Check before going for lower cruise prices!

TN Vol Fan

Just checked out the lowered prices for our Mar. 2014 Silhouette cruise to the Caribbean. Yes, they did go down BUT after checking with X, we would loose our OBC as well as a drink package perk. Decided to pass on the lower prices and keep our extra perks.

I'm not complaining, just warning newer CC folks to check before getting excited about a "lower" cruise price. If you have no X perks, go for the new prices, but do the math and see if it's worth it to change and loose benefits.

This is the system in place- book when you are comfortable with the price. If you get in on a promotion, all the better. But don't cry about how you can't get the lower prices and keep all your perks!

See you on the waves.

Boy, are you preaching to the choir! :p

For several months, we've had a particular cabin (that we really want) booked on next September's "Ultimate Alaska" Solstice cruise. Right after we booked, the price went up on our cabin -- and NO price drops, except for one small Captains' Club savings certificate, that we were able to get applied, early on.

Well, when this Thanksgiving Loyalty promo came out, I went to X's "new & improved website", and tried doing dummy bookings. In-putting the exact same information, I got three different results, in a 48-hour period! :eek:

Finally DH called the Captains' Club to see if they could run the numbers, and get us a better price on the same cabin. It took a while, but through a very convoluted process, we were able to get a slightly better price. However, the folks on our roll-call (many of whom paid higher prices for their cabins) reported that they could not take advantage of the new promo -- without losing their 1-2-3 booking perk (which we did not have).

I really miss the "good old days" when price-drops and OBC were straight-forward, and you could combine any that you found for your cruise. :rolleyes:

Just a bit more info - we have several cruises booked out to next December. Before this Thanksgiving promo started there was a price drop on one of the cruises. No problem, I called & got the price drop and it did not affect the 1,2,3 package. However, I was told you cannot get 2 different promos. If you go for the Thanksgiving Loyalty, you will loose the 1,2,3 promo. Right now I have had several issues on the Celebrity site - I cannot even find 2 of the cruises. Even if I do find the cruise, it is difficult to find the actual base price for comparison. I'm thinking I'll just have to wait until after this promo to check.

When we booked our Summit and then got the 123promo we lost our OBC for booking onboard. That was a no brainer since we took the bev pkg. But they also told me that we would not be able to take advantage of many price discounts w/o losing the bev promo, which was fine. Now I am REALLY fine with it as our cruise as skyrocketed in price since we booked it. Never going to go down below what we paid, so we ended up with a fantastic bargain to get the price we did as well as the bev pkg promo.

CAROLE,

Today I noticed that I could get a C1 on my August Bermuda cruise for the price that I paid for my C3. I inquired about shifting to the C1, but I would lose my OBC, premium beverage package (upgraded by my TA, so I'd lose the whole thing) and maybe my prepaid gratuities (I can't remember if I'd lose that or not). At any rate it wasn't worth it and I'll happily stay where I am. OTOH I'll keep monitoring prices and I'll keep checking w/ my TA if I can take advantage of it or not. I'm prepared that I probably won't be able to, but who knows? I may be pleasantly surprised.

We came out ahead with the Thanksgiving 15% off our next cruise, but had to give up our 123 choice leaving us with only TA OBC. Can we now get stock credit from Celebrity? That would help ease the pain of losing 123.

Similar situation for us but it worked out. The price we originally got from our TA plus his OBC and the 123 promo is now $900 less than the current special pricing program. Always pays to book as early as possible.

When we booked our Summit and then got the 123promo we lost our OBC for booking onboard. That was a no brainer since we took the bev pkg. But they also told me that we would not be able to take advantage of many price discounts w/o losing the bev promo, which was fine. Now I am REALLY fine with it as our cruise as skyrocketed in price since we booked it. Never going to go down below what we paid, so we ended up with a fantastic bargain to get the price we did as well as the bev pkg promo.

Same with me. My cabin category went up $450/person with no promos after I booked with the 123 GO promo. I doubt if the price will go below what I paid for my cabin.

My question was whether we can now get OBC for our stock since we are not getting any other "perk" such as 123. Thanks

You're still getting the Thanksgiving 15% off promo so I'm thinking you could not get your OBC from your stock. With all the promos in & out, we haven't been able to get our stock OBC in several years. But I would certainly call and ask- maybe you'll be lucky!

Maybe if they add Elite levels to the Captain's Club, using that stock OBC may be a perk that wouldn't cost them too much- but that's a different topic.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one sticking with the better perks instead of the current % off the fare.

Good luck to everyone trying to get a better price.

When we were on Equinox in April we booked the same cruise and AQ cabin for next year. We received $200 OBC. When the 1-2-3 promotion came out during the summer I called and was able to get $100 additional OBC = $300 OBC. I called the other day when I saw a drop in the fare and was informed that I would loose my OBC. :eek:

No one told me that when I went from the $200 OBC from booking on board to the $300 1-2-3 promo that I would no longer be able to get any additional price drops or I wouldn't have gone with the 1-2-3 promo. The price of the cabin when we booked was way more than we have ever paid but I knew the price would eventually drop with senior or resident rates.

Live and learn. :mad:

It seems like Celebrity is a bit behind the times, many other cruiselines give OBC or price drop guarantee, if you should book early and the price drops. Why should an early booker be penalized and a last minutetraveler rewarded? If Carnival, Royal and Princess provide OBC for rate drops, why can't Celebrity. The lesson to be learned is that the tardy to the party is the way to go with Celebrity.

My question was whether we can now get OBC for our stock since we are not getting any other "perk" such as 123. Thanks

I think that you could. A 15% off price isn't an OBC. It can't hurt to put in for it, the worst they will say is you can keep your price or get the OBC....worth seeing.

Thanks,

Jennifer

It seems like Celebrity is a bit behind the times, many other cruiselines give OBC or price drop guarantee, if you should book early and the price drops. Why should an early booker be penalized and a last minutetraveler rewarded? If Carnival, Royal and Princess provide OBC for rate drops, why can't Celebrity. The lesson to be learned is that the tardy to the party is the way to go with Celebrity.

No cruiselines offer price reductions post final payment, except for Carnival's Early Saver program.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to put in for the stock OBC and see what happens.I wonder if another 123 will be offered that we can get even if we took the 15% off. We'll see.

Depends on the price code attached to the 15% off. If it's the same code as 123 is offered under, you'd be able to get it. If not, no dice.

I just applied for my shareholder credit for december for Oasis, even though I too am not sure they'll do it, I figured, why not! lol

I have actually changed my booking twice already for my cruise next year. I first had a booking that was done during a preview and had an OBC. Then, Celebrity had a Balcony sale. I lost the OBC, but my new rate was still way lower than I had initially paid, so it was worth it to give up the OBC. Then, they came out with the 1,2,3 offer. My cabin actually went up $10 pp, but I got the free drinks.

I doubt that anything will change to make fare go down anymore, but you never know.