First Caribbean Cruise, no excursions plan ok??

Lambo62

Hi all,

We are planning our second cruise. First was to Med a couple years ago for a special anniversary, and this will be our first to the western Caribbean on the Dawn in Feb.

Our med cruise was very port intensive and we did a lot of planning and had several private tours booked. It was an amazing cruise and we got to see so much. For this cruise my wife says she just wants to relax and not plan port excursions. Will we be missing out? I am not sure if I want to book a beach club, because if we wanted to do that we would just do an all inclusive resort, and seems like a waste since we already paid for ship perks. or is it?

Are there others out there that just go to the Caribbean to just relax? Are there must see's and do's like when we went to Rome etc? I am curious how experienced crusers feel about just lounging about when in the Caribbean.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lambo

If you were doing an Eastern itinerary, I would say sure - just go with the flow. However, since you're planning a Western itinerary, I would urge you to do some browsing around in the Ports-of-call section of this site, and read peoples thoughts on each port. Several of those ports are in rather undeveloped countries, and could prove a bit challenging in that regard.

We did the same cruise last February. We only booked an excursion in Belize. We walked around Costa Maya, plenty to see and do. Roatan had little to do at the port, so we just went right back onto the ship. Cozumel had plenty to do lots of shopping. We felt we had a wonderful time!

We love the ship, and it is even better when it is not busy when all are at the ports!:p

Sorry I didn't look up your itinerary, but it depends on the ports for DH & I. It's common for us to book 1, sometimes 2, excursions on a Caribbean cruise. I enjoy history & culture. If I find a good excursion highlighting those, we book it. We're not that into water related excursions, because we live near the Gulf & have a vacation home on the Atlantic in N Miami. We're also not nature enthusiasts. For ports that are mostly about the water or nature in general, we take our time getting off the ship, then walk around socializing with locals. We've made some great memories doing this. Any port that doesn't have a safe town near the dock really requires an excursion, unless you're okay with only being off the ship for an hour or so & browsing the dock area. We've done that too, but we're very laidback tourist. :p Enjoy your cruise!

ETA: I see RIvacationgirl listed your ports. We haven't done that itinerary yet, but it's on our short list. Her advice sounds good. That's similar to what DH & I would do, if our DS wasn't with us. He likes more excitement.

Edited by tarheelmjfan

Hi all,

We are planning our second cruise. First was to Med a couple years ago for a special anniversary, and this will be our first to the western Caribbean on the Dawn in Feb.

Our med cruise was very port intensive and we did a lot of planning and had several private tours booked. It was an amazing cruise and we got to see so much. For this cruise my wife says she just wants to relax and not plan port excursions. Will we be missing out? I am not sure if I want to book a beach club, because if we wanted to do that we would just do an all inclusive resort, and seems like a waste since we already paid for ship perks. or is it?

Are there others out there that just go to the Caribbean to just relax? Are there must see's and do's like when we went to Rome etc? I am curious how experienced crusers feel about just lounging about when in the Caribbean.

Lambo

We don't plan our excursions ahead of time too much. Mostly we just make our plans as we go unless it is a special excursion. If you wish to snorkel at a specific port you might want to reserve ahead of time.

This plan has worked well for us. Sometimes we arrive at a port and decide we would like to do something and usually no problem signing up. We also enjoy simply going into port when the lines have thinned down and stroll around and have a fun lunch before heading back to enjoy the ship when it's not as busy.

We have done many a Caribbean cruise and it's our opinion that the ports have more in common than not. And we look very forward to having the ship to ourselves while everyone else is in port. Because we are in cold snowy Canada the warm sun and ship is our get away to relax read and just do nothing!

Thanks so much for the quick replies, we too are from Canada, and are just looking for a bit of a break from the winter. Sounds like for the most part wandering off and exploring the ports a bit would suit us just fine. I may sign up for a snorkeling excursion, but my wife is not into that...thanks again

Thanks so much for the quick replies, we too are from Canada, and are just looking for a bit of a break from the winter. Sounds like for the most part wandering off and exploring the ports a bit would suit us just fine. I may sign up for a snorkeling excursion, but my wife is not into that...thanks again

Have to agree with the person who recommended an excursion in Belize. First reason is that there are many great things to see and do there. We've been twice and have had great excursions both times and still want to return for the cave tubing.

Second reason is that is not safe to venture out of the port area there. We were told this on our first visit in 2007 by HAL. Then in 2012 on the Dawn, the excursions that went into the city were canceled due to some pretty gruesome gang violence that took place the day before we arrived.

We love Belize and all the people we've met out on the excursions have been wonderful.

I'd say take an excursion there if no where else.

Not sure I would be going out of the port on my own in belize rest of the ports should be fine though as stated before not a lot going on in roatan

What date you going in feb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roatan is, IMO, the best port on a western itinerary. Such a shame to miss out on this beautiful island. The Honduran people are some of the friendliest I have met in the whole region and there is a LOT to see in Roatan outside of the docking area. For what it's worth, Roatan is the only port on that itinerary that I would consider returning to on a land-based vacation [likely with the Honduran mainland added in for more excitement]. If you want to do a tour, I recommend Victor Bodden tours as we had a great experience with them and the prices are VERY reasonable compared to ship-run tours.

I agree that an organized excursion is a good idea in Belize if for no other reason that it is a tendering port and the most interesting sites are quite far from the port. Also, Belize is the most noticeably "third-world' of the 4 ports of call so some feel safer in organized groups [i must point out that I personally did not feel in danger but have heard others mention this].

Cozumel is very touristy so there is a lot to do but most of it does not feel very authentically Mexican. Costa Maya is close to Mahahual which is worth while to visit as the port itself is just tourist shops. Mahahual has a bit more of an authentic feel to it but street vendors still abound.

If you stay on the ship in Roatan you are really missing out. Yes, you do have to leave the port area :rolleyes: but it is an absolutely beautiful place. The beaches on the west end are amazing.

AGREED! :D

West Bay Beach is lovely. I could spend all day there.

Hi all,

Lambo

Everybody has a different situation.

We are retired and live on coastal Georgia, so going on a cruise to relax is the last thing on our minds. We can relax at home.

The number one purpose in going on a cruise is to visit different ports. I can understand why someone who is still working and wants to relax or lives in a cold climate like Canada and looks forward to the warm Caribbean.

What you might do is mix it up, go off the ship, even take an excursion, but no long all day trips.

Hi all,

Lambo

what works for one doesn't always work for another, but I think you are missing the boat (no pun intended) if you do no shore excursions. No, you don't have to do one in every port, you can also get off the ship and just hire a taxi to take you around town or go together with another couple and do something, but I think you will find the cruise a little disappointing if you do nothing but relax on board. Have you joined a roll call group? If you do that, you might get some ideas about what others are doing. Not knowing what ports you will be hitting makes it a little hard to judge, but I know, if I were doing Roatan I would not miss the snorkeling for starters. There are also some pretty neat things to do in Cozumel. I agree about the all inclusives: we have done that twice, it was nice, but yes, you can just stay of the ship and get about the same.

Not sure I would be going out of the port on my own in belize rest of the ports should be fine though as stated before not a lot going on in roatan

What date you going in feb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree: Belize is one port we do not do anything anymore. We enjoy the relaxed, not busy ship on Belize days.

Sounds like you are doing the same itinerary we did on the Star last Feb. We booked just a week before the cruise so didn't have time to plan excursions. Our "plan" was to just walk off the ship and see what we could book in port -- also much less expensive than booking onboard.

Here's what we ended up doing -

Costa Maya - I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the port here has everything you need for sun and relaxation just a few steps from the ship.

Small beach (no swimming - it's rocky) with little "tiki-huts" for shade and lounge chairs, huge beautiful pool with swim up bar and lots of lounge chairs, shops and a couple restaurants (though you could easily go back on the ship to eat and come back out to the beach), a tower to climb for a view of the surrounding area, guys dressed in Mayan costumes/paint for fun photo op, beach cabana massage station. Best thing is that the pool/beach area is free! There is also some kind of museum within walking distance inside the port. We just hung out under a tiki hut, read, swam in the pool, climbed the tower and wandered around a bit. Only things we paid for were a tip to the Mayan guys after taking photos, a beach cabana massage and a donation to an animal conservancy group in return for having photos taken holding a baby lion.

Roatan - Booked a tour at a kiosk in port (there are tons of these), they put us together with 3 other couples in a van with a guide for a tour of the island, a stop at the iguana farm and then beach time at a lovely beach with loungers/umbrellas. It was $20 pp plus admission to the iguana farm and tip for driver and guide.

Belize - we had decided ahead of time that we would like to do the cave tubing but didn't want to pay the ship's price, walked off the ship and found someone with a sign for cave tubing, paid half of what the ship charges and was on the same bus w/the NCL group! Get off the ship early if you want to do this as the buses all leave at about the same time. It really doesn't matter what group you go with -- they all go to the same place. Highly recommended excursion - got to see some of the countryside, hike through the jungle, tube through several caves and then down the river through jungle to landing spot. Also included nice Belizian lunch (though I found the mac/cheese on the buffet to be funny). Cost - $50 pp plus tip.

Cozumel - we have been there before and enjoyed the snorkeling so booked a tour at the dock, found that the snorkeling has gone downhill since we were last there, if you want to just have a quiet day on the ship, this would be a good port for that, unless you take a taxi to a beach there isn't much in Cozumel other than a lot of touristy shopping.

So, you could do pure relaxation days in Costa Maya and Cozumel but I'd recommend some type of excursion in Roatan and Belize. They really are amazing places that you don't want to miss.

What does your spouse consider "relaxing?" Staying on ship? Wandering the ports? Grabbing an excursion at the dock?

For us, getting off the ship and picking from among a bunch of tours we haven't researched is stressful for us.

I agree that Cozumel is a "no plan needed" port. Get off leisurely, shop, have some food/drink and head back to the ship.

Belize is ok if you just want to tender off the boat to have drinks at a crowded restaurant and hit 2-3 shops. Otherwise, I'd at least research what to do there.

Roatan, as others have said, is a beautiful island. I recommend a relaxing beach day. Might want to scope out recommended beaches/transportation on the CC boards.

Costa Maya, IMHO, is a personal choice whether to bother doing anything. Heading to Tropicante is a low cost, enjoyable way to relax that wouldn't require planning ahead.

We have done many a Caribbean cruise and it's our opinion that the ports have more in common than not. And we look very forward to having the ship to ourselves while everyone else is in port.

Exactly this!

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide!

We will be doing your cruise over Thanksgiving. I have done it before and am doing much of it again. The South Beach and River Boat + Zoo are favorites, would not miss them. These I booked thru NCL for early off the ship. Costa Maya, I have heard FANTASTIC reviews about Maya Chan and can't wait to get there. This I booked myself, not available thru NCL. When I get back I will post here.

Thanks so much for the replies. I think it is official, we will plan something for Rototan and Belize and play it by ear for the other Ports. We haven't been to any, so wandering around Costa Maya and Cozumel is ok.

Thanks again

Do you enjoy history? Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen has some ruins(Tulum) that are very interesting.

You mentioned you wanted to do some snorkeling....I HIGHLY recommend Victor Bodden Tours, and snorkeling the "Blue Channel". You will not be disappointed.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!:)