Limiting the size of ships that can enter Venice

Storylady

Venice is concerned about large ships passing by St Mark's Square. In November of next year, they will start limiting the tonnage while they dig a channel from the west into Venice. And no more than five ships will be allowed at a time.

The new restriction won't apply to any of Holland Americas current fleet, but it will restrict the newest ship from entering as it is 100,000 tons.

"As of Nov. 1, 2014, ships larger than 96,000 tons, with a capacity of 3,000 to 3,500 passengers, will be banned from Venice."

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-divert-cruise-ships-historic-venice-192139600.html

It is my understanding HAL's new build will be 99,000 ton so you are correct..... it likely will not be permitted to sail by San Marco.

I'll never forget how beautiful it was when we sailed into and out of Venice. Happy we had the experience.

Edited by sail7seas

It is my understanding HAL's new build will be 99,000 ton so you are correct..... it likely will not be permitted to sail by San Marco.

I'll never forget how beautiful it was when we sailed into and out of Venice. Happy we had the experience.

Our first cruise in Europe was out of Venice on the Rotterdam. Since it was a back to back cruise, we had two sail outs of Venice. I never experienced the sail ins as I am usually sleeping. But I agree with you, it was a wonderful experience. Everyone should have the opportunity to do it once.

And we took our first transatlantic to the Mediterrean on the Westerdam in 2010 since we would have three days in Venice. I just loved the sail out of Venice past St Marks. In fact Venice is one of our favorite cities to visit and cruise out of. I will be looking for another cruise we can take before the new channel is built and we no longer are able to sail by St Marks.

Edited by Storylady

Fantastic!..:):):)

It's about time they have started to ban these mega ships from ruining the historic center..

Thanks for posting this..

Betty

This is their opening salvo. Now the negotiations will start and the city will see what concessions the cruise industry will make.

Venice is overrun, but so is Grand Cayman and many other ports. CCL can make a port in the Caribbean but it can't recreate Venice. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Will the reduction in the number of ships over 40,000 tons affect HAL's cruises next year? Sounds like some of HAL's cruises could be affected since only the a prinsendam is under 40,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/10432424/Confusion-over-Venice-cruise-ship-ban.html

another good reason to sail the Prinsendam;) Seriously, it looks like no one is saying - hopefully things are sorted out quickly so that those that have booked can make a decision before final payment if their itinerary is seriously changed.

Hopefully arrangements will be made for booked flights?