Venice Hotel Suggestions Please

harvey27

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for a 1 nights stay pre-cruise, reasonably priced not sure if it's better to stay city centre or slightly further out, any help would be appreciated as this will be our first time in Venice:).

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for a 1 nights stay pre-cruise, reasonably priced not sure if it's better to stay city centre or slightly further out, any help would be appreciated as this will be our first time in Venice:).

Venice is expensive, but I recommend staying in the city and not at Mestre. If you are looking for reasonably priced hotels, I recommend hotels in the area around the train station.

We used the Venere website for hotel and stayed in the Cannaregio area near the train station. Also, if you stay near the Piazzale Roma, you can walk from there without taking water taxi or public transport.

This link to the Venice Cruise Terminal is a good source for hotels.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

We just returned from a wonderful stay at Hotel Campiello. It's very close to St. Marks and was recommended by Rick Steves. The Aliguna boat stops very close by so it is easy to get to the cruise dock or airport from this hotel. The location is convenient to many great restaurants and shopping too. A good breakfast is included, the bathroom is modern and wifi is free.

Where to stay will depend on if you caneasily manage your luggage. Most people on cruises tend to overpack and therefore can't manage the bridges.

If you can't manage your luggage, stay near the Piazzale Roma which has easy access to the pier and airport transfers, or in the town of Mestre, just across the causeway from Venice which has quick and easy access to Venice by train/bus. The link posted above has a list of hotels by 'number of bridges to cross'

Since I just researched Venice hotels to death for our cruise next June, I can suggest the Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre (just outside Venice), or if you want to stay in Venice there is Hotel Papadopoli, which has its own water taxi dock so you don't have to drag suitcases all over. I wound up booking the Hotel Palazzo Stern, which is in the Dorsoduro neighborhood of Venice. It has a water taxi dock and also a public water bus dock right out front, so very convenient, and not too far to St. Mark's Square. It is a small hotel that includes breakfast, not cheap but not as much as some I looked at. Those are a few for you to check out :)

We had 3 nights in the Hotel Antiche Figure before our cruise and 3 nights at the Hotel Popodopolis after our cruise, both are great hotels in good locations.

Next year before our cruise we'll be staying at the Hotel Popodpoli pre cruise, mainly because of its quiet location, can't wait.:)

• 5 weeks later...

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel on Piazza Roma at the end of our cruise--there is where the cruise ship shuttles come into. Price was reasonable and since we left Venice on the train it is also close to the train station. Check out Best Western's website for the best price.

We've stayed twice at Hotel Papadopoli near Piazza Roma. Very nice hotel and great location. The standard rooms are not large. The deluxe rooms overlooking the canal that we stayed in are excellent. I would not consider it moderately price, but everything in Venice is expensive. They run some specials from time to time which helps.

We have stayed at hotel papodopoli ...loved it...very easy to get to...bus from airport and one small bridge to cross at bus stop...room was clean and nice...breakfast was lovely...wonderful little restaurant right across bridge at front door and to the right....about 20 minute walk to st marks but a lovely walk...would definitely stay again