Carryon Wine Policy Clarification from CEO Kruse

JoeMGiants

Yes, Princess does allow you to bring on board as much as you like as long as you pay a $15 per bottle corkage fee. We took a whole case on our last cruise and it worked out beautifully. They stamped the bottles on boarding and we could then take them anywhere on the ship that our hearts desired.

<snip>

Now that seems like a great system and HAL should adopt that for the longer cruises, and especially for ports where you like to buy local wine to enjoy onboard. Very grown-up and quite lucrative for HAL I would imagine.;)

What percent of guests do you suppose actually bring more than one or two bottles aboard? On Embarkation? In ports?

Europe and FLL likely will have varying percentages but do you think 25% of cabins bring wine? I tend to think the number if smaller than we might think. Curious what others think.

Now that seems like a great system and HAL should adopt that for the longer cruises, and especially for ports where you like to buy local wine to enjoy onboard. Very grown-up and quite lucrative for HAL I would imagine.;)

Totally agree - that's what many of us have been suggesting:) A corkage fee would meet everyone half way.

What percent of guests do you suppose actually bring more than one or two bottles aboard? On Embarkation? In ports?

Europe and FLL likely will have varying percentages but do you think 25% of cabins bring wine? I tend to think the number if smaller than we might think. Curious what others think.

Hard to say what the percentage is Sail. Most of our embarkations have been in Europe or going to Europe and there were a number of people with more than two bottles at embarkation. In certain ports, there were certainly a fair number bringing wine on board that were in front of us or behind us. When they did the inventory two times on the P'dam, our names certainly weren't at the top of the list;) and we were back earlier at those particular ports ;) Again, this is Europe, not the Caribbean.

I don't know what the percentage is, but no matter what it is, I would think no business would want to alienate that percentage of their customer base. I think most who like to bring special wines on board would be willing to pay the corkage fee if HAL added this to the policy. At the very least, they would have a choice:)

Edited by kazu

Good question Sail. And only HAL would know that answer. Anyone who has taken the "behind the scene tour" on a HAL ship, will probably visit the recycling center. They "sort" all the wine and spirits bottles so they can be crushed. When DH took the tour the ship management pointed out exactly what was brought onto the ship by passengers and what was sold by HAL. So HAL does know the "total" number of bottles, but would probably not know who they originally belonged to.

We brought 8 bottles of our favorites (that we couldn't get from HAL) and happily paid the corkage fee in the Pinnacle. We had great food, spectacular service, and our favorite wines- what could be better. We like to find small "off the radar" wineries.

<snip>

At the very least, they would have a choice:)

That is right on point.

Let people have the choice.

That gives everyone the chance to have what it is they want within a reasonable situation for both HAL and the guest.

Good question Sail. And only HAL would know that answer. Anyone who has taken the "behind the scene tour" on a HAL ship, will probably visit the recycling center. They "sort" all the wine and spirits bottles so they can be crushed. When DH took the tour the ship management pointed out exactly what was brought onto the ship by passengers and what was sold by HAL. So HAL does know the "total" number of bottles, but would probably not know who they originally belonged to.

I find it really interesting they sorted the wine bottles by whether HAL sold or guest self-provided. Indeed, they would have an exact count as to how much wine people are bringing.

Thanks for sharing that.

We've had behind the scenes tour but did not learn that info.

The percentage was large enough to cause HAL to change it's liberal policy. According to the hotel manager of the ship I was on, people bringing on cases of wine in FL, to save $$, was the main reason. Note that it was FL, not Europe that was mentioned. And it WAS mentioned that people sailing in Europe carrying on minimal amounts of wine were not the cause.

Do you think you will ever hear from Mr. Kruse? or just the assistant?

The letter I rceived from Christine Ferris indicated that Mr. Kruse asked her to respond on his behalf. I expect no further correspondence from them.

She also says in the letter, " We understand you are unhappy with our revised policy regarding the amount of wine and champagne our guests are allowed to bring on board. ........... [etc.] ............. Althought this revised policy is common throughout the cruise industery, we do regret the displeasure this change has caused ."

I suspect this is HAL's standard response to all complaints about the new policy.

Joe

The percentage was large enough to cause HAL to change it's liberal policy. According to the hotel manager of the ship I was on, people bringing on cases of wine in FL, to save $$, was the main reason. Note that it was FL, not Europe that was mentioned. And it WAS mentioned that people sailing in Europe carrying on minimal amounts of wine were not the cause.

Maybe that's why Total Wines in Fort Lauderdale does such huge business.:D I have to say, though, we never saw cases of wine being loaded when we boarded there, though we were aware of one member of our roll call taking a case on. I still think it's minimal, and the change in policy is less to do with abuse and more - as HAL says - in "standardizing" their line. But interesting to see they are not about to upset the World Cruisers - no such policy change for them.;)

I find it really interesting they sorted the wine bottles by whether HAL sold or guest self-provided. Indeed, they would have an exact count as to how much wine people are bringing.

Thanks for sharing that.

We've had behind the scenes tour but did not learn that info.

Sail - So that I'm not misunderstood ... HAL has the ability to sort the bottles. I'm not saying they do it every single day. During my DH's tour the Tour Guide picked up several bottles and identified them as "this is ours" and "this was brought onto the ship." What I was trying to say was the ability was there if HAL wanted to know exactly what percentage was brought onto the ship.

Maybe that's why Total Wines in Fort Lauderdale does such huge business.:D I have to say, though, we never saw cases of wine being loaded when we boarded there, though we were aware of one member of our roll call taking a case on. I still think it's minimal, and the change in policy is less to do with abuse and more - as HAL says - in "standardizing" their line. But interesting to see they are not about to upset the World Cruisers - no such policy change for them.;)

We haven't sailed HAL out of FL, so I can't say I've witnessed it. Actually, I've never noticed anyone carrying on wine in Europe. When I asked wine drinkers on our last cruise if they brought it on, the far majority said no.

I agree about HAL wanting to standardize the policy. However, the hotel manager was most emphatic about the reason being cases being brought on. He was quite annoyed with us at CC, as well. I hope he doesn't remember what I look like....I will probably be banned from ever attending the Q&A session. That's OK...my only interest was the wine policy, so I was glad to be able to voice my opinion in that arena!

We carry a few bottles of wine onboard with our sailaway bubbly and it's most amusing to see the shocked faces when we brought our bags into the dining room for embarkation lunch. They'd been put aside in an unused area which later filled up and while eating, I saw a passenger choose one of our bottles and held it up as if he thought he was exposing our loot to the wait staff who didn't blink. I joked with him and said I'd caught him trying to make off with it and found he'd been on about 20 cruises with HAL and never knew about this perk. See what people miss if they don't read the fine print or the cruise forums!:p

We haven't sailed HAL out of FL, so I can't say I've witnessed it. Actually, I've never noticed anyone carrying on wine in Europe. When I asked wine drinkers on our last cruise if they brought it on, the far majority said no.

I agree about HAL wanting to standardize the policy. However, the hotel manager was most emphatic about the reason being cases being brought on. He was quite annoyed with us at CC, as well. I hope he doesn't remember what I look like....I will probably be banned from ever attending the Q&A session. That's OK...my only interest was the wine policy, so I was glad to be able to voice my opinion in that arena!

Same thing happened to me on the NA at the Q & A. Marco Von Bellegham, the Hotel Director, was quite annoyed when I asked about the new wine policy, mentioning that the people on Cruise Critic were quite upset about it, me included.

It was strange because he is an otherwise very charming man - we went to a couple cocktail parties and to his photography talk and he was perfectly nice...but his back surely went up when I asked that question at the Q & A. I was invited to the one on the second segment and passed! :rolleyes:

I asked the Beverage Manager about it as well when he came by to check on the M & G set-up. He basically said it was HAL's policy...not his...and that he was only there temporarily, having been called out of retirement...and would soon be leaving.

To all those "Who Have Never Seen Cases Loaded On"

How would you?

Unless you hung around the baggage drop-off from say 10am til 4pm

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

While waiting to board after check-in a couple came out of the elevator with a handcart and 3 cases of wine. Not all wine is checked like baggage.

How would you?

And ditto for those who claim to have seen "cases and cases" being loaded or carried on.

Same thing happened to me on the NA at the Q & A. Marco Von Bellegham, the Hotel Director, was quite annoyed when I asked about the new wine policy, mentioning that the people on Cruise Critic were quite upset about it, me included.

It was strange because he is an otherwise very charming man - we went to a couple cocktail parties and to his photography talk and he was perfectly nice...but his back surely went up when I asked that question at the Q & A. I was invited to the one on the second segment and passed! :rolleyes:

I asked the Beverage Manager about it as well when he came by to check on the M & G set-up. He basically said it was HAL's policy...not his...and that he was only there temporarily, having been called out of retirement...and would soon be leaving.

I find it interesting now that two hotel managers were annoyed with our response at CC. I wonder if they were involved with the decision, or had some sort of input.

How would you?

A lot of passengers don't even take them through baggage check, instead they carry them on. I decided to go through my pictures from a recent cruise when we were sitting around in the terminal and I was trying out my new smart phone camera. Found these within a few minutes of each other (which I have tried to edit - and pardon the crude editing - to make sure that the people carrying the wine had their identities protected). My DH and I thought that schlepping the wine around was funny (although smart at the time). Anyway, if I found these two in a few minutes, how many others were also bringing wine on. I bet that it's a larger number than we think.

wine.jpg.754aa62547b9c87298bc2a93ff5f1290.jpg

A lot of passengers don't even take them through baggage check, instead they carry them on. I decided to go through my pictures from a recent cruise when we were sitting around in the terminal and I was trying out my new smart phone camera. Found these within a few minutes of each other (which I have tried to edit - and pardon the crude editing - to make sure that the people carrying the wine had their identities protected). My DH and I thought that schlepping the wine around was funny (although smart at the time). Anyway, if I found these two in a few minutes, how many others were also bringing wine on. I bet that it's a larger number than we think.

Finally! Someone saw somebody schlepping cases aboard and they have evidence. Have no fear,they'll be plenty of doubters,claiming they were photshopped or some other ridiculous thing.:)

Edited by Wakepatrol

He then did a swan dive off the fantail:)

I have been known to board a wine bottle box obtained at the wine store. It usually contains 6 bottles of spring water and 3 or 4 bottles of wine and whatever else I can jam in the remaining spaces - snacks, a few soda cans, etc. So folks ( and HAL staff ) may jump to conclusions about "cases of wine" being boarded.