Formal night alive and well

marielco

Formal night is definitely not dying in Europe. Returned recently from Indy's last cruise before her TA. She was full, not a cabin to be had. The vast majority of passengers were British or European with only 100 Americans on board. The 2nd night was formal night and a very high percentage, I would say about 80/90% were dressed in formal wear and not just business suits but full dress suits (tux) for the men and gowns/cocktail wear for the ladies. I wonder if those who are saying the formal night is dying are judging it on cruises out of the USA, particularly Caribbean cruises where the weather is hot and the majority of passengers are from the USA?

PS we did not bring formal wear on the cruise as it was a short one and ate in the Windjammer which was very quiet on formal night.

I have just had a similar experience on Voyager (14 night repositioning cruise Singapore to Sydney)

We had 3 formal nights and I would say close to 50% of the men were in tuxes with the rest in suits, with ladies in predominantly comctail dresses and some long gowns. There seemed to be very few people who did not participate.

I think the ones reporting it is dead or dying are those who just wish that to be so. All of my cruises have been in the Caribbean, with primarily US passengers aboard, and there has been no sign of the formal nights being dead or on life-support. I will say that the average dress is a bit less formal than what you describe, though - more suits and fewer tuxes, plus maybe 10 - 20% of people dressed casually.

I think the ones reporting it is dead or dying are those who just wish that to be so. All of my cruises have been in the Caribbean, with primarily US passengers aboard, and there has been no sign of the formal nights being dead or on life-support. I will say that the average dress is a bit less formal than what you describe, though - more suits and fewer tuxes, plus maybe 10 - 20% of people dressed casually.

Ain't that the truth.

Disagree! Just back from Oasis and did not see one tuxedo on formal night. In addition, I would estimate 30-40% of the men did not wear suits or sport jackets. The women were typically much more dressed up than the men!

THANK GOD!

Sorry, but we enjoy cruising and we enjoy one of the true traditions of cruising, and that is formal night.

OK, so I'm a snob, but a very well dressed snob!

We must be snobs too - love dressing for formal night!!

Was alive and doing very well on our recent Splendour sailing out of Venice. I would guess (and I say guess) there was a higher percentage in formal dress on this sailing than on our Allure sailing in May. However, even on Allure, it wasn't dead, just a little less obvious.

Disagree! Just back from Oasis and did not see one tuxedo on formal night. In addition, I would estimate 30-40% of the men did not wear suits or sport jackets. The women were typically much more dressed up than the men!

So, which part do you disagree with? My estimate, based on my cruises, of 10-20% dressed casually (vs. your estimate, based on your cruise, of 30-40%)? Maybe that's a real difference on the Oasis vs the ships I've been on recently (Voyager/Navigator), or maybe it's a difference of perception. :cool:

Hi, we were on the same cruise and took our formal gear, a little unsure about looking stupid. We were pleasantly surprised as we have been on Celebrity for our last 3 cruises and didn't expect the IOTS to be very formal.

We loved it, it was great to see about 90% of folks having a great time in their formal gear. Loads of people had made a real effort and seemed to be enjoying the whole event.

The waiters did their procession during the meal so there was much napkin waving and singing. I know that some people hate it, but all we saw was a lot of people having a great night

It was a great evening - and the food, service and atmosphere in the MDR on freedom dining was great. Thanks to the fab staff at table 684 ! We also enjoyed the string quartet / pianist who played during dinner. A nice touch.

To be honest, it was the one of the things that RCI and the IOTS did better than the Celebrity Silhouette.

Must also mention that the photographers on the ship were fab too - never purchased one photo on the Silhouette - we actually purchased 5 from this ship as they were all to good to leave behind.

:):D

Edited by Presto2

So, which part do you disagree with? My estimate, based on my cruises, of 10-20% dressed casually (vs. your estimate, based on your cruise, of 30-40%)? Maybe that's a real difference on the Oasis vs the ships I've been on recently (Voyager/Navigator), or maybe it's a difference of perception. :cool:

I think your 10-20% figure is way low. In addition, the fact that tuxedos are almost non-existant shos that "formal" is almost dead.

I should say that I bring and wear a black suit on formal night, but what's the point if almost half the dining room couldn't care less?

I think your 10-20% figure is way low. In addition, the fact that tuxedos are almost non-existant shos that "formal" is almost dead.

I should say that I bring and wear a black suit on formal night, but what's the point if almost half the dining room couldn't care less?

The top end of my estimate (20%) isn't that far from the low end of your estimate (30%). Again, it may be different on Oasis, but the dining room on all my cruises has been predominantly "dressed up" on formal night. I agree that tuxes aren't all that common, but far from non-existent on my sailings.

Formal night is definitely not dying in Europe. Returned recently from Indy's last cruise before her TA. She was full, not a cabin to be had. The vast majority of passengers were British or European with only 100 Americans on board. The 2nd night was formal night and a very high percentage, I would say about 80/90% were dressed in formal wear and not just business suits but full dress suits (tux) for the men and gowns/cocktail wear for the ladies. I wonder if those who are saying the formal night is dying are judging it on cruises out of the USA, particularly Caribbean cruises where the weather is hot and the majority of passengers are from the USA?

PS we did not bring formal wear on the cruise as it was a short one and ate in the Windjammer which was very quiet on formal night.

We were on that cruise and can confirm that there were a lot of tuxes in evidence. It is a shame that the service did not quite match the dress-up (IOHO). We saved a bundle on our usual bar-bill as getting a drink was often a major performance.

Don't get me started on the ATD on the last night (DW threw a major wobbly about not being able to get into a dining room with less than half an hour queuing).

RCCL need to take a leaf from NCLs book - if there is a queue for the dining room - issue a pager and a voucher for a drink and all is sweetness and light - it is not rocket science.

We are big spending cruisers - RCCL lost two potential future money-spinners from that cruise. (Think bar bill close to cruise cost:eek:)

RCCL need to take a leaf from NCLs book - if there is a queue for the dining room - issue a pager and a voucher for a drink and all is sweetness and light - it is not rocket science.

NO. NO. NO... We have been on NCL and it is ridiculous to be given a pager and wait around for a half an hour or more!

Voucher for a drink???? Never heard of that!

:)

We were on that cruise and can confirm that there were a lot of tuxes in evidence. It is a shame that the service did not quite match the dress-up (IOHO). We saved a bundle on our usual bar-bill as getting a drink was often a major performance.

Don't get me started on the ATD on the last night (DW threw a major wobbly about not being able to get into a dining room with less than half an hour queuing).

We are big spending cruisers - RCCL lost two potential future money-spinners from that cruise. (Think bar bill close to cruise cost:eek:)

We waited about 10 minutes on the formal night but on night 4 we waited 20 mins but went to the Champagne Bar for a drink. We've done that before on P&O for about 40 mins and on land for up to an hour. No issue for us at all. We expect this on ATD -

I know that some people have criticised this cruise, but as first timers on RCI used to something more formal we had a fabulous time and just 'went with the flow'.

We always dress for formal nights, my DH brings his tux and I bring long formals. It makes for special nights;)

That's nice, but how do or your DH feel to be seated next to folks who are dressed casually?.. You took the time and trouble to pack responsibly. Please don't say that you don't care because it may be true for you, but not for your husband! I know!

Just returned from a cruise to Bernuda on the Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey and formal night was alive and doing very well. Most were dressed iin suits and sport jackets and a few tuxes. Did see some with shirt and tie and a few with a sport shirt only, but overall most were dressed for both formal night which my wife and I were glad to see.

NO. NO. NO... We have been on NCL and it is ridiculous to be given a pager and wait around for a half an hour or more!

Voucher for a drink???? Never heard of that!

We have only ever waited once for dinner on NCL and that was Christmas Day. That night there were waiters with trays of bubbly and canapes so plenty of happy people. The voucher thing is something I read on these forums.

I'm not knocking RCCL - apparently the regular Maitre D was on leave that week so things were not as smooth as perhaps they should have been. However the atmosphere on board was just not the same in our opinion.

You also need to bear in mind that my experience is with European cruises - yours are with US cruises. I have a pet theory (no evidence to back it up though), that there are significant differences between cruise lines' US offerings and European offerings. I have read reviews of cruises in the US and the same line's cruises in Europe and I do wonder if they are the same company. Maybe our expectations are different?