"Do Not Sail" Status?

RumRunner01

Not much new info yet... I found out which person within the cabin has the issue. She was on the phone with Carnival last night regarding the situation. I am trying to find out from the bachelorette what the problem was and when I hear back I will post more. But apparently the bachelorette knew a little history of what happened after she was notified of the issue. Hopefully I'll know more tonight or tomorrow.

I vote no on this one..

Trust me, as a government worker - we would let them sail BECAUSE it would give us a chance to pick them up.

Whenever I read about this, its always people getting caught coming back. I guess they have nowhere to go once on board after the last port. If they wanted to (or we're really that bent), they could probably skip out at an international port, but I have yet to read of that happening.

I'd really like to read some (accurate) stories of how these people are getting kicked-off/banned.

Edited by seannyice81

Whenever I read about this, its always people getting caught coming back. I guess they have nowhere to go once on board after the last port. If they wanted to (or we're really that bent), they could probably skip out at an international port, but I have yet to read of that happening.

I'd really like to read some (accurate) stories of how these people are getting kicked-off/banned.

Most are warrants for things like child support, minor criminal offenses etc.. not exactly the type of thing one would flee the country for (and stay off at the last port )...

That said , serious or dangerous "wanted" folks...ARE picked up prior to sailing.

Several years ago, the Coast Guard intercepted the ship out of JAX while still in the St. John's river and took off a guest with a warrant for murder. As to getting banned, several years ago, a member here was banned...She and her older teen son had sailed with a friend of the son, at least 19y/o. During the cruise, he was found clinging to something off the stern and threatening to jump. The captain finally talked him inside. He was confined to the cabin and they were put off at the next port. The boy lived with his granny and they had to call her for money for the air ticket home. She was quite happy to be put off, because she was afraid he would try something else while onboard. They had known the boy for many years, and had no idea he had a problem. It seems that he had been on medication, but had recently stopped. (My suspicion is that he had aged out of whatever insurance he was on and granny couldn't afford to pay for it.). EM

Could one of them have an outstanding warrant?

homeland security runs all cruisers through the state and national criminal database to check for outstanding warrants.. subjects with outstanding warrants are subject to arrest ... I have never heard of any one being arrested before sailing, but many on returning on return to the U.S.

I have read on other threads of people violating the cruiselines conduct policies that resulted in their removal from the ship. Usually but not always, once you get kicked off of a cruise for violating the lines conduct policies you are placed on that lines "do not cruise" list. Basically you are banned from sailing on any of that lines ships. If the violation involved breaking of a law or resulted in any monetary damages a person can be banned for life.

In those types of cases a cruiseline will share that info with other cruiselines resulting in being put on different lines "do not sail" list.

I'm not inferring that this is the case on this thread with the OP's friend, just putting the info out there.

Could be as simple as someone else who has the same name is really banned.

I know of a news story that a 6 year old was denied boarding a plane at the airport because his name was on a Do not fly list. So the family missed the flight while TSA had to figure out that the child was not an international terrorist.

Wow, this is good to know!

I have read on other threads of people violating the cruiselines conduct policies that resulted in their removal from the ship. Usually but not always, once you get kicked off of a cruise for violating the lines conduct policies you are placed on that lines "do not cruise" list. Basically you are banned from sailing on any of that lines ships. If the violation involved breaking of a law or resulted in any monetary damages a person can be banned for life.

In those types of cases a cruiseline will share that info with other cruiselines resulting in being put on different lines "do not sail" list.

I'm not inferring that this is the case on this thread with the OP's friend, just putting the info out there.

Ok, all you enquiring minds... I finally have the update.

So, the bachelorette was booked in a cabin with her maid of honor. It was the maid of honor with the Do Not Sail status. Apparently the maid of honor was put on the list 5 or 6 years ago when she was sailing with the (now) bachelorette and her family on a Carnival cruise. I do not know why she was put on this status, the bachelorette said she needed to keep the reason private. However, the issue occured the night before the last day of the cruise and the maid of honor was put on watch by Carnival for the entire last day of the cruise. The Maid of Honor was not told she was "banned" from cruising and she was never formally informed of being on the Do Not Sail status. She had no idea she was banned. She even still gets regular communications from Carnival.

Unfortunately I do not have details on the actual event that caused the Do Not Sail status, but now I know the who and that she didn't even know she was banned.

So, the bachelorette was booked in a cabin with her maid of honor. It was the maid of honor with the Do Not Sail status. Apparently the maid of honor was put on the list 5 or 6 years ago when she was sailing with the (now) bachelorette and her family on a Carnival cruise. I do not know why she was put on this status, the bachelorette said she needed to keep the reason private. However, the issue occured the night before the last day of the cruise and the maid of honor was put on watch by Carnival for the entire last day of the cruise. The Maid of Honor was not told she was "banned" from cruising and she was never formally informed of being on the Do Not Sail status. She had no idea she was banned. She even still gets regular communications from Carnival.

Unfortunately I do not have details on the actual event that caused the Do Not Sail status, but now I know the who and that she didn't even know she was banned.

Thanks for coming back to update.

So are you still going on the cruise or picking one she is allowed on?

Must be not pretty if they don't want to discuss it.:o

I am not sure if she was locked in her room. I didn't think to ask that. It seemed like maybe they had security keep a eye on her frequently.

As for the date of the cruise, a decision will be made by the end of next week to decide whether to cruise and maid of honor does not go or if we cancel the cruise and do something else the maid of honor can go on.

Amy Olson

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...
Could be as simple as someone else who has the same name is really banned.

I know of a news story that a 6 year old was denied boarding a plane at the airport because his name was on a Do not fly list. So the family missed the flight while TSA had to figure out that the child was not an international terrorist.

I know there is someone in California with the same first, middle and last name as myself and we both cruise Carnival. The only saving grace is they are just a bit older than I am (only a year). I only figured that out when the new VIP numbers came out and their history and mine were mixed in together. I should of kept my mouth shut I could of been a milestone member. Instead of Gold...