Prepaid Gratuities, what % goes to who?

Nikkimouse76

restaurant I've ever eaten in (and I eat lunch out almost every day)

Man, this touches a nerve. If you haven't worked in a restaurant, you don't understand how it works. Its like saying I am an expert in aerodynamics because I ride in air planes. During and after high school I waited tables in places from 5 star restuarants with strolling violinists to family-style chains.

10AM: two servers arrive to set up the restaurant. They brew iced tea, cut lemons, put salt and pepper and other things on the table and make sure the restaurant is ready to go.

11AM: Restaurant opens, other servers arrive.

11:115AM: A table or two gets sat. Tables are rotated between servers. The first two go to the two opening servers.

11:45AM: If you are lucky and you were the opener, you have two tables. Two closing servers arrive.

12:15: The restaurant starts to get busy. You have 3 tables now.

12:30: Restaurant is on a short wait. You have 4 tables. If you are lucky, your first table has left and you get resat. If its slow that day, very common even with very popular places, the two openers get cut.

1:00: Restaurant is full but no more wait at the front. Most servers get cut leaving only the two closers or occasionally one or two extra servers. All future tables go to them.

1:30: Restaurant is emptying out. Opening servers are finishing their side work such as rolling silverware.

If you are lucky, your two early tables left quickly meaning for the day, you probably had 6 tables. The problem with that is it depends on how many people were at the table. Often its only 2 people. And checks are low at lunch. If you work in a family style restaurant, you are looking at about $15 check average per person, $20 on a really good day. Getting 6 tables on a lunch rush is pretty normal. Some days you get 8 and some days you get 2 and get cut early. But at 6 tables, an average of 3 per table and an average of $20 per person in sales, that comes out to $54 in tips minus tipping out the bus boy, bartender and food runner. After that you are looking at $35 - $40 in your pocket. The concept is identical in 5 star restaurants too, just the per person check average is higher but so it the amount of money you tip out..

I worked in one of the top restaurants in town, 5 star, rave reviews, very famous chef, usually packed nightly and plenty of times I got cut with no tables or one table because the restaurant wasnt as busy as expected. Its cheaper to pay a server to stand around and do nothing and get sent home than it is to have the place slammed and customers have a bad experience and not come back.

So 95% of a restaurants lunch business happens in about an hour. And no one eats lunch at a sit down restaurant in 30 mins. If they have that little time, they go to subway.

::looking for the "like" button!::

Not to mention that some restaurants have the servers tip out the hosts that seat you. In addition, should a customer, and it DOES happen, leave without paying their bill, some servers are responsible for paying that bill.

Harriet

who wonders who the bell hop at the Resort has to tip out daily.

When I worked as a bell hop I didn't have to tip anyone out, I kept my tips. I am pretty sure that I did discuss tipping out in my example as I am well aware that it happens.

Man, this touches a nerve. If you haven't worked in a restaurant, you don't understand how it works. Its like saying I am an expert in aerodynamics because I ride in air planes. During and after high school I waited tables in places from 5 star restuarants with strolling violinists to family-style chains.

10AM: two servers arrive to set up the restaurant. They brew iced tea, cut lemons, put salt and pepper and other things on the table and make sure the restaurant is ready to go.

11:115AM: A table or two gets sat. Tables are rotated between servers. The first two go to the two opening servers.

11:45AM: If you are lucky and you were the opener, you have two tables. Two closing servers arrive.

12:30: Restaurant is on a short wait. You have 4 tables. If you are lucky, your first table has left and you get resat. If its slow that day, very common even with very popular places, the two openers get cut.

1:00: Restaurant is full but no more wait at the front. Most servers get cut leaving only the two closers or occasionally one or two extra servers. All future tables go to them.

1:30: Restaurant is emptying out. Opening servers are finishing their side work such as rolling silverware.

If you are lucky, your two early tables left quickly meaning for the day, you probably had 6 tables. The problem with that is it depends on how many people were at the table. Often its only 2 people. And checks are low at lunch. If you work in a family style restaurant, you are looking at about $15 check average per person, $20 on a really good day. Getting 6 tables on a lunch rush is pretty normal. Some days you get 8 and some days you get 2 and get cut early. But at 6 tables, an average of 3 per table and an average of $20 per person in sales, that comes out to $54 in tips minus tipping out the bus boy, bartender and food runner. After that you are looking at $35 - $40 in your pocket. The concept is identical in 5 star restaurants too, just the per person check average is higher but so it the amount of money you tip out..

I worked in one of the top restaurants in town, 5 star, rave reviews, very famous chef, usually packed nightly and plenty of times I got cut with no tables or one table because the restaurant wasnt as busy as expected. Its cheaper to pay a server to stand around and do nothing and get sent home than it is to have the place slammed and customers have a bad experience and not come back.

So 95% of a restaurants lunch business happens in about an hour. And no one eats lunch at a sit down restaurant in 30 mins. If they have that little time, they go to subway.

You're assuming the average tip is 15%. Maybe that was true years ago, but by reports and based on my observations, it's probably more in the 20-25% range, particularly at lunch where the average check is small. As I said, in diners at lunch tables often turn in about a half hour or so. I see it every day...and sometimes I'm out in a half hour myself.

I'm not suggesting anyone is about to get rich waiting tables, but when I see the same people working at the same restaurants for years...even decades, I have to assume they're making more money than they would doing another job they might qualify for.

Unless you are a pro athlete or have an eating issue, you aren't spending $20 per person at a diner. The length of time someone spends at a table is generally in proportion to the cost of the meal. While diner tables may turn more frequently, the per person average is lower so it works out about the same. Fine dining turns much slower with higher per person averages.

People wait tables for a host of reasons. Here in LA it is because they are pursuing a career in the film business and need the flexibility to go on auditions, etc. Its not a bad job but they don't make a ton either.

None of this has any bearing to any situation on a cruise ship.

Anyone have any ideas as to how gratuities are split up. What percentage goes to who?

NCL charges a daily service charge not a gratuity. Being a service charge, it is completely up to NCL's discretion how to distribute the money whether as part of salary, incentive programs, "crew welfare programs", or to withhold a portion of funds for whatever reason. A gratuity on the other hand must be distributed to employees. Carnival/Royal uses the auto-gratuity system (and they are clearer on who receives a portion of the tips) while NCL uses the daily service charge.

The controversy seems to always center around the fact that whether it is a service charge or gratuity... It's discretionary and can be adjusted by the passenger. I would hazard a guess that most people hate the idea of tipping, gratuities, and service charges and instead feel employers should be paying a fair wage to employees instead of relying on some tipping scheme. However, since it is customary in the US to tip restaurant servers and housekeeping staff, we reluctantly do so, and we expect everyone else to do the same. "If we have to tip, everyone else should too" mentality. Anyone who tries to defend the removal of gratuities/service charges in order to save money will be attacked. In the end, tipping or adjusting tips/service charges is a purely personal decision.

I've always been curious about this myself. If the breakdown is similar to what bear states, what about bartenders, lunch waiters, etc? I do always leave a little extra for those who go above and beyond.

There was a kid who worked on the NCL ships who was well known on Cruise Critic...James. He told the story of how he was working in the cafeteria when he started. One day, he cleared a plate and found a single dollar bill under the plate. He said it made his day. I always think of that when cruising...if every table--not even every passenger-- just each table, left just one dollar under the plate, those kids would ALL be WAY ahead. Just think--only 3.00 per day to make them happy. The cost of a soda...21.00 on a 7 night cruise. I say forget all the calculations, and just do it !! It means so much to all those smiling faces working 10 hours a day.

I don't know. Walk around with dollar bills on vacation is not my idea of fun. To give small amount of tips at the end of cruise to the most deserving seems to be more fitting.

I find this argument about it not being a tip odd when every link on ncl about tipping refers to the DSC.

And refers to it in the sense that tipping is not required....your service is provided and covered thanks to the DSC.

Archived