Advice using iphone

Cruiser-66

I just got a new iphone. We will be cruising soon, so I have a few questions. I know once the ship sets sail I need to turn it off. While we are still in port can I use my phone to talk and text? What about taking pictures and forwarding them to family and friends back home? We will be sailing out of New Orleans. We will also have two teens with that have iphones, so we need to know!

I just got a new iphone. We will be cruising soon, so I have a few questions. I know once the ship sets sail I need to turn it off. While we are still in port can I use my phone to talk and text? What about taking pictures and forwarding them to family and friends back home? We will be sailing out of New Orleans. We will also have two teens with that have iphones, so we need to know!

I use my smartphone on the ship while still at the port of embarkation without any unusual fees (Verizon). I talk, text with pictures, use the Internet, etc. without problems. Once the ship sets sail, I take the battery out of the phone and lock it in the safe in the cabin. Some people say that they use their smartphones in airplane mode during the cruise to take pictures and listen to mp3s, but I haven't tried that. I prefer to ensure not risking a huge cell phone bill upon return home by removing the battery. Smartphones can have data running in the background without you being aware so removing the battery prevents any surprise charges.

Yep, be VERY careful. (Especially the kids!) I too, have had no problems while in port, before sailing, but I too, turned the phone completely off, and put it in the safe for the duration. My wife, however, is on a Med Cruise, and has already (4 days) racked up a bill from Carnival of $158.00, but hasn't sent a single message, or text, or made a single phone call. :eek: I think she got it straightened out with IT aboard ship. (Sure hope so!) In any case, please be very careful! ;)

"SKY"

Does the alarm still work in airplane mode? Thx

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

It did on our last cruise with my iPhone 4.

OP.... I put it on airplane mode and used it for music the whole cruise...no issues at all and no big bill

Does the alarm still work in airplane mode? Thx

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

Yes, we used the alarm in airplane mode. I also listened to music with music I had installed. All fine.

Also since out of New Orleans you can use phone itself as long as on Mississippi. The trip is about 8 hours down the River.

I agree with cellular data off and airplane mode on. Worked for us to the Bahamas last December. The alarm worked fine. I have even used my phone after the ship sailed. As long as my screen said AT&T I knew I was safe. Leaving from Port Canaveral, you hit land cell towers for about 2 hours after sailing. Leaving from NO would be about the same.

I agree with cellular data off and airplane mode on. Worked for us to the Bahamas last December. The alarm worked fine. I have even used my phone after the ship sailed. As long as my screen said AT&T I knew I was safe. Leaving from Port Canaveral, you hit land cell towers for about 2 hours after sailing. Leaving from NO would be about the same.[quote

I have done this too. I also go to settings and in mail & contacts I put Fetch new data to off. I used my phone for pictures, videos and games. Never paid any extra charges. If you are on AT&T you can get a text package- 50 texts for around $10.00 I believe. I sent pictures etc to multiple people all in one message.

Everything still works in airplane mode (ie. games, alarms, etc.), you just are not connected to the internet (ie. so you can't use your Candy Crush lives from friends! LOL).

When sailing from/into NOLA: With an iPhone, when you go out of area, you will see a little bar at the top that starts to scroll "Cellular at Sea." This usually happens around 7-8 PM when sailing out of NOLA. At that time, I turn my to airplane mode. When sailing back in, I usually turn mine back on around midnight or so. You will be in a dead area for the most part, so I have never had any charges come through. Then, when you hit your service area, your texts, emails, voicemails, etc. will come through. Turn it on silent if you don't want to have the dinging wake you up (if you choose to do this). Depending upon which ship you are on, and how fast they are going, this can happen anytime between midnight and 3 AM.

HI all!

Another suggestion is to put it on airplane mode now & see what you can do. I leave mine on airplane mode & use it as a timer, camera & to play solitaire. I'm going to turn off cellular data next time too & just use wifi from the package I'll purchase or at a port.

~ Jo ~ :)

Like everyone else said, airplane mode.

As for the teens, I'd lock their phone in your safe. It's too easy for them to turn off airplane mode for "just one text" that will end up costing $500.

At&t is a local call while in any US territory, e.g.; San Juan or St. Thomas. We had to have international roaming added to our i-phones just in case there was an emergency and we needed to make a call to the states. I was told by an At&t international representative that a single text incoming or outgoing is 50 cents per text and $1.50 per minute for phone calls. We are definitely turning off cellular data and turning on Airplane mode while on our cruise as well as locking our kids phones in the safe.

I always turn mine on airplane mode. I have a couple free apps that I can call over WiFi so when I port I go to a place with free WiFi and call or text home. I have done this in Nassau, Freeport, Grand Turk, Roatan, Belize, Mexico, and Canada. It always works in airplane mode. FYI I have AT$&T and had to call home from sea for an emergency it cost 2.99 a minute. It is actually cheaper to use the ship phone at 1.99 a minute..and as apps check out Magic Jack

I have had an iPhone since they first came out and have cruised extensively since then. Given that I need to be accessible by phone in case of a family emergency, I always keep it on and have had zero roaming or data usage charges. The key is to make sure that you have data roaming turned off. If you do, you shouldn't have any problems. We also tend to text to check in with family as it's the most affordable way of doing so, about 50 cents per message while at sea.

I have verizon iPhone 4... I turn data roaming off.. Text is .50 to send and .05 to receive... If you find wifi in ports you can do emails from there.. I do not answer or make phone calls so don't know fees on that.. I have seen stories of people with I phones that when they turn off and then turn back on data roaming turns back on.. And get charged a bunch of fees so be careful...I make sure mine is charged and don't turn it off... If you want to have it on for port wifi or texting that worked for me.. If you just want to use it for pics and music just turn it on airplane mode..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As others have said....I have been on a couple of cruises since having an iPhone and I usually keep it on airplane mode. I have used my iPhone extensively on cruises for photos and music listening. I had arranged with my children at home that I would check for texts (50 cents out and 5 cent in with verizon) so occasionally I would switch off airplane mode and see if anything came in. NEVER have I had one of those big bills.....either before iPhone or with iPhone.

Archived