Earliest luggage drop off for Breakaway?

MarlboroBell

I'm trying to figure out my options for the Breakaway, and one question I have is 'how early can I drop off luggage'. I'm wondering about the concept of driving up, dropping off the luggage around 9am, then going to park the car somewhere cheaper and return to the terminal around 10. Is that going to work? Does that get horribly in the way of all the arriving passengers?

we got to the port at 9:20 and had no problems dropping off the luggage. It's very busy, so be prepared to drop quickly. Not sure you're going to find cheaper parking than the port though - between bringing the car elsewhere and having to get transportation to the port from the garage and the port back to the garage at the end of the cruise, especially with all the luggage you'll have at the end, you may be better off just parking at the pier. Easy to get in and out.

we got to the port at 9:20 and had no problems dropping off the luggage. It's very busy, so be prepared to drop quickly. Not sure you're going to find cheaper parking than the port though - between bringing the car elsewhere and having to get transportation to the port from the garage and the port back to the garage at the end of the cruise, especially with all the luggage you'll have at the end, you may be better off just parking at the pier. Easy to get in and out.

We will be cruising NCL for the first time in March on the Breakaway. I will be driving from Maryland to the cruise terminal. It doesn't appear to be "easy to get in and out" from the directions I've been finding. Can anyone elaborate about how easy it is to get to the parking garage at the cruise terminal when driving from the south?

Hi,

we have gone out of the Manhattan terminal about a dozen times now. Look for the signs directing you to the parking, go up the ramp, last week they had someone at the top of the ramp taking payment (if you have to use the kiosk you need to turn aroun din one lot and leave to get to your loat), following his directions, pull into the lot, turn in your ticket, stop and pop your trunk, let the marshall and dog inspect your car, pull forward, drop off passengers and luggage, park, walk back to your party, take the elevator or stairs down, give a porter your checked luggage, go to sercuity.

Takes longer to write it than to do it.

have fun!

Link to MCT info - direct info as they provided http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/

Scroll down to the bottom left - look under Direction & select By Car. It's very easy - signage is very good on 12th Avenue a/k/a "old" West Side Hwy once you exit the Lincoln Tunnel to go left on 42nd. & right by the Hudson River onto 12th Avenue for 13 city blocks, keep left for the entrance. If traffic on an issue on Sun. 3/30 - unlikely & Lincoln Tunnel is usually better than Holland Tunnel in the morning, you can exit the NJ Turnpike at Exit 14 for the Holland Tunnel, then go "uptown" from West Street/12th Avenue to the pier.

AM radio 1010 news or 880 news (easily picked up its strong signal down in DE before getting on NJTP at Exit 1 (1 hour 45 minutes typical travel time to LT or HT) with traffic updated on the 1's or 8's every 10 minutes. Major jams, bottlenecks, weekend closures & construction detours, etc. will be announced.

If you are still not sure, Google Map to do NAV and switch to Street View from Lincoln T's midtown exit from 39th Street toward 42nd. Street, westbound on 42 & right on 12th Ave and you have a virtual view of driving to the Pier.

Thanks for the responses. I've never driven in NYC so I am a little hesitant to go in unprepared (not knowing where I'm going).:o

If you come from the South thru the Lincoln Tunnel, you will be doing very little driving in New York City.....when you exit the tunnel (try to use center tube, or at least the left lane in the south tube), you will bear to the left onto Dyer Avenue. The first traffic light is 40th Street, the next is 41st street, and then 42nd street. You will turn left onto westbound 42nd street, cross 10th, and then 11th avenues, then turn right onto northbound 12th avenue (aka route 9A, and later, West Side Highway). You should keep to left lane and then follow signs to cruise ship terminal. You will be making a left turn to the terminal access roadway across 12th avenue, and be heading southbound. Watch for signs directing you up the ramp for either the parking deck, or the passenger/luggage drop off.

NCL uses the southmost pier, Pier 88.

If you come from the South thru the Lincoln Tunnel, you will be doing very little driving in New York City.....when you exit the tunnel (try to use center tube, or at least the left lane in the south tube), you will bear to the left onto Dyer Avenue. The first traffic light is 40th Street, the next is 41st street, and then 42nd street. You will turn left onto westbound 42nd street, cross 10th, and then 11th avenues, then turn right onto northbound 12th avenue (aka route 9A, and later, West Side Highway). You should keep to left lane and then follow signs to cruise ship terminal. You will be making a left turn to the terminal access roadway across 12th avenue, and be heading southbound. Watch for signs directing you up the ramp for either the parking deck, or the passenger/luggage drop off.

NCL uses the southmost pier, Pier 88.

Thanks for the directions. Just what I needed.

Archived