AARP for those under 50 and NCL

cruisecritiquer

Okay so a friend of mine said you can join AARP with an Associate Membership when you are under 50. I Called. She's right. Seeing as how the AARP gives you a 5% discount on cruises, and it's only $16.00/year it would certainly be worth a membership.

My question, however is that I know Associate Members are not eligible to apply for insurance and other products through AARP and you do not become a full member until you are 49.5 years old. But, do they still get to use discounts like the NCL one?

I've called AARP and amazingly enough the customer service reps could not give me any definitive information on this. I read an article that said only 1% of their member base is under 50 so I'm not surprised they don't receive these questions frequently.

Has anyone tried to use an AARP Associate membership to take advantage of the 5% discount through NCL?

My husband just turned 49 1/2 so he is just about to join. However, when i tried to price out a cruise out online, it showed the AARP price was more than the Latitudes price and by a few hundred dollars.

So if you are a member then just tell your PCC and they will see which is the best discounted rate for you

My husband just turned 50 and joined AARP. When we booked our cruise (by calling NCL) there were no AARP dicounts on the cruise we wanted when we booked.

When I checked prices a week or so later online, the discount was available.

So, this is one of those things that may come and go. Check your options and see what works best for you with each booking.

I did have him price it a few different ways.

On the Pearl cruise I have scheduled for next year the price is 1579.00 per person for the 1st and 2nd berth in a MA Mini-Suite (Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony). The 3rd berth is 399.00 and that is using the following codes:

DASHSALE

EASYFARE

PRLOBC

With taxes the total is $3,881.90.

With the AARP discount, the price is $1513 for 1st and 2nd berth. The third price stayed the same and the total is $3,749.00 w/ taxes.

That's a savings of $132.90 which is already worth the cost I pay for one year's membership.

I hope that helps.

They sent me a "paper" membership card when I signed up so I'm just saving it as a .pdf to my computer and to the files on my phone for when/if I need it.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

My husband just turned 50 and joined AARP. When we booked our cruise (by calling NCL) there were no AARP dicounts on the cruise we wanted when we booked.

When I checked prices a week or so later online, the discount was available.

So, this is one of those things that may come and go. Check your options and see what works best for you with each booking.

That's good to know. Did you call to reprice it with the AARP discount. What's going to be funny is if they let me combine the Kids Sail Free discount with the AARP discount when it comes up. ;) At that point if they don't allow both I'll just have to figure out which one is best.

That's funny. :D Yes, I'm a junior senior and proud of it. ;)

what makes a 50 year old person a Senior Citizen :confused: Now I feel old LOL

by The way unless there is a way to opt out on crap .. be prepared to get a ton of junk mail, email and for them to sell your name and address ALL OVER creation.

My parent's mailbox is FULL of stuff every day between that and whatever information that the SSA sells out... I guess that's how they can sell those memberships for $16. LOL

Edited by CactusFlower527

what makes a 50 year old person a Senior Citizen :confused:

by The way unless there is a way to ope out on crap .. be prepared to get a ton of junk mail, email and for them to sell your name and address ALL OVER creation.

I'm sure it was just a joke.

I put my email as my "junk" email which I never check...and all the junk mail they send me is fine. We have a recycling bin in the garage for that which eventually makes it way to our shredding company. Most mail doesn't even make it past the garage door. ;) Sh

I'm sure it was just a joke.

I put my email as my "junk" email which I never check...and all the junk mail they send me is fine. We have a recycling bin in the garage for that which eventually makes it way to our shredding company. Most mail doesn't even make it past the garage door. ;) Sh

yes, I know it was humor (used LOL twice)

I like to mitigate "mailbox" junk mail.. saves trees. Just warning people that AARP does offer some decent discounts, but I also feel they are in business to gather names/addresses to resell. And yep........... I realize a lot of places do that.

yes, I know it was humor (used LOL twice)

I like to mitigate "mailbox" junk mail.. saves trees. Just warning people that AARP does offer some decent discounts, but I also feel they are in business to gather names/addresses to resell. And yep........... I realize a lot of places do that.

I see that now. I guess you went back and edited because I quoted you and there was no LOL there in the beginning so I misunderstood. :)

That's good to know. Did you call to reprice it with the AARP discount. What's going to be funny is if they let me combine the Kids Sail Free discount with the AARP discount when it comes up. ;) At that point if they don't allow both I'll just have to figure out which one is best.

When we called to make the final payment, my husband mentioned missing out on the AARP discount and they gave us $300 in OBC. Since we're in an S4 and upgrades aren't really possible, we are happy with the OBC.

And while I didn't marry him for the AARP discount, maybe it does help make up for the 11 year difference in musical tastes! :p

Has anyone tried to use an AARP Associate membership to take advantage of the 5% discount through NCL?

I have used the AARP discount on every one of my NCL cruises, and I am 45. I was offered a membership when my DH turned 50. He is the primary member, but I book the cruises and use my name and AARP number.

I turned 50 last month and joined the "Club". I cancelled a few months later. I got so many solicitations and advertisements it just was not worth it. They almost seem like some sort of scam. My wife and I pay $50.00 a year for AAA, which has more benefits we actually use, they also offer the same discount on cruises without the headaches of AARP

Be aware there are two different AARP Discounts at Norwegian. There is the "special" discount that comes and goes and is only available during advertised sales, and the "permenant" 5% discount that is available anytime if you book a cruise nine or more months in advance.

I turned 50 last month and joined the "Club". I cancelled a few months later. I got so many solicitations and advertisements it just was not worth it. They almost seem like some sort of scam. My wife and I pay $50.00 a year for AAA, which has more benefits we actually use, they also offer the same discount on cruises without the headaches of AARP

When I went to AAA I saw no NCL cruises on their website at all and I don't see any discount for AAA members on NCL. So how do you get a cruise discount with NCL via AAA?

I would love to know where you are seeing AAA discounts. I have been a gold AAA member for years and have never saved a penny on any travel over what I could book myself. Even the AAA hotel discounts can be easily beaten by hotel booking discount sites.

That being said, we use the towing feature at least once per year, so AAA is very worth it to us.