Pacific Pearl - outside, balcony or mini suite?

We currently have an obscured view cabin booked as this it what we could afford at the time of booking. We now have the opportunity to upgrade to a balcony (extra $600each) or a mini suite (extra $800each). Having never cruised before and knowing over half our trip is sea days we may be able to stretch to upgrade but is it worth the extra money in your opinions? I am a social creature but hubby is more introvert... What to do? What to do?

We currently have an obscured view cabin booked as this it what we could afford at the time of booking. We now have the opportunity to upgrade to a balcony (extra $600each) or a mini suite (extra $800each). Having never cruised before and knowing over half our trip is sea days we may be able to stretch to upgrade but is it worth the extra money in your opinions? I am a social creature but hubby is more introvert... What to do? What to do?

to me its not really worth the extra money and what you save can go on your bar bill, you are not in your cabin much, only to sleep

if you do decide to take the mini suite get one on the port side as you should not get the noise from deck 12 as its the smoking side

to me its not really worth the extra money and what you save can go on your bar bill, you are not in your cabin much, only to sleep

if you do decide to take the mini suite get one on the port side as you should not get the noise from deck 12 as its the smoking side

Thanks rkmv, are the cabins well air conditioned? Hubby is concerned about fresh air lol. I have laugh cause I know I will be on deck most of the time.

Thanks rkmv, are the cabins well air conditioned? Hubby is concerned about fresh air lol. I have laugh cause I know I will be on deck most of the time.

you can turn the air cond up or down to suit yourself and they dont like the balcony door left open as it affects the air cond

you can turn the air cond up or down to suit yourself and they dont like the balcony door left open as it affects the air cond

Ahh ok, that makes sense. I have this wee picture in my head of enjoying an early morning coffee with my book, on the balcony :-)

We have just returned from a cruise where we had a balcony for the very first time. The only reason we took it was because the additional cost was "reasonable" -- only $300 pp extra over the cost for an inside cabin for an 11 day cruise. Some cruises I have seen enormous additional cost - reaching to several thousands of Dollars extra per cabin.

There is no doubt that the balcony was nice -- but was it worth an extra $600 for the two of us -- probably not. :( It certainly would not have been worth any more to me!!

We have just returned from a cruise where we had a balcony for the very first time. The only reason we took it was because the additional cost was "reasonable" -- only $300 pp extra over the cost for an inside cabin for an 11 day cruise. Some cruises I have seen enormous additional cost - reaching to several thousands of Dollars extra per cabin.

There is no doubt that the balcony was nice -- but was it worth an extra $600 for the two of us -- probably not. :( It certainly would not have been worth any more to me!!

Thanks Bazzaw, that was really useful. I really am in two minds about it.

We have only ever had an inside room. Does not bother me too much but my husband hates being in inside room. No natural light and no place to get away from everyone and sit and enjoy the sea.

We have booked a balcony for our next cruise.

Some people say that by saving money on not getting a balcony you are loosing a lot of the experience but it's all a personal thing.

I'm really looking forward to having a balcony and seeing how the other half live.

Room service on the balcony will be nice, as will a late night drink when my son is in bed.

If you husband is an introvert I would go for the balcony. I love sitting there and just looking out at the sea or reading or enjoying a wine before dinner. There is always something to do on a ship but there is also down time where you need your own space and having a balcony is perfect for us introverts :)

Yes -- it is definitely a matter of "different horses for different courses" :)

One thing I have noticed though (as one who cruises primarily to see the World and the ports) is that many people are not willing to part with their money to see the ports using ship shore tours. Over our last 14 cruises, we have done both ships shore tours, privately organised shore tours and DIY. The privately organised tours have been the best -- BUT they can be a bit "stressful", the DIY "just walk around the port" have mostly been a waste of time - and we have enjoyed most of the ship shore tours (especially those in significant ports as in Europe). So, for me it makes more sense to put up with an inside (after all, we basically really only just sleep there) and put money into seeing the ports .

Barry

Some people do not cruise if they cannot get a balcony, we rarely get them. Had two balcony cabins in 15 cruises. Coral Princess - Panama Canal and Celebrity Solstice, Aust/NZ. Not much of a mark up on each of those, well no mark up on Solstice..'free upgrade.' We have splashed out on a balcony cabin on Golden Princess next year, 31 days, BA to LA. That was an extra $750 each, not bad.

Archived