Why do NCL favour US clients, no upgrades for lowly UK passengers. Annoyed :(

lara_lox

I frequently read on here great stories from those of you in the US saying how you managed to upgrade your cabin. For example there is a current post about how a lady was her own Upgrade Fairy - she called up NCL and because a higher grade cabin was actually cheaper than her original, she got upgraded. Or people have the opportunity to pay slightly more but for a much better cabin. Obviously that's great news and makes clients very pleased with NCL customer service.

Well I decided to give this a try as that is now the case for me. I originally booked an inside guarantee stateroom as this was an unexpected cruise I hadn't budgeted for, and I am fine with whatever cabin I get. However on the UK NCL website, it now costs less to book a mid ship oceanview and only slightly more for a mid ship balcony, than I paid for my guarantee inside. The sailing has a lot of cabins available and they are obviously attempting to fill them by dropping the prices.

The NCL rep I spoke to said I am not allowed to upgrade to an oceanview, because they have to 'maintain the price of my booking.' He just kept repeating that to me when I asked him (politely!) to explain what that means and why I cannot upgrade (even with payment) when I know there are plenty of those cabins free. He would only let me change to a balcony but still paying significantly more than if I were to create a new booking online.

I understand that I was just pushing my luck, I paid what I was happy to at the time and don't expect I should get upgraded just because the prices dropped, but what really annoys me is that this does not seem to be the case in the US. It should be one standard rule for everyone, not different treatment depending on where you live. To me it gives the impression that NCL value their US clients more. Anyway, it's not often I rant on here, so thanks for bearing with me and letting me vent!

Edited by lara_lox

Wow, I wonder whether it might be worth another try, speaking to a different person, or even going up the ladder and speaking with a supervisor. I have read that some things are different between the US and UK but I can't believe that from a customer support perspective, that this option doesn't exist.

Good Luck Lara, I always enjoy your trips and look forward to your review from an unscheduled cruise!

It should be one standard rule for everyone, not different treatment depending on where you live. To me it gives the impression that NCL value their US clients more.

I completely understand where you are coming from.

While it does seem that it should be the same, that cannot actually be the case. As you probably know, there are laws in effect in your country that regulate travel providers and also provide protections to UK citizens when booking travel. These laws and protections are not in place for US Citizens (actually for all non-UK Citizens).

It is because of these laws that NCL must treat people differently...they simply have to abide by the laws of the countries where they do business.

We see the same thing quite often when NCL runs contests as the Canadians must be excluded...again, because of their laws. Every time there is a contest, we see posts from Canadians stating that the contest is "unfair" because they are excluded, etc

The only thing to do is either live within the limitations set by your laws....or work to have them changed.

I've seen similar posts from UK passengers & understand the frustration but I thought I read somewhere that you get benefits (by law) that we don't get? If so, that's probably the reason for the differences in policies & pricing.

NCL isn't the only cruise line that has different rules for the UK, RCCL does as well.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=759

This article answers some of the why questions that there is a difference. Did your UK cruise package include airfare and hotel? The cruise line is then very limited in what pricing they can offer to preserve the costs of air fare and hotel.

I hadn't seen that article before, interesting read, thank you. And no, I didn't book any kind of package, just a straight forward cruise-only with NCL directly.

I agree Lara, we booked cruise only direct with NCL and it is frustrating.

I completely understand that NCL charge a slight premium for the ABTA protection that they have to provide by law, but I can't understand how that regulation prevents upgrades at the current (often lower) prices offered.

Interestingly if we book a hotel holiday in Spain (covered by the same regulations) we can, between booking and check-in, upgrade room/board details based on the current prices. Last time we did they we paid for an upgraded sea view room for half the price it was originally offered (on the same booking) as there were some rooms available. This happens quite frequently actually (I love a sea view room).

I don't think any UK passenger is asking for the right to rebook on a lower price, that's the chance you take when you buy any service/product. However, the same "rights" to upgrade our rooms (where available), even if it inlcudes an administration charge, should be available for all passengers regardless of point of origin.

Just book through the US. NCL have no problem with people doing that.

Sometimes the UK prices are cheaper especially for the Jade and Spirit, but often the US are cheaper especially for the suites.

Exactly this. Latter sentence applies to NCL's German (EU) office too.

Besides the pricing, because of the different terms and conditions between US and EU offices, I have never used EU office to book the cruises I've taken (I had booked a cruise on Dawn in 2005 through a local TA but had to cancel, did get my deposit back though so either the EU T&C were different back then or they have different policies to TAs booking through them).

How many days out is your cruise? Many people in the U.S. also don't have luck trying to upgrade when you are within 90 days of sailing. I know from personal experience. Yes, it's frustrating when you read of others doing it and it feels unfair, but like you, I understand that I booked what I was happy with originally.

USA also have the advantage that their deposits are refundable, ours - are not - and the minute we pay the deposit - we lose it if we cancel. yes we are covered by ABTA - but we do pay for this AND we cannot travel without travel insurance (and certainly not without a passport)

Lara - you could try this:

Years ago on NCL, we were very naive with cruising, and paid way over the odds. Like you, we called them - and were given a load of faffle. Prices were being advertised for our cruise WAY below what we had paid.

On boarding, I asked to see the Chief Purser (I dont know what todays equivalent is?) - he saw me before we sailed.

I went to him, very well dressed, astute and well prepared. I presented my case to him. I had copies of my invoice, and copies of prices leading up to sail date. I said that I felt very let down - and that we should not be paying more than anyone else.

I asked him what could be done.

We had booked a family cabin -

The purser asked me to hold out until the ship sailed, and that he would come back to me.

Result!! He offered us a nearby inside cabin for our daughter, for free -

On top of that, we went on to be invited not only to various cocktail parties, but we all dined at the Captains Table - it was an awesome first NCL cruise experience.

If I were you, I wouldn't back down. I would call NCL back and ask for a supervisor/manager. Gather your facts before you call, be prepared to email them prices etc - have a look around the cruise UK agency sites, see what they are offering.

And if this fails, try my approach on board.

Good luck - You're a smart girl - stand your ground!

On another note - if you travel more than twice per year, you should look at your bank. I use Royal Bank of Scotland - (is HSB the English equivalent? whatever there will be an English affiliated bank). I have a Royalites Gold account - which costs £12 per month to service. It gives free travel insurance for anyone travelling with me, and - no matter what deal you find, an automatic 10% discount. I booked my NCL cruise via them - and automatic 10% off the NCL price (that includes any incentive NCL are offering), worth checking out for future reference.

Edited by Blondie008

Just to add to my own 2 cent to this. NCL UK are a disaster, spent 2 weeks arguing a refund from them for price drop outside 90 days before final payment. When I complained they said I should be going through EU (I thought UK was head office) So I went through EU/Germany and explained the issue they asked for proof and then offered 200 Euro OBC.

Uk argument was that they don't charge more when prices go up, load of crap. They put in terms on their contract that says they can if Fuel/Port charges increase to a certain limit.

So what's the point in booking early if prices go up and down? They should look after the customers who book early either that or sort their pricing out the same as hotels....supply and demand...

EU prices were cheaper then UK for a while but it seems to have gone the other way for now. The upgrade fairy/refund deposit excuse is a load of rubbish , US do it because there is a few more million peoples' business to look after and also US customer's can just walk away and sail with anyone else. If anything the fact a deposit is refundable is the only reason why it goes on in the US, I would say the US customers are more protected , price wise of course.

Edited by monkeyh

I had this with an NCL cruise several years ago but I'm a US citizen. I booked an inside guarantee and was told I could not upgrade. I called back and was given some line about how it was because I was paid in full - it was not after final payment date I just chose to pay in full and be done with it. When I asked how that was fair as someone could just call up and book at a lower rate they then told me it was because they didn't have those rooms available - even though I could do a booking online right at the moment on the NCL site. I was eventually upgraded to an obstructed oceanview.

So my advice is call back. :)

Edited by khaide612

Just book through the US. NCL have no problem with people doing that.

Sometimes the UK prices are cheaper especially for the Jade and Spirit, but often the US are cheaper especially for the suites.

I have done this and guess what got a call to offer cheap upgrade to Suite. Never once had it when booking via UK.

Thank you for all your comments on this, I thought I should give you an update...

I recalled NCL and I remembered the name of a very helpful girl, Danielle, who I had spoken to previously, so I immediately asked to talk to her. I didn't mention my conversation with her colleague yesterday, I just asked about upgrading. She explained very clearly how in the UK their system will not allow any upgrade to be made unless they make some kind of revenue. This is why it automatically says I can't upgrade to an Ocean View, as the price is still lower than my initial payment. But rather than leaving it at that, saying there was nothing she could do, Danielle went away to speak to her manager and find a way to help me.

She called me back very quickly and told me that for a token fee of about £5-6 (!) to get around their regulations, I could upgrade to the highest grade ocean view cabin left. They would also waive the administration fee for doing this. Then, even better, there was an error with the computer system so I got my upgrade for free!

So it seems that there is indeed no OBC or free upgrades as standard in the UK when prices drop, which like others have said, is for a number of reasons, mainly centred around different rules and regulations in different countries. But like I said, I never wanted a refund or credit back, I knew what I was paying when I made my booking and I was fine with that price, I just wanted to explore the options of a cheap upgrade.

Danielle is a credit to NCL (I hope they read this!), she explained everything really well to me, in a friendly professional manner, and went out of her way to help me. And best of all, I now get some daylight and to see the ocean from my cabin :D

Edited by lara_lox

A bit of revenue always squeaks the wheels even in the US if you can go to a grade that is more expensive than you paid even if it is just a bit.

The upsell fairy(the one that calls out) is always after revenue but can negotiate a bit.

For us the problem on NCL is we don't like the mini suites so once in a balcony the next just is always a lot to a full suite.

Next cruise the balcony was $100pp more than the OV booked now dropped to $50pp more if it drops again we will look at moving although the balcony will not be much use on a winter cruise. we also have to watch the OBC $30ncl $80TA

I frequently read on here great stories from those of you in the US saying how you managed to upgrade your cabin. For example there is a current post about how a lady was her own Upgrade Fairy - she called up NCL and because a higher grade cabin was actually cheaper than her original, she got upgraded. Or people have the opportunity to pay slightly more but for a much better cabin. Obviously that's great news and makes clients very pleased with NCL customer service.

Well I decided to give this a try as that is now the case for me. I originally booked an inside guarantee stateroom as this was an unexpected cruise I hadn't budgeted for, and I am fine with whatever cabin I get. However on the UK NCL website, it now costs less to book a mid ship oceanview and only slightly more for a mid ship balcony, than I paid for my guarantee inside. The sailing has a lot of cabins available and they are obviously attempting to fill them by dropping the prices.

The NCL rep I spoke to said I am not allowed to upgrade to an oceanview, because they have to 'maintain the price of my booking.' He just kept repeating that to me when I asked him (politely!) to explain what that means and why I cannot upgrade (even with payment) when I know there are plenty of those cabins free. He would only let me change to a balcony but still paying significantly more than if I were to create a new booking online.

I understand that I was just pushing my luck, I paid what I was happy to at the time and don't expect I should get upgraded just because the prices dropped, but what really annoys me is that this does not seem to be the case in the US. It should be one standard rule for everyone, not different treatment depending on where you live. To me it gives the impression that NCL value their US clients more. Anyway, it's not often I rant on here, so thanks for bearing with me and letting me vent!

I don't think NCL favors anyone except maybe the frequent cruisers. We have been cruising with NCL for about 15 years, never gotten an upgrade. We did get an ONC when the rate dropped one time. I am not saying the person who posted her story isn't telling the truth, she would have no reason to lie, but I do think her situation might have been the exception. What you see on the net isn't always the whole story. This is also the case when you check and think there are cabins available, you may not know all the details.

Has people have mentioned- different laws in different counties. If you want those deals book through the NCL US office. That's what I do. I got a free upgrade yesterday from an inside to a balcony and on my last cruise on the Breakaway inside to a balcony for an extra $50 each. You just have to keep an eye on the prices, if you notice a price drop ring the US office. All worth the cost of an international phone call. IMO

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for all your comments on this, I thought I should give you an update...

I recalled NCL and I remembered the name of a very helpful girl, Danielle, who I had spoken to previously, so I immediately asked to talk to her. I didn't mention my conversation with her colleague yesterday, I just asked about upgrading. She explained very clearly how in the UK their system will not allow any upgrade to be made unless they make some kind of revenue. This is why it automatically says I can't upgrade to an Ocean View, as the price is still lower than my initial payment. But rather than leaving it at that, saying there was nothing she could do, Danielle went away to speak to her manager and find a way to help me.

She called me back very quickly and told me that for a token fee of about £5-6 (!) to get around their regulations, I could upgrade to the highest grade ocean view cabin left. They would also waive the administration fee for doing this. Then, even better, there was an error with the computer system so I got my upgrade for free!

So it seems that there is indeed no OBC or free upgrades as standard in the UK when prices drop, which like others have said, is for a number of reasons, mainly centred around different rules and regulations in different countries. But like I said, I never wanted a refund or credit back, I knew what I was paying when I made my booking and I was fine with that price, I just wanted to explore the options of a cheap upgrade.

Danielle is a credit to NCL (I hope they read this!), she explained everything really well to me, in a friendly professional manner, and went out of her way to help me. And best of all, I now get some daylight and to see the ocean from my cabin :D

Good news! Enjoy your cruise - and your room with a view!

Glad to hear NCL UK did their bit!

Good to hear that you got something sorted - we found a way round it but it took a letter to the USA which got passed onto the UK, many phone calls and now the director of customer services knows us by sight - not what we needed

I agree with an earlier poster - book through the USA if you think there maybe price drops but I have to say that only once in 11 cruises with them have we found the USA price cheaper

Having cruised on many lines over the years we do in the UK nearly always get a worse deal than booking in the US. Recently had the same with RC. I used to have shares in a cruise travel agency so kmow about the commissions and structures. Though I gave that up 7 or 8 years ago I have a good idea how it worked.

A few weeks ago I booked a pent house and a mini suite for two weeks on the Jade next August. The PH was around £6,400 and the MS a similar price (double the passengers). NCL offered $700 and $260 onboard credit and no discount whatsoever. I argued that I'd found a better price elsewhere and they said no still. Three travel agents offered no discount at all, the fourth an extra 8% off and the one I went with 10% off. Plus the onboard credit, so result. Commissions on NCL used to be the highest in the industry when I was involved - around 15%. To have got 10% off I guess it must still be similar.