Advice on before/after Med cruise

hsaroya

My DH, 16 yo DS and 14 yo DD, and I are on the Regal Princess for 12 days in Aug in 2014, starting in Venice, ending in Barcelona. Here is what I'm thinking for before and after the cruise and I would love for as many of you to chime in with your two cents as possible.

-fly into Munich from Edmonton via Icelandair as much less expensive than flying into Venice. $550 to Munich per person, one way

-rent a car and get a hotel in Munich for three nights

-spend one day touring Munich

-drive to the Salzburg area of Austria and spend a day touring there

-drive into Switzerland and spend one day there

-we would be returning to Munich each night

-fly from Munich to Venice on morning of embarkation; I believe it's about 60 euro and less than two hours; as the ship is in Venice overnight, I am not concerned with flight delays, etc

-get into Venice early morning, embark earliest possible time, spend remainder of the day in Venice as well as part of the night, coming and going off the ship as need be; spend the next day (prior to leaving port) in Venice (get up and out very early)

-upon debarkation in Barcelona, use public shuttle/bus to hotel on Las Ramblas

-spend 2 nights there

-use one of the hoho busses to tour Camp Nou, Sagrada, Park Guell, beach area, etc - spent three days in Barcelona chaperoning my jr high students there last spring break, so am comfortable with metro and busses

-tapas at gothic quarter

-spend a good amount of time on Ramblas and also see the market

-on third day, early in the morning, take a flight to London; a little over 2 hrs, around 50-70 euro depending on checked baggage

-spend 3 nights there (have relatives with whom we would stay) seeing the main London sights with the relatives

-fly out of London back to Edm on Icelandair for $650 each

Please give me all the advice your own experiences will allow; pick apart my plan, add to it, etc. I am truly looking for feedback. Thanks!

My DH, 16 yo DS and 14 yo DD, and I are on the Regal Princess for 12 days in Aug in 2014, starting in Venice, ending in Barcelona. Here is what I'm thinking for before and after the cruise and I would love for as many of you to chime in with your two cents as possible.

-fly into Munich from Edmonton via Icelandair as much less expensive than flying into Venice. $550 to Munich per person, one way

-rent a car and get a hotel in Munich for three nights

-spend one day touring Munich

-drive to the Salzburg area of Austria and spend a day touring there

-drive into Switzerland and spend one day there

-we would be returning to Munich each night

-fly from Munich to Venice on morning of embarkation; I believe it's about 60 euro and less than two hours; as the ship is in Venice overnight, I am not concerned with flight delays, etc

-get into Venice early morning, embark earliest possible time, spend remainder of the day in Venice as well as part of the night, coming and going off the ship as need be; spend the next day (prior to leaving port) in Venice (get up and out very early)

-upon debarkation in Barcelona, use public shuttle/bus to hotel on Las Ramblas

-spend 2 nights there

-use one of the hoho busses to tour Camp Nou, Sagrada, Park Guell, beach area, etc - spent three days in Barcelona chaperoning my jr high students there last spring break, so am comfortable with metro and busses

-tapas at gothic quarter

-spend a good amount of time on Ramblas and also see the market

-on third day, early in the morning, take a flight to London; a little over 2 hrs, around 50-70 euro depending on checked baggage

-spend 3 nights there (have relatives with whom we would stay) seeing the main London sights with the relatives

-fly out of London back to Edm on Icelandair for $650 each

Please give me all the advice your own experiences will allow; pick apart my plan, add to it, etc. I am truly looking for feedback. Thanks!

This link for European cruising might be helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Looks like a wonderful trip:)

I think your Munich idea is great with alittle planning of coarse. Driving over to Switzerland is probably farther than you think. Driving south into Austria is a great adventure and there is alot to see (Garmisch-Partenkirchen). You might check out the area of Rothenburg ob der Tauber to the west which is a great one night stay and easy to get back to Munich. In Barcelona from the airport you can take the Aeroporto Bus and get to the main plaza in Las Ramblas pretty cheap. There are lug racks on that bus. With a good map you can probably get to a nearby hotel fairly easy. Getting a land tour in along with a cruise is a definite plus but do your home work. I hope this information is helpful. Tim

I think your Munich idea is great with alittle planning of coarse. Driving over to Switzerland is probably farther than you think. Driving south into Austria is a great adventure and there is alot to see (Garmisch-Partenkirchen). You might check out the area of Rothenburg ob der Tauber to the west which is a great one night stay and easy to get back to Munich. In Barcelona from the airport you can take the Aeroporto Bus and get to the main plaza in Las Ramblas pretty cheap. There are lug racks on that bus. With a good map you can probably get to a nearby hotel fairly easy. Getting a land tour in along with a cruise is a definite plus but do your home work. I hope this information is helpful. Tim

Thank you, Tim. Have you driven in Germany or Austria? If so, is it easy for a non-German speaking North American?

I've driven in Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Italy as an English-only speaker. No problems at all. Go to your CAA office and get an International Driving License. It's basically a translation of your license, with a photo. I have been asked for it a few times when renting.

Learn the basic road signs and the terms for "entrance", "exit", things like that. When you rent, ask if the vignette for Austria is included - you need that for traveling on their highway.

When I'd spend my week in Innsbruck (did it a few times), we'd do day trips to Garmish (via car) and then Salzburg via train. From Munich, you can do a trip to Konigsee (near Salzburg). It is an amazing alpine lake. Only row power or electric boats allowed. You can take a boat tour on the lake - a one point, the "captain" will sing, showing the fantastic acoustics around the lake - the echoes are so clear. There is a bobsled track right up against the Konigsee; in the summer there are wheeled bobsled rides!!! Salzburg is only about 40km from Konigsee.

If you have a couple of extra days and the airline fare allows, you might want to spend some time in Iceland. We really enjoyed our time there.

Hadn't thought about that, will definitely give it a look.

I've driven in Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Italy as an English-only speaker. No problems at all. Go to your CAA office and get an International Driving License. It's basically a translation of your license, with a photo. I have been asked for it a few times when renting.

Learn the basic road signs and the terms for "entrance", "exit", things like that. When you rent, ask if the vignette for Austria is included - you need that for traveling on their highway.

When I'd spend my week in Innsbruck (did it a few times), we'd do day trips to Garmish (via car) and then Salzburg via train. From Munich, you can do a trip to Konigsee (near Salzburg). It is an amazing alpine lake. Only row power or electric boats allowed. You can take a boat tour on the lake - a one point, the "captain" will sing, showing the fantastic acoustics around the lake - the echoes are so clear. There is a bobsled track right up against the Konigsee; in the summer there are wheeled bobsled rides!!! Salzburg is only about 40km from Konigsee.

Great information, thanks!

You are not leaving near enough time to see Venice. You won't be on the ship until noon, and undoubtedly will pause for lunch. There is sooo much to see of Venice, you can only dip your toe in, even with the overnight. Get a copy of Rick Steves' Venice guidebook, or get his Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. And when in Munich, your kids will surely want to drive to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof. That is a whole day, just on that trip. http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=287&extras=false

But personally, I would save Germany for another trip, and head straight for Venice. Set your kids to reading Donna Leon's Brunetti mysteries in the meantime. EM

You are not leaving near enough time to see Venice. You won't be on the ship until noon, and undoubtedly will pause for lunch. There is sooo much to see of Venice, you can only dip your toe in, even with the overnight. Get a copy of Rick Steves' Venice guidebook, or get his Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. And when in Munich, your kids will surely want to drive to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof. That is a whole day, just on that trip. http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=287&extras=false

But personally, I would save Germany for another trip, and head straight for Venice. Set your kids to reading Donna Leon's Brunetti mysteries in the meantime. EM

Thanks, Essiesmom. I was also wondering if I had left enough time for Venice.

My opinion is that adding in all that driving and you are setting yourself up for exhaustion before you even get on your port intensive cruise. I also think you are doing a lot of hit and run, and aren't leaving any time for exploring or time padding for the Inevitable kink in the plans. What you are suggesting offers zero flexibility. I would rethink some of it. My two cents.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

It's not easy or quick or inexpensive to get around Venice from the cruise port. I'd make sure i had a whole day to tour.

I like the suggestion to have a stay in Iceland too.

We took the Ali Laguna for a few bucks each to San Marco and then walked back through Venice. We did take a vapporetto down the Grand Canal just to do it, but didn't need to. If we hadn't had a pre-booked tour we were running late for due to coming into a different port, we would have walked the entire thing. You can easily get around Venice for free in foot power. It's just not that big of a place to need to do it any other way unless you are running late for something or just want to experience something, on top of that, walking is good for you, it burns off all of those calories!

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My opinion is that adding in all that driving and you are setting yourself up for exhaustion before you even get on your port intensive cruise. I also think you are doing a lot of hit and run, and aren't leaving any time for exploring or time padding for the Inevitable kink in the plans. What you are suggesting offers zero flexibility. I would rethink some of it. My two cents.

I agree.......You're going to need a little time to get over jet lag too. Maybe something a little less ambitious?? Otherwise, it's a wonderful cruise. Just be careful of pick-pockets in Barcelona........

I suggest you ask on Trip Advisor's Munich forum about your plans to have a rental car there. I am 95+% sure the locals will tell you about the agony of driving in the inner city on crowded narrow streets with unfamiliar street signs. Parking, if you can find it, will probably be 10-15 euros a day at your hotel, 2-4 euros an hour in a garage, or 20-30 euros a day in a garage. For your one day touring Munich, a car is absolutely the worst way to do it.

If you are going to drive in Munich's inner city, your car must have a "Umweltplakette" (emissions sticker). If your rented car doesn't have it, you will have to buy one.

I am 90+% sure locals will recommend that you go to Salzburg by train. There is a discounted ticket for this trip called a Bayern ticket, which I think would be 30 euros for your whole family round trip (perhaps less because children under 15 might get an even deeper discount). The Bayern ticket is also good for all public transport in Munich: S-Bahn, U-Bahn (metro), trams and city buses.

I think you might be much happier with a rental car just on the day you go to Switzerland.

I just returned from Munich, where we had a car and drove around for three days in and out of the city, plus other towns, with no problems at all (and none of us read or speak German).

Mostly because of the car we decided to stay at a hotel near the airport (NH Hotel, really nice and a great value) rather than downtown. There was no charge for parking and it was close enough to the highway for easy access but far enough not to have any traffic noise.

If there isn't a big drop off charge, you might consider simply driving from Munich to Venice as it's only about six hours of driving. Or you could make your trip to Salzburg a stop off on the drive from Munich to Venice.

Edited by euro cruiser

In reference to the language issue. My wife is the type that is uneasy when traveling out of the country. However I do remember her words back in May of 2004 when landing at the Frankfurt Airport. "I like thid airport... when I speak English they know what I am saying" As you can see Frankfurt is on her good list. Ordering breakfast at McDolalds"

Ein Egg McMuffin

Ein Koffee

Thats as far as I can get because they are now asking me if I wan sugar and cream. I know by saying NA SOOGAR I might get it black but I never figured out the word for cream. I just start talking plain english and the guy doing the order starts laughing. I have never had a communications problem in Germany because there is always someone around that can speak both German and English. If you are around an adult that does not know english just look around for young person. Lot of the young students know english but are afraid to use it. My favorite is "Ein Dunkel Bier! Just signal the person that you want a big one. (1/2 liter) Traveling Germany acturally becomes an adventure. Around every corner is something of interest. Try looking in the area of what is called "the ferrytale road". I can say this traveling Germany with a rental car with a GPS can be very beneficial. The GPS we had way back in 2005 lead us off the main road and around traffic tie ups. Interesting. I could go on and on with my German adventures but we are packing and tomarrow we leave on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. I'll still be thinking about those large German biers. Tim

We did a Venice to Barcelona cruise this past summer. Loved it.

If you have time, visit the island of Murano while in Venice. Wonderful glass stores and studios.

It's a lot of fun to just wander in Venice. To find a specific address can be tough, since the streets are small and confusing. But it's so much fun to wander Venice, and come upon amazing squares and churches.

I just returned from Munich, where we had a car and drove around for three days in and out of the city, plus other towns, with no problems at all (and none of us read or speak German).

Mostly because of the car we decided to stay at a hotel near the airport (NH Hotel, really nice and a great value) rather than downtown. There was no charge for parking and it was close enough to the highway for easy access but far enough not to have any traffic noise.

If there isn't a big drop off charge, you might consider simply driving from Munich to Venice as it's only about six hours of driving. Or you could make your trip to Salzburg a stop off on the drive from Munich to Venice.

That's exactly what I was going to post!!! Munich to Salzburg/Bertchegaden/Konigsee, drive to Venice. Some really nice scenery!!! And, multiple routes to choose from...

The trouble is there are so many possibilites and you would like to do everything. I can see you are adventurous so you can count on being back.

Iceland is fascinating and well worth a couple days.

I have spent five days in Venice so far and have just scratched the surface.

Driving in Europe is easy but you need to be alert. I agree that you may tire yourselves out before the cruise. Plan on going back on a longer road trip to explore. However driving from Munich to Venice with some stops would be great.

Thank you for continuing with the great advice. The last thing I want to do is tire and stress the family out before the cruise, so am thinking I will cut the time in Munich short and spend a couple of extra days in Venice. Still have a hankering to get into the Salzburg area. Any information from anyone who's taken the train there and back from Munich? Cost? Pretty scenery? Fairy tale castles visible along the way?

Friends did this last week while we were in Munich; they didn't say much about the scenery but said it was easy to do (they were staying at the Marriott a couple of blocks from the main train station in Munich).

The train takes between one and a half and two hours and costs anywhere from 22 Euro (advance purchase savings fare) to 35 Euro (each way).

The German rail web site is very easy to use: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Edited by euro cruiser