of them.

But I refuse to relate them to shopping, a shopping experience, their philosophy, or the building itself. I just don't get it.

Maybe we can compare them to cars - chevy, ford, bmw. Now that would make about as much sense :D

That is because you are a man;)

I agree, but I am hoping that this comparison helps raria somewhat.

IMO, I think it is best to compare "experiences" when you sail on different ships.

YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES, not others.

For example, if I based my first experience sailing on NCL, I would not have ever sailed them again. That would have been a shame.

Seward........lost luggage.......teeny cabin (like sleeping in a formica covered galley kitchen).......group of kids running and screaming at all hours of day and night, nothing done about it........was excited about dining in the new Bistro, closed because of lack of participation, not told beforehand.....food so-so.......some sort of banging heard day and night in cabin (very loud)........ship vibrated something awful..........small ship, big storm at sea:eek: ......missed port, no compensation........there is probably more but it was a long time ago.

The point is, I did give NCL another chance and I am sure glad I did. Try to look at the positives of your cruising experiences and on this cruise there were positives, it wasn`t traumatized, cruise wasn`t ruined.

Happy sailing everyone:D

For example, if I based my first experience sailing on NCL, I would not have ever sailed them again. That would have been a shame...

The point is, I did give NCL another chance and I am sure glad I did. Try to look at the positives of your cruising experiences and on this cruise there were positives, it wasn`t traumatized, cruise wasn`t ruined.

Very well said.

Put 1500-3000 passengers on a ship for seven to fourteen days, and a few of 'em are going to have "stuff" happen to them: a tough steak, a long line, a canceled or oversubscribed "enrichment" event, a distracted waiter or cabin steward who's just been given upsetting news from home, soggy pizza, a churning sea, etc., etc. Sometimes I get a sense that a few go on a cruise looking to play the role of Craig Claiborne (one-time NY Times food critic) and go out of their way to find faults so they can proudly report them here--especially when cruising a line other than their personal favorite(s).

Greenie also gave us a valuable insight: "You've gotta choose the boards/ships/cruiselines you feel a good fit with, instead of one you find yourself continually struggling against." That describes Celebrity and me. I find them to be the height of pretentiousness. "High tea"--and then only for a chosen few (and, yes, we were invited and made the mistake of attending, so this is not "sour grapes")--is just one example. Another is their dictum that you must remain in your formal attire throughout the evening. For what? Formal karaoke? When someone or something tries to be something it's not, to me it's just a big turn-off, and I'd prefer to avoid it.

Another post that makes sence. I Have NEVER understood the correlation.

Just based on reading others experiences, some lines do things one ways, others do it another way, and that's their focus, that's their product, and they look for feedback.

I look to try them all, and while doing such, I enjoy each and every one of them.

But I refuse to relate them to shopping, a shopping experience, their philosophy, or the building itself. I just don't get it.

I may agree with John in Theory, but comparing lines to hotel chains, restaurants, etc is the only way some can begin to understand the difference between lines, ships or whatever. NMNita.

I may agree with John in Theory, but comparing lines to hotel chains, restaurants, etc is the only way some can begin to understand the difference between lines, ships or whatever. NMNita.

I guess I don't understand why ANY comparison is necessary. If you like certain aspects of a cruise, just describe them directly. If you didn't like certain aspects of a cruise, tell us about them, too. If you're comparing two ships, just say, for instance, "The cabins on Ship A were larger (200 sq ft) vs Ship B (160 sq ft)." Or, "I felt the buffets on Ship A were worse than Ship B because the selection was more limited." The same could be done for comparing lines, altho I myself don't think it's fair to compare entire lines.

Wouldn't that be a whole lot easier to understand? Making allusions to stores are problematic because not everyone has been to all of the stores. I myself have never set foot in a Walmart, for example. And it also assumes that most people have the same opinions of these stores (a huge assumption, IMO). Besides, as smeyer pointed out, different branches of chains can vary greatly. The Macy's in Flushing, Queens, pales in comparison to the Macy's in Herald Square, Manhattan.

Obviously, people can post their experiences in whatever way they see fit. But, to me, it seems less worthwhile if a portion of the audience is left scratching their heads.

That is because you are a man;)

Happy sailing everyone:D

With Respect--- sexist remark....I'll compare shopping with anyone...and I am a man....

remember I worked in retail.... as were most of the giants in retailing.....name one woman...also a sexist remark...

:)

With Respect--- sexist remark....I'll compare shopping with anyone...and I am a man....

remember I worked in retail.... as were most of the giants in retailing.....name one woman...also a sexist remark...

:)

Martha Stewart........didn`t start a store chain but sure as heck saved one:p :D

Wasn`t referring to you, just men in general....Sid we all know that you are one man in a million:rolleyes:

I guess I don't understand why ANY comparison is necessary. If you like certain aspects of a cruise, just describe them directly. If you didn't like certain aspects of a cruise, tell us about them, too. If you're comparing two ships, just say, for instance, "The cabins on Ship A were larger (200 sq ft) vs Ship B (160 sq ft)." Or, "I felt the buffets on Ship A were worse than Ship B because the selection was more limited." The same could be done for comparing lines, altho I myself don't think it's fair to compare entire lines.

Wouldn't that be a whole lot easier to understand? Making allusions to stores are problematic because not everyone has been to all of the stores. I myself have never set foot in a Walmart, for example. And it also assumes that most people have the same opinions of these stores (a huge assumption, IMO). Besides, as smeyer pointed out, different branches of chains can vary greatly. The Macy's in Flushing, Queens, pales in comparison to the Macy's in Herald Square, Manhattan.

Obviously, people can post their experiences in whatever way they see fit. But, to me, it seems less worthwhile if a portion of the audience is left scratching their heads.

John, as I said earlier, I agree with you in theory, I was just giving a generalization. Same as comparing lines, of course you can't as they all offer something different and what appeals to one person would not to another. I am one of the first that gripes when people try to compare them without considering catagory in each case, distination, price, etc, that's why I said you have to look at the entire picture. Of course chains of stores, restaurants, air lines, etc are going to vary. My favorite all around dept store in Dallas was Foley's, I don't like Foley's in Alb. Just my humble opinion. LOL

NCL: Target

Carnival: Salvation Army

Celebrity: Macy's

RCCL: K-Mart

And that's all I have to say about that, because those are the only lines I've cruised~;) My experience with NCL was wonderful, and I love Target!!!

Oy vey.

NCL: Target

Carnival: Salvation Army

Celebrity: Macy's

RCCL: K-Mart

QUOTE]

If this is the direction we're going how about fast food:

Carnival = White Castle

NCL = McDonalds

RCCL = Burger King

HAL = Dairy Queen

But hey, I don't think these make any sense either