Does Champagne count as 2 bottles we can bring?

Champagne is wine. Sparkling wine. As a matter of fact, 99% (I made that up! ;)) of what passengers will carry on board IS sparkling wine and NOT Champagne.

Anything labeled champagne should be from Champagne, France, and is an Appellation d'origine contrôlée. Most countries signed the treaty that makes this so.

Naturally, the U.S. refused to sign the treaty, and it is legal to call sparkling wine made in the U.S. champagne, although it is not. :)

I believe Champagne has to come from two places within the champagne district Epernay and Reims. There is a lot of French sparkling wine that looks and tastes like Champagne but isn't.

Most American producers have a relationship with French producers (and Argentinian, and Chilean, etc,) and will almost never call their product champagne, although they may refer to the method of Champagne.

jc

Champagne is wine. Sparkling wine. As a matter of fact, 99% (I made that up! ;)) of what passengers will carry on board IS sparkling wine and NOT Champagne.

Anything labeled champagne should be from Champagne, France, and is an Appellation d'origine contrôlée. Most countries signed the treaty that makes this so.

Naturally, the U.S. refused to sign the treaty, and it is legal to call sparkling wine made in the U.S. champagne, although it is not. :)

Laws change. This law has been accepted recently by the American administration. However traditional makers of sparkling wine in the US who made this kind of wine before the administration accepted the European law can still call their wine Champagne. But new sparkling wine in the US cannot wear the name Champagne on the label any more.

Anything labeled champagne should be from Champagne, France, and is an Appellation d'origine contrôlée.

We should not write so that it is possible for the reader to understand us, but so that it is impossible for him to misunderstand us. -Quintilian (Marcus Fabius Quintilianus)

:D:D Is that why you're writing in French?? :D:D

We should not write so that it is possible for the reader to understand us, but so that it is impossible for him to misunderstand us. -Quintilian (Marcus Fabius Quintilianus)

mais oui!

Laws change. This law has been accepted recently by the American administration. However traditional makers of sparkling wine in the US who made this kind of wine before the administration accepted the European law can still call their wine Champagne. But new sparkling wine in the US cannot wear the name Champagne on the label any more.

Thanks for clearing that up as we have once again received inaccurate info (by one syllable) from someone who shall remain nameless. :rolleyes:

Personally, I have no problem with that. :D:D

Edited by frenchrci

Missouri??? WINE?????? :eek:

Actually back in the 1880s Missouri was the largest by volume producer of wine in the USA. The first American Viticultural Area (AVA) is Augusta, Missouri. A lovely little town about 30 minutes west of St Louis on the Missouri River.

jc

That's fascinating.

It is unfortunate that no one sent me the news when the new law was passed.

:D

When I read the comment about inaccurate info, I thought I knew who you were referring to. It never occured to me you meant MM. I can not believe someone is attacking MM for posting inaccurate info! :mad: She posts so much and has helped so many, I would not be upset if she was wrong about something. As you said, laws change. Why insult someone who has done nothing but try to help others? :confused: You should apologize.