Specialty coffee on HAL?

sackman

I haven't been on a HAL cruise for several years. On Princess, they have a specialty coffee shop and will sell you a punch card good for 10 coffees. Does HAL offer something similar?
HAL has the Explorations Cafes with specialty coffees but the punch card system is long gone. You can buy a general beverage card to cover all non-free drinks, but since it's no bargain we don't bother.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1913463

Edited by jtl513

HAL got rid of the punch coffee cards a long time ago.

HAL does have Beverage Cards that you buy -- no savings -- but using the cards means that you have less sales slips to keep track of at the end of the cruise. You do get a receipt each time you order something -- coffees, cocktails, etc. showing what you have left on the card. They also take the 15% gratuity off the card as well. Each time we get a new receipt, I just throw away the old one.

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $100 (No Discount)

$250 Beverage Card cost $250 (No Discount)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The ships have now changed from giving you a can to just about 6 ounces of fountain soda.

Your soda card is charged $1.50 + 15% gratuity ($0.23) for a total of $1.73 for each “glass” of soda.

Without a soda card, you can buy a “can” of soda for $1.95 + 15% gratuity ($0.30) for a total of $2.25 per can.

Explorations Café Coffees and Teas

HOT

Espresso

Single - $1.20; Double - $1.70

Americano

12 oz - $1.60; 16 oz - $2.10

Caffe Latte

12 oz - $2.10; 16 oz - $2.60

Cappuccino

Caffe Mocha

12 oz - $2.35; 16 oz - $2.85

Caramello Latte

12 oz - $2.55; 16 oz - $3.05

Hot Chocolate

Tazo Chai Tea Latte

12 oz - $1.85; 16 oz - $2.00

Tazo Premium Hot Teas

12 oz - $1.60 (no 16 oz listed)

Daily Special

12 oz - $3.95; 16 oz $4.45

Extra Shot of Espresso - $0.45

Natural Flavor Syrups - $0.50

COLD

Iced Americano

Iced Caffe Latte

Iced Caffe Mocha

Classic Latte Creamice

Cioccolato Creamice

Caramello Creamice

Tazo Iced Chai Latte

Daily Special

12 oz - $3.95; 16 0z - $4.45

Specialty Waters and Sodas -- $2.75

A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your bar and beverage purchases

Just a small thing but if your picky about your coffee it might pay to find a decent coffee shop in ports instead. I found they heated the milk too high and scorched the coffee. But then I used to be a Barista so i'm a bit fussy :p

I'm not terribly picky. My wife, on the other hand...

I suggest that you try the coffee at Explorations Cafe before buying a beverage card. We found the coffee to be only marginally better than that served free elsewhere on the Noordam. As Lovely other (great handle!) suggests, look for decent coffee shops in ports.

Explorations Café Coffees and Teas

HOT

Espresso

Single - $1.20; Double - $1.70

Americano

Caffe Latte

Cappuccino

Caffe Mocha

Caramello Latte

Hot Chocolate

Tazo Chai Tea Latte

Tazo Premium Hot Teas

12 oz - $1.60 (no 16 oz listed)

Daily Special

12 oz - $3.95; 16 oz $4.45

Extra Shot of Espresso - $0.45

Natural Flavor Syrups - $0.50

COLD

Iced Americano

Iced Caffe Latte

Iced Caffe Mocha

Classic Latte Creamice

Cioccolato Creamice

Caramello Creamice

Tazo Iced Chai Latte

Daily Special

12 oz - $3.95; 16 0z - $4.45

Specialty Waters and Sodas -- $2.75

A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your bar and beverage purchases

Thank you for posting this coffee/tea list!

Darjeeling (Donna)

Just a small thing but if your picky about your coffee it might pay to find a decent coffee shop in ports instead. I found they heated the milk too high and scorched the coffee. But then I used to be a Barista so i'm a bit fussy :p

I suggest that you try the coffee at Explorations Cafe before buying a beverage card. We found the coffee to be only marginally better than that served free elsewhere on the Noordam. As Lovely other (great handle!) suggests, look for decent coffee shops in ports.

I've found the people working at the Explorations Cafe very willing to work with me to find the brew/mix that I enjoy. Once we get it figured out there's no problem replicating it :) And I am fussy about my coffee ;)

Only thing that disappointed me on the Oosterdam was the coffee - it was horrible. Definitely go to coffee shops when in port to get your fix!

The Batista's at Explorations cafe are a delight however I don't think the coffee they have to work with is good at all....

Can you get a cup of just hot milk anywhere on the ship? I'm real picky about my hot chocolate and travel with my favorite brand of cocoa, but I need a mug of hot milk to mix it. Will I have to pay for this?

You can ask at Explorations Café. I can't think of any other place on the ship that has hot milk. I don't know if there will be a charge or not.

You could ask in the Lido, but I think that's a long-shot, especially as compared to Explorations.

A Cafe Mocha from the Explorations Cafe has become a part of my daily routine when onboard. About 10am, it really hits the spot - and I find it's done every bit as well as at my local Starbucks. Just thinking about it makes me want to get on a ship, ASAP!

Edited by GmaPajama

• 4 weeks later...
HAL got rid of the punch coffee cards a long time ago.

HAL does have Beverage Cards that you buy -- no savings -- but using the cards means that you have less sales slips to keep track of at the end of the cruise. You do get a receipt each time you order something -- coffees, cocktails, etc. showing what you have left on the card. They also take the 15% gratuity off the card as well. Each time we get a new receipt, I just throw away the old one.

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $100 (No Discount)

$250 Beverage Card cost $250 (No Discount)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The ships have now changed from giving you a can to just about 6 ounces of fountain soda.

Your soda card is charged $1.50 + 15% gratuity ($0.23) for a total of $1.73 for each “glass” of soda.

Without a soda card, you can buy a “can” of soda for $1.95 + 15% gratuity ($0.30) for a total of $2.25 per can.

thanks for the info - we are considering a veendam cruise

to hawaii on 21 jan 2014 - it would be first time on HAL

figured for 18 days the cards would be nice to have -

do you buy them on board or precruise online ?

can you buy coffee with the regular bev card or

do you have to use the non alcohol card ?

... for us. Between ports, we use Starbucks Via or an Americano from the Explorations Cafe for that all-important jumpstart in the morning. I have never been a fan of instant but the Via is very flavorful, especially the darker roasts. I also do this at hotels which often have bad or weak coffee.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means, but I found the stuff from Explorations on Volendam (was on it in September) to be decent. The hot chocolate, however, was phenomenal -- possibly the best I've had, and that's saying something. The prices aren't bad, either, especially when you compare them with Starbucks.

I was on the Eurodam last week. A large cafe latte was $3.15 +15% service charge. I got a 25% Mariner discount so I paid a total of $2.83 including the service charge. It was as good as any cafe latte I've had anywhere in North-America. (and they have cinnamon sticks to put in your coffee, not powder)

Just off the Noordam yesterday. My daily carmello creamice grande was $2.24 with the 4-star Mariner 50% discount. Nice way to get my coffee fix. Zaldy was the person I usually saw there. He was also on the Lido port side at dinner. Warm, friendly personality and efficient as well. A great representative of HAL service. Coffee preference is very subjective, of course. The Exp. Cafe Americano was far too robust for my taste.

Edited by the2ofus

A Cafe Mocha from the Explorations Cafe has become a part of my daily routine when onboard. About 10am, it really hits the spot - and I find it's done every bit as well as at my local Starbucks. Just thinking about it makes me want to get on a ship, ASAP!

That's exactly my routine around 10 am as well. I find it just as good as the one I get at Starbucks. I sit and do the daily crossword while enjoying it.:)