considering booking our 2nd cruise...are we crazy to cruise the same itinerary again?

valentinebaby1

not crazy at all! My first two cruises were the exact same itinerary... My third cruise coming up in January is my longest, follows the same itinerary, plus ads a couple more ports hehe

3rd cruise: Carnival Legend, January 26th - February 2nd, 2014

I'd book the same again. I am a creature of habit. We like going places we know so that things are comfortable. DH and I have done Disney every year because we stay at the same place and do the same things. We know what to expect and that is relaxing to me.

You are NOT crazy at all.. I have been on 2 cruises both of them the southern itinerary out of San Juan. First time on RCL Serenade of the Seas (it was an ok cruise) but we loved the ports so much we decided to try the same itinerary with Carnival. So 1/2 the price later we now LOVE LOVE LOVE Carnival, The Valor and the southern itinerary. We are going on the Magic in a couple weeks and are going to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel with 3 sea days. The bigger ships are okay for so many sea days cuz there are so many things to do but my husband is really worried he wont like 3 sea days. One thing we are doing on the Magic is going to the future cruise desk and booking an aft-wrap balcony for the Valor in Feb 2015.. We can't wait to go back for the 3rd time doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary. I would also like to do the Liberty Eastern itinerary. The one thing I don't know if I could give up is my Balcony. Watching as the ship arrived at each island from our balcony was awesome.

Book at least 6 months before and book early saver. you will get price protection even after final payment and after you have paid in full the price drops will be OBC. When we went in April we walked on with $300 OBC. Price dropped to just under $600 about 2 weeks before we sailed.

Did you eat at Punta de Vista in Old San Juan? Little sidewalk cafe across from the ship. Best Mofongo and Mojitos I have ever had.

Enjoy...

You are NOT crazy at all.. I have been on 2 cruises both of them the southern itinerary out of San Juan. First time on RCL Serenade of the Seas (it was an ok cruise) but we loved the ports so much we decided to try the same itinerary with Carnival. So 1/2 the price later we now LOVE LOVE LOVE Carnival, The Valor and the southern itinerary. We are going on the Magic in a couple weeks and are going to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel with 3 sea days. The bigger ships are okay for so many sea days cuz there are so many things to do but my husband is really worried he wont like 3 sea days. One thing we are doing on the Magic is going to the future cruise desk and booking an aft-wrap balcony for the Valor in Feb 2015.. We can't wait to go back for the 3rd time doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary. I would also like to do the Liberty Eastern itinerary. The one thing I don't know if I could give up is my Balcony. Watching as the ship arrived at each island from our balcony was awesome.

Book at least 6 months before and book early saver. you will get price protection even after final payment and after you have paid in full the price drops will be OBC. When we went in April we walked on with $300 OBC. Price dropped to just under $600 about 2 weeks before we sailed.

Did you eat at Punta de Vista in Old San Juan? Little sidewalk cafe across from the ship. Best Mofongo and Mojitos I have ever had.

Enjoy...

No we didn't eat there... *makes mental note to eat there if we go back to San Juan* :D

There isn't an early saver option at all though...even for Oct 2014, which I thought was strange...

Edited by valentinebaby1

No we didn't eat there... *makes mental note to eat there if we go back to San Juan* :D

There isn't an early saver option at all though...even for Oct 2014, which I thought was strange...

I think carnival takes the early saber option off sometimes to put another option on. When I checked October 2014 they have a Military discount but not the early saver. When I looked at the one I want in Feb 2015 the military discount is fine and I can do early saver. They may put it back but maybe it will have it in a different week than you looked at. Try another week. Good luck and I know you will enjoy it as much of not more the 2nd time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I did the same cruise last year (although the ship was Victory), and I can't wait to do it again. Valor remains my favorite ship, and the southern/eastern Caribbean itinerary is great.

What I like about repeating itineraries is that you really don't get your bearings the first time around, just popping into a port for a few hours and then leaving. I want to learn as much as I can about each port, try different things, and use what I've learned to get the most enjoyment the next time I visit.

I've done something over 115 total cruises, almost ALL in the Caribbean, so you can imagine how many times I've been to all of the major Caribbean ports, but I STILL can't wait to get aboard! There is simply no way that you could have done EVERYTHING there was to do that first time around, so BOOK IT! :D It's gonna be another FANTASTIC cruise.

"SKY"

I did the same cruise last year (although the ship was Victory), and I can't wait to do it again. Valor remains my favorite ship, and the southern/eastern Caribbean itinerary is great.

What I like about repeating itineraries is that you really don't get your bearings the first time around, just popping into a port for a few hours and then leaving. I want to learn as much as I can about each port, try different things, and use what I've learned to get the most enjoyment the next time I visit.

Could not agree more :D. We always make notes on the things we want to do the NEXT TIME we visit a certain port. We've done most of our cruises in the Caribbean and as stated by some, "we can't wait to go back".:D

Hubby and I took our first cruise (and our first trip together ever, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary) a few weeks ago. We have not been able to stop thinking about our trip, talking about our trip and dreaming about doing it all again someday.

We can currently get the same itinerary for next fall at a very affordable price.

Are we crazy to book the same exact trip again? The trip was on the Carnival Valor. We stayed a couple days in San Juan, PR before and 1 day after the cruise, and the cruise stops in St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten.

We've looked at other itineraries, but we really enjoyed San Juan and the 3 days we had before our cruise there. So cruising in/out of other ports doesn't excite us as much, at least not in the fall. We have enough airline miles (hubby used to travel a lot on business) for both our tickets free to Puerto Rico, so that isn't an issue at all.

The Valor is the only ship that leaves from San Juan.

Has anyone done the same itinerary twice and did you love it as much the 2nd time around or was it a let down since it wasn't new and exciting anymore?

Price is an issue as well, and currently the Valor is the lowest priced itinerary for Sept/Oct for a 7 night cruise, from any port.

We did snorkeling tours in St Thomas and Barbados and island tours for St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten. We could easily do completely different things in all of these ports than we did this year. We're also looking at a much smaller budget for this trip, so we're thinking we'd probably lean more towards just taking taxi's to the beaches instead of the booking big excursions for each port.

Since this cruise is so port intensive, we kind of are looking back and realizing how much we didn't do on the ship because we didn't have time or were too tired after being in port all day.

We are also looking at having to book an interior room instead of a balcony like we had before because of the price.

Any input on this idea is much appreciated!

I dont think its crazy at all..

Our first cruise was the Mexican Riviera and I feek like I didnt get to DO and SEE everything I wanted to. I will definitely go back !

Not crazy at all. We got back from our Sept. 25th wedding anniversary cruise and booked the same itinerary for next spring. There's so much to do in every place it's like a different visit. Plus, you know the ins and out of the ship.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Hey there! You are not crazy at all. :) I would LOVE to do this same itinerary again, Valor out of San Juan. There is so much to see and do on all of the islands that we'd be able to get a whole different prospective. When we get the chance to cruise again, I wouldn't hesitate to do this one again.

Reading through everyone's posts... it seems a resounding answer. You are very normal to want to do the same itinerary again. If you liked it there is no reason not to go back. Personally our first cruise was out of San Juan back in 1993 and while we loved it. We really did not take the time to explore Old San Juan and in more recent visits we have and that makes all the difference in the world. If I could, I would just stay on that itinerary..... I am kind of a creature of habit. I also think you get a more satisfying experience if you get deeper into the places you visit. Go again and have an even better time. And do another review. I really enjoyed your review of this last cruise. Thanks :D

I have sailed the same itinerary and ports several times. The way I see it is that every time we go, there's always some place new to visit while we are there (and so many places I want to go to that you can't do in just 1 day in port). So it doesn't bother me. However, I will say I have sailed the western enough times now that I want to get back to the eastern again (and try southern and Bermuda) that I probably won't be booking another western for awhile. :)

[quote name='valentinebaby1']Hubby and I took our first cruise (and our first trip together ever, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary) a few weeks ago. We have not been able to stop thinking about our trip, talking about our trip and dreaming about doing it all again someday.

We can currently get the same itinerary for next fall at a very affordable price.

Are we crazy to book the same exact trip again? The trip was on the Carnival Valor. We stayed a couple days in San Juan, PR before and 1 day after the cruise, and the cruise stops in St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten.

We've looked at other itineraries, but we really enjoyed San Juan and the 3 days we had before our cruise there. So cruising in/out of other ports doesn't excite us as much, at least not in the fall. We have enough airline miles (hubby used to travel a lot on business) for both our tickets free to Puerto Rico, so that isn't an issue at all.

The Valor is the only ship that leaves from San Juan.

Has anyone done the same itinerary twice and did you love it as much the 2nd time around or was it a let down since it wasn't new and exciting anymore?

Price is an issue as well, and currently the Valor is the lowest priced itinerary for Sept/Oct for a 7 night cruise, from any port.

We did snorkeling tours in St Thomas and Barbados and island tours for St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten. We could easily do completely different things in all of these ports than we did this year. We're also looking at a much smaller budget for this trip, so we're thinking we'd probably lean more towards just taking taxi's to the beaches instead of the booking big excursions for each port.

Since this cruise is so port intensive, we kind of are looking back and realizing how much we didn't do on the ship because we didn't have time or were too tired after being in port all day.

We are also looking at having to book an interior room instead of a balcony like we had before because of the price.

Any input on this idea is much appreciated![/QUOTE]

My first two cruises were same ship and itinerary. Fun Exciting. i knew what to expect and had more fun the second time around! So Crazy/ Maybe.. we all are a lil bit!!

So many responses, I can't begin to respond to everyone individually, but it seems the overwhelming response is that we're not crazy after all! That's good to know. I guess after thinking about it, the trips we've taken in the past with the family have all been repeated trips too (been to LA a couple of times, been to Orlando twice, Raleigh NC twice and I traveled to Texas every summer when I was growing up). So it's no surprise that we've been considering doing this cruise again. And I think that with every trip we've repeated in the past, it just got better and better.

Hubby and I are going to sit down this weekend and probably book it. It'll be for Oct 2014, which will give us almost a year to save for it. We will have to make some big cuts in our budget from the last time in order to do it, but at least since we know what to expect we know where we can cut corners to make it work :)

Thank you everyone for the input!