Local Food/ Beach

jty1220

First off thanks for your advice in advance. I love CC and appreciate everyones help.

We will be heading to Grand Cayman in January for our second time. First time we did Stingray city and loved it. This time I would love to find a great place to have lunch on the island and then chill at a beach.

Any places you reccommend?

What is the water like in January?

The water is clear and warm in January... about 80 degrees.

Out in Bodden Town you could visit Coe Wood beach and pick up local fare at the adjacent Grapetree Cafe.

Elsewhere try the West Bay Public Beach with nearby dining from AlFrescos.

There are lots of food options throughout Seven Mile Beach but many of those are offering tourist fare - not so much local cuisine. For local grub pull into Queens Court shopping centre and pick up a to go meal from Myrtle's before heading to the beach.

You have 2 excellent options -

Short taxi to Coconut Joe's acros from the Marriott and Comfort Suites on SMB, fun vibe on an outdoor deck with food and drink specials and great staff. Public beach access is right across the street. We stay at the Marriott and frequent Joe's often because it's a great local vibe and they have excellent casual food.

My Bar at the Sunset House for a nice "quiet" spot on the beach.

Both are a short taxi from the pier.

First off thanks for your advice in advance. I love CC and appreciate everyones help.

We will be heading to Grand Cayman in January for our second time. First time we did Stingray city and loved it. This time I would love to find a great place to have lunch on the island and then chill at a beach.

Any places you reccommend?

What is the water like in January?

We always walk to Smith Cove for a quiet beach day and hit My Bar @ Sunset House for a bite and some Caybrew. Was just there on Thursday (and already missing it).

We have also done a day at the west bay public beach, as previously suggested, but dined at Timbuctu, just across the street from Alfresco of memory serves.

Edited by CDNJehn

We always walk to Smith Cove for a quiet beach day and hit My Bar @ Sunset House for a bite and some Caybrew. Was just there on Thursday (and already missing it).

We have also done a day at the west bay public beach, as previously suggested, but dined at Timbuctu, just across the street from Alfresco of memory serves.

Jumping in this post for info about Smith Cove :) Pictures make this place look so beautiful and I would really like to visit while we're in GC. You said you could walk to it -- how far is it from the port? Could/Should we rent a car and drive?

Smiths Cove is about 1.5 miles south of town/tender landings .. Sunset House a little under a mile (between town and Smith's)

and note there is no 'beach' at Sunset House ... it is Iron Shore.

both locations are marked on Google Earth

Jumping in this post for info about Smith Cove :) Pictures make this place look so beautiful and I would really like to visit while we're in GC. You said you could walk to it -- how far is it from the port? Could/Should we rent a car and drive?

No just taxi. But as always pictures are one version, it is on the main road and not in a secluded area like the east end. Our first impression was wow - nice little spot but let's drive on.

Thanks for the info on Smith Cove! I did some research last night and have now switched gears into renting a car and driving along the coast toward the East End area. I found Testudo's Island Driving Tour for GC and am wanting to use it as a general guide and adapt it for what we want to see/do. We'd like to stop at Smith Cove, Pedro St. James, the blow holes, possibly the East End Lighthouse Park (I love stuff like that), Barefoot Beach, and of course lunch somewhere. I'm a sucker for scenic views and would like to just drive, stop when we want, and see the other side of GC.

Question, though. We will be in port from 10:00 - 6:00 and would like to rent a car in Georgetown and drive toward Rum Point. Can anyone tell me how long that would take? I'm seeing anywhere from 1.5 - 3 hours but I'm not sure if that is one way, round trip, or if it includes short stops. I want to allow for brief stops but I definitely want to be back in Georgetown in plenty of time to get back on the ship. Any thoughts on that?

Also - sorry to OP for hijacking your thread! :)

Seems like a few people like Smith Cove. What exactly is it?

It looks to be this small stretch of beach just outside of Georgetown that is a great spot to snorkel. After looking it up on Google Maps, it's not as big as pictures lead you to believe but it still looks like a cool place to stop for a few minutes. Many who snorkel say that it's a must-do while in the area. The pictures are what intrigued me but now that I've dug a little deeper, it's only one of many places I want to see while we're there! lol

I found Testudo's Island Driving Tour for GC and am wanting to use it as a general guide and adapt it for what we want to see/do. We'd like to stop at Smith Cove, Pedro St. James, the blow holes, possibly the East End Lighthouse Park (I love stuff like that), Barefoot Beach, and of course lunch somewhere <snip> We will be in port from 10:00 - 6:00 and would like to rent a car in Georgetown and drive toward Rum Point. Can anyone tell me how long that would take? I'm seeing anywhere from 1.5 - 3 hours but I'm not sure if that is one way, round trip, or if it includes short stops.

I'd assume about 2 hours of actual drive time to drive the East End loop, detour to Rum Point, then take the shorter route (Frank Sound Road rather than through East End) back to the port. Add 15 minutes or so per stop for small stuff like the blowholes and lighthouse, add longer for the actual "stay there a bit" stops like Pedro St James, beaches, lunch, etc.

Yes Rum Point is about a 45 min drive and you can stop at starfish beach and other spots on the return as time allows. I would head straight there and you can then decide how long you want to spend there.

The Wreck Bar & Grill serves the original mudslide, and their grouper BLT is excellent. You can take a jet ski out to the reef or just lime in the soft sand with plenty of shade as well.

Our fav beach on the island.

http://sunsethouse.com/

http://sunsethouse.com/video.php

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

100_0105_zps00ed64ce.jpg

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

100_0088_zps311c31ea.jpg

George Town, Grand Cayman, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 – Sunset House, Grand Cayman’s Hotel for Divers, by Divers today announced that it has received a TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence award. The accolade, which honors hospitality excellence, is given only to establishments that consistently achieve outstanding traveler reviews on TripAdvisor, and is extended to qualifying businesses worldwide. Only the top-performing 10 percent of businesses listed on TripAdvisor receive this prestigious award.

mybarpic.jpg

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

Voted Best Bar in the Caribbean by Caribbean Travel & Life (December 2006 issue), My Bar is one of those places that you "can not miss"! An island favorite. Go early to get a good spot. Order an infamous "Mudslide" or your favorite libation. Then sit back, relax and prepare to be overwhelmed by Mother Nature's beauty. http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

Thatched and cool, sea breezes drifting lazily through the shady interior, My Bar, is the Cayman Islands largest and, at times, the liveliest outdoor bar.

if you visit from a cruise ship you probably will not see another cruiser there ... crew maybe cuz they know it is away from where the tourists hang out.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Jty1220,

Like kristen we love going to Rum Point (both during the day and in the evening for dinner at the restaurant). Rum Point would be our choice for a "great place on the island to have lunch, and then chill at a (gorgeous) beach". Easy drive, free chairs and shade, and the Wreck Bar is excellent.

Sunset Bar is a nice spot for a drink before heading back to the ship if you are in town or at Smith's. It does attract cruisers because it's so close (but out of the town) and often recommended here. Great happy hour spot on "no ship days or after the ships leave too. but there is no beach to enjoy.

But Rum Point fits your description perfectly, hope you make it there! If not SMB is always the easy choice if RP isn't possible.

Is Rum Point a place that would be able to walk to a beach and eat? Weve never been,

Rum Point *is* a beach, on the far side of the island from Seven Mile Beach and the port area.

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free or cheap facilities are Royal Palms, Surfside, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free or cheap facilities are Royal Palms, Surfside, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Agree with everything you said about Seven Mile Beach!

It has its drawbacks BUT it is extremely convenient and really is a pretty beach area.

LuLu

~~~~

There is a restaurant (Rum Point Club Restaurant) amd beach bar (the Wreck Bar & Grill. We enjoyed a great dinner at the Club and an excellent lunch at the Wreck. Gorgeous beach offers shade and sun. You can rent jet-skis there and it's a short ride out to a good snorkel spot. To spend the most time there you would want to rent a compact car and make the 45 min drive.

There is a restaurant (Rum Point Club Restaurant) amd beach bar (the Wreck Bar & Grill. We enjoyed a great dinner at the Club and an excellent lunch at the Wreck. Gorgeous beach offers shade and sun. You can rent jet-skis there and it's a short ride out to a good snorkel spot. To spend the most time there you would want to rent a compact car and make the 45 min drive.

Unfortunately, the restaurant is only open for dinner, so it isn't an option for day visitors to Rum Point from a cruise ship...