Great Lakes Airlines

tgmtgm

Any experiences out there? I've booked a United flight for next April (VIS-LAX-IAH-FLL) with Great Lakes providing the first leg on a Beechcraft 1900 :eek:. Will this be one of those flights where the flight crew asks each passenger's weight upon boarding? And no, I am not a passenger of size, so no problem discussing as much. I've already ascertained that there is no flight attendant onboard, so I'm assuming the pilot has to settle the passengers in?

The price of the flight was excellent ($179 all in) and the convenience of a short drive to the airport can't be beat. My biggest concern is the minuscule size of the aircraft, and how "interactive" the flight will be.

p.s.- taking above mentioned flight to board the Celebrity Equinox's transatlantic sailing April 14th.

You will not be weighed before getting on a GLA flight. Most airlines have a standard weight for all passengers (depending on winter or summer). There is not a FA on their B1900 but they do have a FA on their EMB120 aircraft. When flying on a GLA flight without a FA the first officer will go over the safety and other briefings. They will also play a pre-recorded safety briefing. Enjoy your trip!

Just curious why it matters how "interactive" the flight might be? It's short, and as you said it was affordable and convenient...aren't those more important than any interactivity?

The plane is small, but it's safe. I've been on several B1900 flights, both domestically and abroad, and never have been weighed. It's still a 19 seat plane, so not excessively tiny by any means (at least to me...I learned to fly on a 2-seater).

And you don't have to decide between an aisle or a window.

1900s are a solid turboprop commuter. Be sure to use the facilities in the terminal before boarding.

I know that Great Lakes B1900s don't have lavs, but I flew an Air New Zealand B1900 from Blenheim to Auckland...WAY too long on a B1900 (like 1.5 hours), but they do have a lav. Of course, after several pre-flight glasses of wine at the wineries around Blenheim, I found the need for the facilities. Oh man...that was the single smallest lav I have ever seen in my life - in the air, on the ground, or on the seas. It made a porta-potty look like a mansion, size wise.

Thanks everyone for the reassuring feedback.

What I mean by interactive flight is alluding to turbulence. I just thought given the size of the aircraft, it would be amplified quite a bit. Since some of you have first hand experience flying on this model Beechcraft, I'm more at ease now. ;)

Tony

Thanks everyone for the reassuring feedback.

What I mean by interactive flight is alluding to turbulence. I just thought given the size of the aircraft, it would be amplified quite a bit. Since some of you have first hand experience flying on this model Beechcraft, I'm more at ease now. ;)

Tony

Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. It may be a bit more turbulent, especially if you run in the wake of a bigger plane, but it's not a safety issue.

The price of the flight was excellent ($179 all in) and the convenience of a short drive to the airport can't be beat.

Is that price for 1 or 2 people? Also is it refundable??

Reason I ask is that I'm finding more options from Fresno at $150pp non-refundable. Not much further to drive. If your price is for 2, then it's good.

Reason I ask is that I'm finding more options from Fresno at $150pp non-refundable. Not much further to drive. If your price is for 2, then it's good.

There's no way that price is for 2x people, and there is no way it's refundable (ie - full fare)

There's no way that price is for 2x people, and there is no way it's refundable (ie - full fare)

You're prob right... Since he was going on a TA, I just looked at one-way fares. For 1-way I found VIS-LAX roughly $170 refundable, $80 non-refundable. That's why I asked.

It's for 1 passenger, and of course non refundable. Not sure where you found options from Fresno for $150. The cheapest option I could find (searching today) leaving Fresno on 4/13/14 is $296- and that involves a red eye.

It's for 1 passenger, and of course non refundable. Not sure where you found options from Fresno for $150. The cheapest option I could find (searching today) leaving Fresno on 4/13/14 is $296- and that involves a red eye.

OK - Just brings up more questions..... Is your airfare from VIS to LAX, or VIS to FLL. Also - is it one-way, or return. Both make a big difference.

OK - Just brings up more questions..... Is your airfare from VIS to LAX, or VIS to FLL. Also - is it one-way, or return. Both make a big difference.

One way search, FAT-FLL, 4/13/14, one passenger. The VIS option comes up via the nearby airport feature. I live 45 minutes from Fresno, 20 from Visalia.

I booked my return flight from Malaga, Spain to Fresno on 4/30 using AA miles on Air Berlin.

One way search, FAT-FLL, 4/13/14, one passenger. The VIS option comes up via the nearby airport feature. I live 45 minutes from Fresno, 20 from Visalia.

I booked my return flight from Malaga, Spain to Fresno on 4/30 using AA miles on Air Berlin.

OK... Got it now. Thanks for the explanation. You got a great price !!

Personally, I have some reservations about flying the B190 when going on a cruise... But since your fare in non-refundable, my thoughts don't matter.

Have a GREAT time !!

Archived