3 day cruise to Ensenada - Passport Requirements

darnoc23

Hello,

Hopefully someone can provide some options. We've reserved a 3 day cruise to Ensenada for this month. Unfortunately, my wife and mother's passport have expired. They're both non US citizens but have a valid green card. The expired passports are their Phillippine passports and will take 6 - 8 weeks. I'm informed that for US citizens, if it's a closed loop cruise, passport is not required just a photo ID and birth certificate. Are their similar options for non U.S. citizens? My wife and mom can stay at the ship during the Ensenada port if that's also an option.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I have contacted Princess and got different answers. If I look at the actual policy is states that Permanent Resident need only their permanent resident card. Then at the bottom, it says that All Non US Citizens require a passport. Here's the verbiage from Princess' site:

U.S. citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or �closed-loop� voyages may also travel with an original certified Birth Certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. In the event the names on these documents do not match due to a name change, please ensure to present appropriate legal documentation to support the name change. In this case, the name on the booking should match the name on the valid government-issued photo identification.

U.S. domestic roundtrip sailings must embark and disembark in the same U.S. port. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle Cruisetours excluded)

Canada/New England roundtrip from New York

Caribbean roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, New York or San Juan

Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles

Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

Panama Canal roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale or Los Angeles

Please be aware that even if your cruise does not require a passport to sail, in the event of an emergency should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the cruise, a passport would be required to disembark the ship in a foreign country and re-enter the U.S. by air. We therefore strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a valid passport.

d) U.S. Permanent Residents are required to present a valid permanent resident document. See below for acceptable documents:

Permanent Resident Card (ARC/I-55 card)

Temporary ARC/I-55 card and valid government issued photo identification

Expired ARC/I-55 card and form I-797 and valid government issued photo identification

Passport with �ARC� stamp in the passport

Hi, I have contacted Princess and got different answers. If I look at the actual policy is states that Permanent Resident need only their permanent resident card. Then at the bottom, it says that All Non US Citizens require a passport. Here's the verbiage from Princess' site:

d) U.S. Permanent Residents are required to present a valid permanent resident document. See below for acceptable documents:

Permanent Resident Card (ARC/I-55 card)

Temporary ARC/I-55 card and valid government issued photo identification

Expired ARC/I-55 card and form I-797 and valid government issued photo identification

Passport with �ARC� stamp in the passport

I read that as saying a current permanent resident card is all that is needed. A passport with an ARC stamp is an alternative.

However, I agree with others. Check with Princvess.

Edited by caribill

You will also need valid passports in addition to the Green card.

You are misreading the section. It does not say that an LPR needs ONLY the green card, it says that LPRs must present their green card, or equivalent. That means in addition to whatever travel docs are required. In the same section, just below the green card statement it also says:

Non-US/Non-Canadian Passport Holders: A valid passport is required for all non-US and non-Canadian citizens for all itineraries.

The green card will, on its own, get them back INTO the US. It will not get them on the ship and out of the country, however. Best advice is to see if you can get an in-person expedited renewed passport.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for posting their responses/recommendation. We just got back from our cruise and thankfully my wife and mom was able to join us without their passport. I'm posting this in case anyone else would have a similar situation for the Ensenada cruise. I contacted Princess before the cruise and was informed that for permanent residents all they need is their green card. However, passports are always the recommended documentation in the event of an emergency and needed to fly out from Mexico. So the verbiage that I pasted in the earlier thread was correct according to princess. Also the representative informed me that the online application when entering each passenger profile will inform me of any additional information needed. So all in all, the embarkation and disembarkation went pretty smooth documentation wise. Passport was never asked for my mom and wife. We were at the 3 day cruise of the Golden Princess.

Thanks everyone for posting their responses/recommendation. We just got back from our cruise and thankfully my wife and mom was able to join us without their passport. I'm posting this in case anyone else would have a similar situation for the Ensenada cruise. I contacted Princess before the cruise and was informed that for permanent residents all they need is their green card. However, passports are always the recommended documentation in the event of an emergency and needed to fly out from Mexico. So the verbiage that I pasted in the earlier thread was correct according to princess. Also the representative informed me that the online application when entering each passenger profile will inform me of any additional information needed. So all in all, the embarkation and disembarkation went pretty smooth documentation wise. Passport was never asked for my mom and wife. We were at the 3 day cruise of the Golden Princess.

Thanks for the info... always great to get information "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak...:)

Yes, I was just told by my TA that our 7 month old granddaughter, could sail with us on a 3 day Ensenada cruise in Jan., with her birth certificate.

We chose not to do it because if there were an emergency we could not fly out of Mexico. She is getting a passport after Christmas. :)

Pat