Your FAVORITE food item on an NCL ship

jp2001

Besides the suite breakfast and lunch favourites I have very few definite favourites elsewhere, only that come to mind are:

In the buffet:

- Chilled fruit soups (if found, nowadays usually only in buffet if even there)

- Plain crepe on which I add raspberry sauce from the hard ice cream station (sometimes I'd settle for strawberry if there is no raspberry available), that way it's much less sugary than with the jams there at the crepes station

In MDRs:

- Spring roll (I think it's spring and not summer - anyway the one that is deepfried, not the vietnamese one that is fresh and cold, I don't usually eat a lot of foods from those areas so I have mixed them up in the past - what a dissappointment it's been ;))

- Salmon and cucumber tartar (next best thing after the salmon appetizer on suite lunch menu)

In bars:

- Oak and Ginger (Bacardi Oakheart with Ginger Ale)

- Most martinis (I drink martinis only onboard usually)

- Mojitos (there are several delicious variations too, it pays to ask)

Love this thread. I want to be on my cruise NOW!! so I can try some of these items. But please tell us Brits what a Pretzel Roll is. :)

It's bread but made to have the texture of a pretzel. Kind of like a big pretzel you get at the fair but in a bread form. Did that make any sense? Lol.

Main DR appetizer Watermelon/fried feta salad

Main DR main dish Veal chop

Main DR dessert Watermelon/fried feta salad:D

Specialty Restaurant appetizer tie: both @ le bistro- escargots and mushroom soupe

Specialty Restaurant main dish Osso Bucco @ il adiagio/Pappa's/Mamma's

Specialty Restaurant dessert Chocolate Apricot Torte at the Italian restaurants (doesn't seem to ever show up anymore)

Buffet main dish breakfast corn beef hash

Buffet side item breakfast musli

Buffet dessert bread pudding

Other - main dish

Other - side item

Other - dessert

Bar - beer

Bar - cocktail passionate fish

Bar - wine Prosecco @ MDR for welcome aboard lunch

Thanks!!!

Here are mine....

Filled this out while I was eating my 7 points plus Weight Watchers meal. Probably not the best idea I've ever had.

LOL -- Can't wait to meet you on the ship! I was trying to figure out if I was going to take my WW tracker with me on the cruise -- and now I guess I'll have to!

But -- have to have the salmon and white beans in La cucina, carpaccio and lamb in Le Bistro, and maybe even a pretzel roll from the buffet. But I also like the egg white omelets in the buffet -- they are a great way to start the day with a little "salsa" on the top.

It's bread but made to have the texture of a pretzel. Kind of like a big pretzel you get at the fair but in a bread form. Did that make any sense? Lol.

Mmmmmm yes it does thanks. I love the giant soft pretzels NOT the little hard ones Infact I have just scoffed one ;) :) I will be trying those!!!

wow, so many good choices:

I guess I would say: Crème Brulee in Le Bistros

Escargot: the same place

Fish and chips or wings at Blue Lagoon

Cesar salad for lunch at the buffet

Lox and Bagels or Eggs bene, either buffet or MDR

Meat at Modenros or whatever it is called.

all the Asian food in any of the Asian restaurants

Salmon in the MDR

Burgers by the pool.

Besides the suite breakfast and lunch favourites I have very few definite favourites elsewhere, only that come to mind are:

In the buffet:

- Chilled fruit soups (if found, nowadays usually only in buffet if even there)

- Plain crepe on which I add raspberry sauce from the hard ice cream station (sometimes I'd settle for strawberry if there is no raspberry available), that way it's much less sugary than with the jams there at the crepes station

In MDRs:

- Spring roll (I think it's spring and not summer - anyway the one that is deepfried, not the vietnamese one that is fresh and cold, I don't usually eat a lot of foods from those areas so I have mixed them up in the past - what a dissappointment it's been ;))

- Salmon and cucumber tartar (next best thing after the salmon appetizer on suite lunch menu)

In bars:

- Oak and Ginger (Bacardi Oakheart with Ginger Ale)

- Most martinis (I drink martinis only onboard usually)

- Mojitos (there are several delicious variations too, it pays to ask)

I think we like a lot of the same things :) Great idea with the sauce for the Crepes. And yes I too have done the same with the Spring Rolls I do like both but always dissapionted when I go for the wrong "type" :(

Having just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal Cruise on the Pearl, the wonderful tastes are still fresh on my mind...and the extra pounds are still on my hips!! My husband raved about the broccoli cheese soup and found it both in the buffet and at times in the MDR. He said the soup that was called Broccoli Bisque was essentially the same. I love the chicken that NCL grills at the poolside BBQ's. Don't know how they get it so perfectly done. Any of the Indian food is terrific.

And, the biggest treat for me is the Bavarian Fest buffet at the Great Outdoors on the last afternoon of the cruise. Delicious and fun!!

Forgot to add I just loved the fish and chips at Blue Lagoon on the Dawn - delish :). I remembered going for take out about 3pm and taking it to my cabin for me and my Mom. I still remember that dish - hope the Breakaway can do them justice

My favorite thing that NCL has are the Crepes and the whipped cream is TO DIE FOR!! I love this sugary stuff! I discovered on our last cruise that it was also good to use it on our pancakes and waffles. YUM! :D

I wish you could buy this in the stores but I have yet to find anything that taste like it. :(

Here are my favorites:

Main DR appetizer...mushroom with warm goat cheese (lunch menu)

Main DR main dish...lamb shank or beef stroganoff (dinner menu)

Main DR dessert...bread pudding (also found in the buffet)

Specialty Restaurant appetizer...Le Bistros escargot, Asian restaurant's lettuce wrapped rice/beef mixture,

Specialty Restaurant main dish...Teppenyaki's land and sea/surf and turf

Specialty Restaurant dessert...when at Le bistro I ask if they can pour warm chocolate fondue over vanilla ice cream which creates a polar bar...

Buffet main dish...any of the marinated chicken during lunch, the prime rib during dinner, any time I see the battered fried cod fish...made to order pasta station

Buffet side item...surprisingly...try some of the casserole mixtures!

Buffet dessert...the ice cream station

Other - main dish...The Blue Lagoon chicken wings...if your ship has it...any time they barbecue ribs at the poolside or at great stirrup cay

Other - side item...Moderno's salad bar

Other - dessert...chocolate chip cookies in between meals

Bar - beer...buy five get six promotions

Bar - cocktail....chocolate martini or the French kiss/martini tastings

Bar - wine...the free stuff served at repeat passenger parties?

Not asked for in question but if your sailing has the GermanFest buffet where they serve up Bavarian dishes and desserts along with the oompah music...I love this the best...usually done during a day at sea.

OH! I edited to add: the chocolate croissants any where and anytime I find them.

OH! OH! I edited again to add the fresh fruit at breakfast...the buffet is good but it tastes even better when served on a cold plate in the dining room with the cottage cheese...

Enjoy your cruise! :D

Coka

Edited by coka

Le Bistro - Chocolate Napoleon (resembles the shape of napoleon and thereby the name). We never thought to order it because neither one of us likes napoleons. Someone at the table next to ours ordered it and said it was wonderful so we asked the waitress for one. We were already half way through the Chocolate Fondue and ice cream that we initially ordered. We did not finish the fondue, but the napoleon went in no time. I think we gained a few pounds that night.

BTW, if you put some of the chocolate from the fondue on ice cream it starts to harden.

Art

Hands down -- Nutella and whipped cream crepes!!!! Once we found these, we would stop in for "dessertitizers" before heading off to dinner. That way, we knew that we wouldn't miss out if dinner or the show ran past closing time in the garden cafe.

There are many great things in Blue Lagoon - too hard to name just one. I love the pretzel rolls. So good with just butter, but split the long ones lengthwise and use it like a hotdog bun or the little round ones make great little sliders deli sandwiches. I typically have quite the sweet tooth but I've mostly been disappointed with the desserts. Exceptions are ice cream, crepes in the buffet, creme brulee where ever you can find it, and we had a really good brownie sundae in the Blue Lagoon. Oh, I forgot about the carrot cake in Cagney's at lunch. I've enjoyed the lamb in the MDR, and the lobster tails were surprisingly good even if they are small.

I've not gotten to enjoy a meal at LeBistro yet, but I've got a list of things to try there!

My husband and I still rave about the steak we had the first night on the Star on surf/turf night. It was one of the most delicious tender filets we've ever had. Loved the make your own crepe station - wish we had discovered it earlier in the cruise. Almost everything on the chocoholics buffet. The chocolate covered mini-eclairs were wonderful.